What does it mean...

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

d3funct.q45

What does it mean...

Post by d3funct.q45 »

Hi,

Im new to aviation scanning - I was wondering if someone could help me get a leg up on some information.

I have all the frequencies programmed from other threads, but Im a bit confused as to what exactly Im listening to...

ie.

What is Perth/Melb Centre
Is Perth Departures for planes schediuled for take off?
What is ATIS?

If someone wouldnt mind explaining what Im listening too, that would be terrific.

Cheers,
http://www.chrishermann.net

Scanning with; Uniden BC61XLT.
jasonjag
Banned

Re: What does it mean...

Post by jasonjag »

d3funct.q45 wrote:Hi,

Im new to aviation scanning - I was wondering if someone could help me get a leg up on some information.

I have all the frequencies programmed from other threads, but Im a bit confused as to what exactly Im listening to...

ie.

What is Perth/Melb Centre
Is Perth Departures for planes schediuled for take off?
What is ATIS?

If someone wouldnt mind explaining what Im listening too, that would be terrific.

Cheers,
I have sent you a PM, I can explain things to you....jj
yorky

Post by yorky »

For others playing at home:

ATIS is the Automated Terminal Information Service which is a recording of the current weather/airport info. You listen to it before you take off or land.

Melbourne Centre is who controls airspace in Aus outside of normal airports I believe.

Perth Departure/Arrival is who aircraft contact around Perth airspace (and when inbound/outbound from Perth).
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
w0mbat
Scanners and Receivers: AOR 8200 MKIII

Post by w0mbat »

To continue the questions, why do some planes say "Heavy" after their callsigns?
EG "Cathay 171 Heavy"

--Steve
yorky

Post by yorky »

I forget the exact weight, but its for, you guessed it, heavy aircraft. Just makes the controllers aware that its a large aircraft.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
jasonjag
Banned

Heavy

Post by jasonjag »

yorky wrote:I forget the exact weight, but its for, you guessed it, heavy aircraft. Just makes the controllers aware that its a large aircraft.
"Yorky's" pretty spot on there, most AC are taking off on runway 06 (7500 thousand Ft) today and tonight, heavy's will use 03, (10500 ft) for the longer length runway, all have used 03 today for landing as the x wind is at a safe level. AC 767, and above are classed as heavy's as well as A340-500 and Jumbo's.
Some other smaller AC will ask tower if they can use part or all of 03 for take off..lot depends on direction they are enroute and the wind,..
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Melbourne Center Covers the southern Half of Australia and the Indian Ocean.

Brisbane Center Covers the Northern Half of Australia

This image is to give you some idea of the coverage in Australia, However it is not the Full coverage, as there are many more Sectors between YMML (Melbourne) and YSSY (Sydney)

This Image shows the the Sectors we use for our online Sim Network.

IMAGE Source http://vatpac.org/cms/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=62

Departures...
Departures Own the airspace along the Assigned Departure Runway to 5000ft, the Purpose of Departures is to Identify the Aircraft, ensure the Primary Radar Return is correct, and assign a higher level, out of Perth it is Flight Level 130, or 13,000 Ft, then they Hand of to APP

Winds and Limits...
A runway can be active for up to a 20 KT crosswind
A runway can be Active with a 5 Kt down wind on a DRY runway and a 0 Kt Down wind on a WET runway

Weight Classes...
Weight Classes are based on Wake Turbulence, a 737 is Medium,
767's are Heavy as are 747's A330's and A340's

757's... Not that we see many here in Perth, some different Configurations will depend weather the aircraft is M or H.

A new Classification with the introduction of the A380 Super Jumbo, the Class for that is Super Heavy.

The call sign Heavy is usually only Appended to Cargo Aircraft
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

AO11912 wrote:Melbourne Center Covers…(etc)
Thanks for that!
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Agreed! Thanks mate, interesting reading!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Infernal

Post by Infernal »

If any one else wants any more answers to Aviation Procdures in regards to Positions used, Definitions EG SID/STARS, Airspace clasification, Shout a post here and i should be able to answer it.
Airwaves

Post by Airwaves »

I have read with interest this topic. For departures from Regional airports, Kalg, Albany, Esperance, etc.... Does Melb centre control those or what is the process?
Infernal

Post by Infernal »

Yes Melbourne center controls these.

But Center only handles the Airways Clearance and once the aircraft is airborne, as these places are all outside Radar Coverage, they therefore operate as a Procedural Aerodrome, the controller can not see the aircraft's Tag and can only rely on reports from the pilot.

Australia has limited Radar coverage, which starts from Cairns, Travels south and around to Adelaide, in what they call the J curve, Radar is also in Perth for 300 NM and Darwin. Outside those areas, no one can see the plane on a radar scope.

A typical Call would be from a pilot taxiing at Esperence, with no Tower.

(note OZW is the ICAO code for Skywest, and their call sign is OZWEST)

"Melbourne Center, and all Traffic Esperence, OZW123, Taxi's Esperence to RWY XX, for IFR DEP to the North"

"OZW123, No reported IFR Traffic Esperence (if that's the case, if not Melb will advise OZW123 of any IFR traffic Movements with in 10 Mins of the aerodome) Squawk 4454, call me passing FL150 (15000 ft)

OZWEST 123 will then switch to CTAF (Common Traffic Advisory Frequency) and broadcast his intentions of theta channel.

OZWEST 123 then departs and tracks via the 275 Outbound Radial from ESP VOR and calls Melbourne Center to enter Controller airspace.

"OZW123, Departed Esperence Time 0255Z (all times in UTC) on climb passing FL130 for FL150, Tracking via the 275 Outbound Radial, Request Clearance"

OZW123, your cleared to enter controlled Airspace on climb to FL 210, your cleared to Perth Via flight planned route"
Airwaves

Post by Airwaves »

Awesome. Yes very informative. Appreciate your detail aswell. Any thing else Will be keen to ask. Thanks AO11912
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

AO11912 - you clearly are not up to speed on the correct terminology that is used in the air....
"Melbourne Center, and all Traffic Esperence, OZW123, Taxi's Esperence to RWY XX, for IFR DEP to the North" "
There is not need to advise centre as to what direction you are tracking - they know your intended destination from your flight plan - unless you are making flight plan ammendment...

"OZW123, Departed Esperence Time 0255Z (all times in UTC) on climb passing FL130 for FL150, Tracking via the 275 Outbound Radial, Request Clearance"
Again - read up on your procedures - you dont say "Time" - simply state - departed 55 - as you dont need to give the 4 digit UTC. It runs more like .... Centre OZW123 departed ESP 55, tracking 275 reference the omni, passing FL130 request clearance - since there it is not a procedural aerodrome - there is no need to give your estimate for the first waypoint.

But then again - if you cant get the message out correctly - just say what you need to say to get your message out - but the correct terminology cuts down chatter on the freqs - that are becoming more and more busy.

In relation to your comments earlier ...

**Winds and Limits...
**A runway can be active for up to a 20 KT crosswind
**A runway can be Active with a 5 Kt down wind on a DRY runway and a 0 Kt Down wind on a WET runway

This is airport specific - you cannot use this as a rule of thumb- as each aiport is different. Numerous time i have landed at SYD - you will land with a 25kt Xwind and numerous times i have landed at various controlled airport with Tail wind up to 10knots

Weight Classes...
Weight Classes are based on Wake Turbulence, a 737 is Medium,
767's are Heavy as are 747's A330's and A340's

757's... Not that we see many here in Perth, some different Configurations will depend weather the aircraft is M or H.

The 757 is clasified as HEAVY

A new Classification with the introduction of the A380 Super Jumbo, the Class for that is Super Heavy.

Not called SUPER HEAVY - the wake turbulance seperation for the a380 is greater than that use for the 747 and other heavy aircraft

The call sign Heavy is usually only Appended to Cargo Aircraft

This is not correct again !!!! Geez - the use of Heavy is dependant on the MTOW of the aircraft - cargo has nothing to do with it mate !!!

Some times, the a 767/A330 will append with Heavy and sometimes it will not - it all depends on the weight of the aircraft

Hope this provides a more correct answer for those that are interested in being more correct
Last edited by orangepeel on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

thats why he is a paramedic and not a comms officer
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)