Red Bull Air Race 2008

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

jasonjag
Banned

F18 Hornet

Post by jasonjag »

westernwedgey wrote:Just heard the jets fly over swan river from my place in Joondanna, "sounded" like they came up the river towards the hills, turned around and came back towards the ocean. I thought i could even hear them then fly up the coastline back to Pearce.

The sound was tremendous you could hear the initial swoosh followed by the low booms of sound ricocheting around the buildings and hills out this way.
What you heard was the F18 Hornett doing its litlle display over the swan river for the red bull , on again tomorrow,, jj
Nafenn

Re: F18 Hornet

Post by Nafenn »

jasonjag wrote:
westernwedgey wrote:Just heard the jets fly over swan river from my place in Joondanna, "sounded" like they came up the river towards the hills, turned around and came back towards the ocean. I thought i could even hear them then fly up the coastline back to Pearce.

The sound was tremendous you could hear the initial swoosh followed by the low booms of sound ricocheting around the buildings and hills out this way.
What you heard was the F18 Hornett doing its litlle display over the swan river for the red bull , on again tomorrow,, jj
and what a display!

some poor little kid near us had his ears covered by some guy, who turned out to be his uncle, who turned out to be doug :? ... Such a sweet Uncle Doug :)
Last edited by Nafenn on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

hey quick question. where did it go when it went up toward the sky? i saw it go high up and then white cloud bluzz and it was gone forever, i spent 5mins loooking At the sky. where the hell did it go :?:
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
jasonjag
Banned

where did it go

Post by jasonjag »

playworth wrote:hey quick question. where did it go when it went up toward the sky? i saw it go high up and then white cloud bluzz and it was gone forever, i spent 5mins loooking At the sky. where the hell did it go :?:
I presume you are talking about the F18 hornett, well she went straight up to 10000 ft and leveled off to clear ATC air space and back to Pearce AFB. same as first year, In the 1st year it finished by going straight up firing anti missile star bursts that it fired out each side to deflect in comming missiles was the high light that year, yesterday was a poor show in comparrison.. jj
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Nafenn wrote:
jasonjag wrote:

and what a display!

some poor little kid near us had his ears covered by some guy, who turned out to be his uncle, who turned out to be doug :? ... Such a sweet Uncle Doug :)
Doug!!!!!!!!
jasonjag
Banned

Thankyou to all

Post by jasonjag »

A Thankyou to all who went to the trouble to correctly find out the air frequencys for the Red Bull Air Race, they came in handy to listen to the action and show, jj
Nafenn

Re: Thankyou to all

Post by Nafenn »

jasonjag wrote:A Thankyou to all who went to the trouble to correctly find out the air frequencys for the Red Bull Air Race, they came in handy to listen to the action and show, jj
All Frequencies came from different sources, but thanks from me to Zedebee (doug) for confirming the frequencies.
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Nafenn wrote:some poor little kid near us had his ears covered by some guy, who turned out to be his uncle, who turned out to be doug :? ... Such a sweet Uncle Doug :)
He's a big boy now, he's four ... he can cover his own ears ;)

He said to me "It's not really scary, it's just like thunder but louder" - awwwwww :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

We'll make an SES recruit out of him yet! just give him 12 years...
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
d0t-bat

Post by d0t-bat »

F/A18 Hornet was bloody awesome. Hearing stuff on the scanner was very handy.

gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Just Brilliant!!!! 8)
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
jasonjag
Banned

Hornet

Post by jasonjag »

d0t-bat wrote:F/A18 Hornet was bloody awesome. Hearing stuff on the scanner was very handy.
She was fantastic as D0t-bat says,but not as good as the 1st year,where simular to yesterday,,sat almost stationary on its tail and after a few more high speed manovoiurs,she belted across the water and then straight up to over 10000 ft fireing hundreds of anti missile star flares out, that was the awesome to see that year. and yes the radio freq were very handy..
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Aussie Matt Hall earns his Red Bull Air Race wings
AUSTRALIAN Matt Hall is one step away from earning a berth in the lucrative Red Bull Air Race series after a successful qualification camp in Spain.

Hall, a former RAAF fighter pilot, was awarded a coveted Super Licence for his efforts in Spain and now has all the qualifications needed to compete in the series.

Canada's Pete McLeod, France's Francois Le Vot, Germany's Matthias Dolderer and Japan's Yoshihide Muroya joined Hall in gaining Super Licences, but their place in next year's championships is far from a done deal.

"By getting the Super Licence they are on standby and have to be race-ready within two weeks if required,'' tournament director Heinz Moeller said.

Hall, 37, flew combat operations in Iraq in 2003 and impressed the air race officials with his skill at the qualification camp.

"To tell the truth, it's been a little easier than I thought it would be,'' Hall said.

"It probably has a lot to do with my training in the Air Force. I've spent thousands of hours at 100 feet and 500 knots, so being 150 knots at 50 feet is nothing dramatic.

"It's very different flying past things. You don't normally do that in the jets. The new dimension is how to turn at low level without climbing or descending.''

The New South Welshman would be the first Australian to compete in the Red Bull Air Race should he be granted entry.

The tournament, which is held over eight stages in locations around the world, attracts hundreds of thousands of spectators.

Pilots race at up to 370kmh through a low-level aerial track featuring 20m inflatable pylons.

Perth will host the eighth and final stage of this year's World Championship, with Austria's Hannes Arch requiring only a top-nine finish to take home the title in just his second season.
Courtesy of PerthNow
Nathan Fenn

jasonjag
Banned

Red Bull Still flying

Post by jasonjag »

ATC have closed the air corridor to the coast as RBAR AC are flying around, Rescue 65 required to get clearence from RBAR Tower to land at Charlies Hospital. seems bad accident at Cunderdin as R65 and RFDS are inbound from there, jj 1155
d0t-bat

Post by d0t-bat »

Another one, unprocessed just cropped.