Red Bull Air Race 2008

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

AVBFS wrote:yer but think about it if we in here find out the freqs then they go on the forum which allows people access to the freqs not meaning us the one that dont do stupid things but all the other idiots that mite and that means a risk to safety at the race so its best not to release them at all. and besides we can just search for them on the day.
I understand what you're saying, but I think it's a little pompous of the RBAR organisers to suggest that the radio frequencies in use are some kind of state secret when, as you say, it'll be fairly easy to find out on the day.

It just irritates me that this kind of thing goes on - the information itself I'm sure is public - as Jasonjag says, it's happening in Perth's airspace, so surely some kind of official paperwork has to be lodged requesting the use of certain frequencies in the air band. And once that paperwork is lodged with ... whoever ... (CASA?), then it should be publicly available.

Radio scanning has always been seen as a somewhat shady hobby, and I'm tired of the implication that wanting to know things like frequencies means you must be up to no good. I'm determined to stick to the letter of the law, which says that listening to any radio frequency that's not carrying a telephone call is perfectly legal. That's the basis that this site operates on. If the information is legal and public, it's welcome.

So, if anyone DOES come across information about what frequencies will be in use at the RBAR, please post 'em up!
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Zebedee wrote:
written_ficton wrote:I agree with Jo's statement
Really?

In what way does it "open the airwaves to interference and potential chatter" when someone is merely "listening in"?

Listening is a passive activity that, the last time I checked, causes absolutely no interference.
Agree but there are some di******* in today's society that will abuse this and stuff everything up!

That's why this should remain confidential.... however do some research on the previous years......
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

I have sent off another e-mail to them, and i am keeping an active eye on NAIPS for any NOTAMS or Restricted Airspace updates
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

Nafenn wrote:I have sent off another e-mail to them, and i am keeping an active eye on NAIPS for any NOTAMS or Restricted Airspace updates
We all know what NAIPS stands for don't we? Never Actually Intended to Provide a Service :lol:

Cheers, CC 8)
jasonjag
Banned

Air space

Post by jasonjag »

As far as I know all commercial AC not permitted west of 21/03 and 24/06 centerline, required to high speed climb to min 1500 ft then to 6000 ft, All other AC involved in RBAR not permitted east of Burswood, north of City skyline and West of Perth waters, not including Kings Park to Canning Bridge, not above 1500 ft. jj
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

6000 Ft is the standard auto release departure Altitude out of Perth

Like wise Sydney is 5000 for jets and 3000 for Props
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Well have fun anyway all those that are going to go watch, I want to see lots of nice pictures in my subsection :)
Unfortunately I will be on a FESA workplace trainer course so that I can teach people how to get lost...talk on a radio, and probably a couple of other things while I'm at it! :)
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

ConstableCare wrote:
Nafenn wrote:I have sent off another e-mail to them, and i am keeping an active eye on NAIPS for any NOTAMS or Restricted Airspace updates
We all know what NAIPS stands for don't we? Never Actually Intended to Provide a Service :lol:

Cheers, CC 8)
even i dont know what it stands for :P. Its a Pilot Breifing Service Setup by Air Services Australia.
jasonjag wrote:As far as I know all commercial AC not permitted west of 21/03 and 24/06 centerline, required to high speed climb to min 1500 ft then to 6000 ft, All other AC involved in RBAR not permitted east of Burswood, north of City skyline and West of Perth waters, not including Kings Park to Canning Bridge, not above 1500 ft. jj
Even so, there should be a NOTAM, notifying pilots of the restrictions. My understanding is that, for saftey no aircraft will be allowed it the City airspace during the races. no NOTAM yet.
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I know it's not exactly what we're looking for but . . . . . the RBAR website in the FAQ section says:
Can I pick up the Red Bull Air Race frequency on the radio?
Yes, you can follow the race on FM 104.1 mhz.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

Nafenn wrote:
ConstableCare wrote:

Cheers, CC 8)
even i dont know what it stands for :P. Its a Pilot Breifing Service Setup by Air Services Australia.
I know what it is - it was meant to be funny - as in :lol:
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

ConstableCare wrote:
Nafenn wrote:
ConstableCare wrote: We all know what NAIPS stands for don't we? Never Actually Intended to Provide a Service :lol:

Cheers, CC 8)
I know what it is - it was meant to be funny - as in :lol:
*facepalm*
Nathan Fenn

Always RX

Post by Always RX »

AIP Supplement > http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/PUB ... s8-h81.pdf

NOTAMS:

C0845/08
HOLDING FUEL ADVISORY DUE ACTIVATION OF R910
REF AIPSUP H81/08 RED BULL AIR RACE.
AIRCRAFT ARRIVING PERTH 0300-0900 - 10 MIN
AIRCRAFT CONDUCTING INSTRUMENT TRAINING - 20 MIN
FROM 10 290300 TO 11 020800

C0846/08
MISSED APCH PROC IN VMC
WHEN R910 ACT REF AIP SUP H81/08 RED BULL AIR RACE
THE FOLLOWING AMENDED MISSED APPROACH PROCEDURE IS REQUIRED
WHEN CLOUD BASE GREATER THAN 2800FT AND VISIBILITY 5KMS OR GREATER.
RWY 24 - TRACK 240 THEN NOT BELOW 1500FT TURN LEFT TRACK 195 CLIMB TO
3000FT OR AS DIRECTED BY ATC.
RWY 21 - TRACK 195 CLIMB TO 3000FT OR AS DIRECTED BY ATC RWY 03 -
TRACK 015 AT NOT BELOW 2000FT AND BEFORE 6.5DME TURN RIGHT TRACK 060
CLIMB TO 3000FT.
FROM 10 290300 TO 11 030300
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Always RX wrote:AIP Supplement > http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/PUB ... s8-h81.pdf

NOTAMS:

C0845/08
HOLDING FUEL ADVISORY DUE ACTIVATION OF R910
REF AIPSUP H81/08 RED BULL AIR RACE.
AIRCRAFT ARRIVING PERTH 0300-0900 - 10 MIN
AIRCRAFT CONDUCTING INSTRUMENT TRAINING - 20 MIN
FROM 10 290300 TO 11 020800

C0846/08
MISSED APCH PROC IN VMC
WHEN R910 ACT REF AIP SUP H81/08 RED BULL AIR RACE
THE FOLLOWING AMENDED MISSED APPROACH PROCEDURE IS REQUIRED
WHEN CLOUD BASE GREATER THAN 2800FT AND VISIBILITY 5KMS OR GREATER.
RWY 24 - TRACK 240 THEN NOT BELOW 1500FT TURN LEFT TRACK 195 CLIMB TO
3000FT OR AS DIRECTED BY ATC.
RWY 21 - TRACK 195 CLIMB TO 3000FT OR AS DIRECTED BY ATC RWY 03 -
TRACK 015 AT NOT BELOW 2000FT AND BEFORE 6.5DME TURN RIGHT TRACK 060
CLIMB TO 3000FT.
FROM 10 290300 TO 11 030300
Cheers Always RX, guess i was looking in the wrong place
Nathan Fenn

robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

That reminds me. Is there a way to find out what permanent NOTAMs are in place around Perth (not just red bull)?
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

robbage wrote:That reminds me. Is there a way to find out what permanent NOTAMs are in place around Perth (not just red bull)?
Yes, NAIPS - http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/brief/

Registration is free... after registered click on Area Briefing, type in Flight ID (anything, dosent matter), and Area 9600.

NOTAMS are down the bottom :)
Nathan Fenn