Domestic Flight - Medical Emergency

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

auntys_eyes

Domestic Flight - Medical Emergency

Post by auntys_eyes »

If any one was listening to Perth domestic arrivals on Sunday arvo about 1pm, they may have heard an inbound QANTAS flight requesting an ambulance and a medical team. Was involved in this as the lady sitting next to me had some sort of fit, became unconcious for about 10-15 seconds and vomitted (more than any human i've seen :( ). Happened just before we started descent about half an hour out. Was able to assist with patient care until landing. Airport Fire & Rescue crew were first responders when the plane arrived at the terminal and the SJA crew boarded a few minutes later. All involved... flight crew, airport crew and SJA were very friendly yet professional. I stayed with the patient until taken for transport by SJA. An exciting way to finish a weekend in Adelaide!
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
gkoutlis

Re: Domestic Flight - Medical Emergency

Post by gkoutlis »

auntys_eyes wrote:If any one was listening to Perth domestic arrivals on Sunday arvo about 1pm, they may have heard an inbound QANTAS flight requesting an ambulance and a medical team. Was involved in this as the lady sitting next to me had some sort of fit, became unconcious for about 10-15 seconds and vomitted (more than any human i've seen :( ). Happened just before we started descent about half an hour out. Was able to assist with patient care until landing. Airport Fire & Rescue crew were first responders when the plane arrived at the terminal and the SJA crew boarded a few minutes later. All involved... flight crew, airport crew and SJA were very friendly yet professional. I stayed with the patient until taken for transport by SJA. An exciting way to finish a weekend in Adelaide!
Well done mate - Good on you - It's nice to know that there are people that help others in such times like this - hope she's okay.

G
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

Good work. The crew would have called ahead on QF's company frequency for the firefighters and paramedics to be there on arrival - I've heard a few of these over the years. If you'd been connecting with another flight or were on a long international flight, they probably would have upgraded you to business class for the next sector.
auntys_eyes

Re: Domestic Flight - Medical Emergency

Post by auntys_eyes »

gkoutlis wrote:...It's nice to know that there are people that help others in such times like this...
Bit hard not not to help when you're trapped between the window and the person involved :)
Steve wrote:If you'd been connecting with another flight or were on a long international flight, they probably would have upgraded you to business class for the next sector.
My 'reward' was a nice cold bottle of bubbly courtesy of QANTAS, and a sincere thank you from all involved.

VBFB Member

VK6MJS

Post by VK6MJS »

The last time I checked you didn't drink......I do :lol:
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

VK6MJS wrote:The last time I checked you didn't drink...
Last time you checked was a long time ago and in a different environment :lol: . We have both grown up and come a long way since then 8) . Have since developed an appreciation of a 'fine white' with a good meal and shared with good company :wink: :D

VBFB Member

VK6MJS

Post by VK6MJS »

bugger guess I don't get a free bottle of bubbly then.

btw
Anything on the scanner about a fire around Yokine I can smell smoke quite strongly here.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

not that i have heard :shock:

VBFB Member

Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

have you got a first aid sertificate , i got a senior first aid ticket about 3 months ago and , thank god , havent had to use it yet , i was told alot of people just freez up or do nothing when there in that sort of situation doesnt matter how close the the person they are, but you did good mate , souds like she was in safe hands :D
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Lucas_arts_182 wrote:have you got a first aid sertificate...
Got a Childhood First Aid Cert many years ago when my wife operated a Family Day Care business from home. It was a requirement of the License, but it was specifically aimed at first aid for children, and many years ago :) .

VBFB Member

auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Received an email today from the lady involved. She is back home in Sydney now with a dose of the flu, but is otherwise ok. Said she spent 3 hours at RPH for observation before being given the all clear.

VBFB Member

Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

auntys_eyes wrote:
VK6MJS wrote:The last time I checked you didn't drink...
Last time you checked was a long time ago and in a different environment :lol: . We have both grown up and come a long way since then 8) . Have since developed an appreciation of a 'fine white' with a good meal and shared with good company :wink: :D
Does that mean you want a bottle of fine white instead of the beer I owe you Aunty, actually it wouldnt be bad sitting back with a glass of Brown Brothers. I'm on the Kate Morgan diet so one glass wont hurt!

8)
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Rockjet wrote:Does that mean you want a bottle of fine white instead of the beer I owe you Aunty...
We'll get there eventually RJ :lol: Would be more than happy with a can of Coke if nothing else.

VBFB Member

bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

:D
Last edited by bomber on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Was it a good outcome for all involved??

VBFB Member