Am I hearing things?

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

Night_Ryder
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Night_Ryder »

I know that may have came off like an attack but trust me it wasnt, far from it. :)
ADMIN NOTE: Account details transferred to "Reevesy"
cat21

Post by cat21 »

I understood from my lessons that a PAN call was more for onboard emergencies or the like...not for the actual craft ie charter plane with passenger suspected heart attack...
Night_Ryder
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Night_Ryder »

Yea thats true
Kombi

From Encylapedia.....

Post by Kombi »

gkoutlis wrote:
Night_Ryder wrote:
Distress calls have absolute priority over all other communications on that frequency, and the word MAYDAY commands immediate radio silence: which should continue until it is seen that communication has been properly established between the station in distress and a responsible authority, and assistance is being provided.
I assume when it says "distress" it refers to Mayday calls, therefore a mayday call has priority over a PAN call.
Similarly PAN-PAN urgency communications have priority over all other communications except distress calls.
Fair call - I rest my case :wink:
(FROM ENCYLAPEDIA)
A call of pan-pan means that there is an emergency on board a boat, ship, aircraft or other vehicle but that, for the time being at least, there is no immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself. This is distinct from a Mayday call, which means that there is imminent danger to life or to the continued viability of the vessel itself. Thus 'pan-pan' will inform potential rescuers (including emergency services and other craft in the area) that a safety problem exists whereas 'mayday' will call upon them to drop all other activities and immediately instigate a rescue attempt.
silent_wingz

Post by silent_wingz »

You got it Kombi (except for the spelling of encyclopedia!)
Last edited by silent_wingz on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kombi

Well

Post by Kombi »

silent_wingz wrote:You got it Kombi
Well you all should have asked me first hahahahahhaaaaaaaa
Night_Ryder
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Night_Ryder »

Has anyone heard any recent hoax mayday calls on any of the perth freqs? I havent heard anything since I first started this thread. Maybe they just got bored of doing it? or maybe they've been caught, I hope.