Non-directional beacons

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

WPXZBP

Non-directional beacons

Post by WPXZBP »

Perth NDB is set to close due to a) Perth Airport wanting to put in a road through that area and b) the NDB is not due to be replaced.

Clackline NDB - just north of Great Eastern Highway, Clackline.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Narembeen NDB - located just north of the Narembeen Shire Depot.

Albany NDB - located at the south end of Albany airport.
cat21

Post by cat21 »

What do the NDB's do?
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Navigation on 200-400+ kHz. They transmit a 2 or 3 letter code (eg Albany ABA, Pearce RAAF PE) for pilots to use triangulation to determine their direction. Some, like Peace, carry terminal information. (ATIS)
WPXZBP

Re: Non-directional beacons

Post by WPXZBP »

Southern Cross (SCR)

Nafenn

Re:

Post by Nafenn »

cat21 wrote:What do the NDB's do?
its a Basic Navigational Aid (usually has a range of around 75nm), which pilots can use to track to a certain area, or airport.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Using my late father's TS-430S and a longwire antenna (approx 20m long) I have heard NDBs from as far north as Hong Kong, west to Ondangwa (Namibia) and east to Hao Atoll in French Polynesia. :D
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

WPXZBP wrote:Using my late father's TS-430S and a longwire antenna (approx 20m long) I have heard NDBs from as far north as Hong Kong, west to Ondangwa (Namibia) and east to Hao Atoll in French Polynesia. :D
well la di dah :P

in an aircraft, around 75 is the limit :P

some are stronger, some arent
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

Nafenn wrote:
WPXZBP wrote:Using my late father's TS-430S and a longwire antenna (approx 20m long) I have heard NDBs from as far north as Hong Kong, west to Ondangwa (Namibia) and east to Hao Atoll in French Polynesia. :D
well la di dah :P

in an aircraft, around 75 is the limit :P

some are stronger, some arent
Most have greater OW (Over Water) range though - for obvious reasons... :D
numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

Post by numloxx »

So where is the photo of Perth's NDB?
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I have a photo of the old PH beacon (400kHz) when it was located on the south of the Swan River. I haven't got the newer one (methinks it used to be GFD on 272?) yet...
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Currently PH does not have a NBD of its own how ever North of runway 21, looks like a little bit to the north side of the Swan River is CVM NBD

and to the North east roughly 9 DME of PH VOR is PRL NBD

Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

next time i go out to YPJT ill try and take a shot of theirs (281.0)
Nathan Fenn

Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

While driving to work, i was thinking, :shock: none of the class C airports (sydney, brisbane, melbourne, adelaide, perth, darwin) Have NBD's assigned to their airport designator

How ever, in the Melbourne area there is EPP (epping) on Finals rwy 27 and BOL (bolinda) on finals 16,

Sydney has GLF (glenfeild) and COR (cordo)
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

Not true - there are some Class C aerodromes that do have their own NDB. Cairns, Adelaide Canberra, Gold Coast - the list keeps going - anyway....

With regards to the range - 75nm - where did you get that range from ... ??

Nafenn - It all depends on the alt of the aircraft and the power of the transmitter - also depends on time of day/night. Sounds like a little knowledge is dangerous - especially with a student pilots licence - as you should know - you have not truly learnt about Navaids as yet.

It is good to have a conversation about aviation navaids and aviation in general - but i think if we provide correct information to people out there - that dont have an aviation background - then they can be correctly informed.

Just a thought - i will probably get burnt here - however the correct information should be known.

OP