Can i use my scanner on a domestic flight?

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Can i use my scanner on a domestic flight?

Post by Zebedee »

orangepeel wrote:There is no rule or reg that will stop you from user a scanner on board any flight.
Unless of course the airline has it's own particular rule, just to be difficult ;)
orangepeel wrote:Firstly it will be up to security to allow it thru the screening point.
Funny you should mention that ... I had my Icom DSTAR handheld in my laptop bag when I went through the screening point at Perth Airport late last year, and they put the bag through the xray, I retrieved it from the other side, and as I was putting the laptop back in the bag, someone came dashing over coz they'd decided they wanted another look :)
orangepeel wrote:There is no law against it - but then again - i really cant see what point it is going to have - considering you are going to hear the same stuff as you woudl on the ground - or a lame way of passing a few hours on a flight - why not catch up on your sleep or read a book/listen to ipod/catch up on work etc.
That's not for us to decide of course. If that's what they find passes the time for them ... good luck!
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

Erm - as i said at the end - it depends on the airline of course ...

Trust me - there is a great variation on what you can/cannot do whilst on board the airlines - and they vary from airline to airline...

That is one of the reasons the travelling public complain - well - X airline, we were allowed to do that - but Y airline - how come we cant here ....

That causes daily confusion within the airlines - and of course - there is a even larger difference when you are travelling overseas ... but we wont cause thread drift - as this is to do with domestic travel ....
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

i think the basics of it is you can have a Receiver, but not a Tranceiver.

Oh, and to anyone who uses a mobile on a plane... the pilots know ;) - it doesnt effect the navigation equiptment, but they can hear it in their radio equiptment.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Nafenn wrote:i think the basics of it is you can have a Receiver, but not a Tranceiver.

Oh, and to anyone who uses a mobile on a plane... the pilots know ;) - it doesnt effect the navigation equiptment, but they can hear it in their radio equiptment.
How do you think the pilots communicate with us on the ground giving us ETA, before the Air to ground radio went up, let me tell you it wasn't Morse code with the landing lights :)
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

Nafenn wrote:Oh, and to anyone who uses a mobile on a plane... the pilots know ;) - it doesnt effect the navigation equiptment, but they can hear it in their radio equiptment.
Not always true

Depends on how far away the phone is to the radio gear .... i woud be none the wiser shoud someone be using a phone whilst onboard down the back of the aircraft. It would be up to the crew.

On the smaller aircraft - typically the phone is in close proximity to the radio gear - so yes - the pilot may hear the phone plusing thru the headset and radio - similar to the noise that you hear thru the car radio when in close proximity

It can affect the CDI indications on the smaller GA style aircraft.

Funny how - domestic flights - typically have to wait until off the aircraft to use the phone - but on international flights - either as soon as off the runway or the front door is open - you can use mobile phones ....
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

AO11912 wrote:me tell you it wasn't Morse code with the landing lights :)
Letter Drops?
Just arrived - "SUPRISE"
listen to the sound of the engine to determine the aircraft type?
Tin can and string - dont forget to hold it tight

:mrgreen:
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

orangepeel wrote:
Nafenn wrote:Oh, and to anyone who uses a mobile on a plane... the pilots know ;) - it doesnt effect the navigation equiptment, but they can hear it in their radio equiptment.
Not always true

Depends on how far away the phone is to the radio gear .... i woud be none the wiser shoud someone be using a phone whilst onboard down the back of the aircraft. It would be up to the crew.

On the smaller aircraft - typically the phone is in close proximity to the radio gear - so yes - the pilot may hear the phone plusing thru the headset and radio - similar to the noise that you hear thru the car radio when in close proximity

It can affect the CDI indications on the smaller GA style aircraft.

Funny how - domestic flights - typically have to wait until off the aircraft to use the phone - but on international flights - either as soon as off the runway or the front door is open - you can use mobile phones ....
Mobile phones are not allowed to be used at the international terminal in till you have cleared customs, massive fines imposed by customs.

How ever i was waiting for a friend on Domestic, who phoned me as soon as the plane landed to tell me they were late, how ever i was in the terminal waiting, but he said to me the captain said they could call, while taxing
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

International - Many times been on board, walking down the aerobridge or shopping in duty free and been on the phone - all well prior to clearing customs. - even before immigration....
:?: mmm - maybe rules (for some reason) are different in PH - however as recently as 2wk ago - this is the norm on the East Coast

Domestic - typically it is at the discretion of the Capt if phones can be used on board - many times they are allowed on with the approval of the capt to make calls - typically when delayed etc.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

One thing I'm curious about - while thinking about phones - is that the pulsing noise you hear through a headset or speakers is when there's a GSM phone in the vicinity. But as far as I can tell (from having phones near various speakers), those using a 3G service don't seem to cause the same hassles.

I would assume (and that's always a dangerous thing to do I know!) that it's the same on a plane. But who knows. Should test it one day (with the pilot's permission of course :P )
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

AO11912 wrote:Mobile phones are not allowed to be used at the international terminal in till you have cleared customs, massive fines imposed by customs.
Thats cause the Customs Act 1901 restricts the use of filiming or recording devices in a Customs controlled area. With mobile phones these days you could be recoring sound or vision.

CC 8)
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

If you want to be completely safe, why not use something like this?

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtf ... seyair.pdf

Keep it in your "bum bag" and you could be listening to an iPOD for all the Hosties know... No tuning required so turn on and forget!

CC 8)
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

there is a law somewhere stating that mobile phones cannot be used on any aircraft... Will look through CARs CAOs CAAPs and the AIP when i have a spare 20 minutes or 4 hour considering the complexity of them all :p
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Zebedee wrote:
One thing I'm curious about - while thinking about phones - is that the pulsing noise you hear through a headset or speakers is when there's a GSM phone in the vicinity. But as far as I can tell (from having phones near various speakers), those using a 3G service don't seem to cause the same hassles.

I would assume (and that's always a dangerous thing to do I know!) that it's the same on a plane. But who knows. Should test it one day (with the pilot's permission of course :P )
CDMA didnt affect anything either.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
VK6ZUK

Post by VK6ZUK »

i have in my laptop bag a Tait Commercial UHF handheld and a Yaesu VX3 Handheld and have never been quizzed in 3 years of flying.

i guess its the same as your mobile, you can take it on board but not use it to transmit. there is no law saying you cant take in on board!
Regards

Danny - VK6ZUK (previously VK6FZUK)

Need comms or HAM gear? Give me a call!
Instra Industries Pty Ltd
Ph: 0414 553 244
numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

Post by numloxx »

Hi all,

I've taken my scanner on board commercial flights for years, but only listen to it sometimes, because on board the a/c you will mostly only pick up the aircraft's transmissions.

Although once, we were 100nm from Perth, and I could clearly pick up some Metro broadcasts, such as the Qantas Perth transmissions.

Keep it discreet, and wear earphones, and if asked by the crew, follow their requests. That's all I can say really.