Can i use my scanner on a domestic flight?

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

sam.lk7

Can i use my scanner on a domestic flight?

Post by sam.lk7 »

I am interested in taking my scanner on-board a domestic flight with Qantas soon and am keen to know first of all if i could get it through security and secondly would the airline allow me to "listen in" with headphones on. cheers
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Would it actually work on an aeroplane... I take it your planning on listening to the pilot.
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
gkoutlis

Re: Can i use my scanner on a domestic flight?

Post by gkoutlis »

sam.lk7 wrote:I am interested in taking my scanner on-board a domestic flight with Qantas soon and am keen to know first of all if i could get it through security and secondly would the airline allow me to "listen in" with headphones on. cheers
I'm afraid that's not possible. - New Aviation Security guidelines actually prohibit anyone to take a "listening device" onboard any aircraft. Reasons behind it should be logical... I'll track down the guidelines on why you cant have these listening devices and will place the link here.

But security wouldn't let you get through without intensive interogation. Safest bet mate, is to put the scanner in the suitcase, and use it when you get to your destination.

Cheers
George
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

interesting... I regularly take my Icom scanner on board when I travel domestically and have never been quizzed... As recent as 2 weeks ago..
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

celestial_insight wrote:interesting... I regularly take my Icom scanner on board when I travel domestically and have never been quizzed... As recent as 2 weeks ago..
hmm - interesting - will look into it for you.
sam.lk7

Post by sam.lk7 »

celestial_insight wrote:interesting... I regularly take my Icom scanner on board when I travel domestically and have never been quizzed... As recent as 2 weeks ago..
SWEET! Hopefully i will be able to bring it onboard. Did you carry it in your pocket or in a bag?
truckie

Post by truckie »

I put it through the x-ray machine quite openly and carried it in my hand. Nothing hidden or clandestine. Mythbusters even did the experiment with a mobile phone (and various other transmitters) in a cockpit and it didn't seem to affect anything, so an RX only unit will hardly bother any instruments, especially if, like me, you sit way back in cattle class with the rest of the plebs..
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Qantas have this page which doesn't directly mention scanners, but does mention personal electronic devices in general.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Gotcha - It states it clearly from that Link
Electronic Equipment
All electronic devices, including PDAs, laptop computers, handheld games and toys must be switched off during take-off and landing.

Portable electronic equipment such as laptop computers (including WiFi and Bluetooth enabled devices), PDAs (without mobile phones), personal music (for example, iPods) and electronic game devices may be used when the aircraft seat belt sign is extinguished after take-off and until the top of descent.

Radio transmission using personal communication devices (including walkie-talkies, two-way pagers, or global positioning systems) is prohibited at all stages of flight, as it may interfere with the aircraft's communication and navigation systems.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

gkoutlis wrote: Radio transmission using personal communication devices (including walkie-talkies, two-way pagers, or global positioning systems) is prohibited at all stages of flight

Although they have obvious concerns about transmitters on board during flight - GPS units never transmit. Neither do scanners...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Id just make sure you have a friend that can take it back for you. Cause if your not allowed to take it on board if you dont have a place to put it (as in back in your car) or a friend to take it back then security takes it... and they dont give things back
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

vk6hgr wrote:Although they have obvious concerns about transmitters on board during flight - GPS units never transmit. Neither do scanners...
That bit had me scratching my head as well :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Actually BOTH transmit via local oscillators. Any thing with a heterodyne type receiver does. This is why it is illegal to operate. Part of the EMC/EMI regulations is to reduce the amount of stray RF emitted from electronic devices of all types. Any thing with an oscillator is capable of emmissions. These include the clocking oscillators in computers, mobile phones and scanners which produce multiple spurious signals from the local oscillator and mixers in the I.F. strip. This does not mean avionics will be affected only that it could be.
I personally would not be prepared to break this law as I feel my and the other passengers life is worth more than listening to a scanner.
ps I know computers are now allowed after take off on some flights.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Nick wrote:Actually BOTH transmit via local oscillators. Any thing with a heterodyne type receiver does.
Ahhh. Makes sense.

The RF output from the LO is tiny though but I suppose they don't want to take the risk.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

I have over 6000 flight hours
I have NEVER come across any evidence that suggests that radios effect the aircraft navigation on commercial (jet) aircraft.
The FAA are know reaserching ways with Boeing and Airbus to allow Mobile Phones to be used while in flight. Most probably, if Mobiles are allowed so will scanners
Last edited by spartacus on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.