jurisdiction

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

jurisdiction

Post by hold3n »

what federal boundary are the airports in?
state/federal and who is responsible for policing
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Re: jurisdiction

Post by Infernal »

Airports are Federal land

The federal police patrol the airport

WAPOL will take command over from AFP if something big happens
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Just to be arrogantly technical, The airport is Crown Land :)

If you go out to the Airport hold3n, its just AFP. And like kirk said, if something big happens (excl federal matters), WAPOL will take over
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Nafenn wrote:Just to be arrogantly technical, The airport is Crown Land :)
And to be technically technical, about 36% of the area of WA is also crown land ;)

(You can have crown land that's vested in either the state or the commonwealth. State crown land includes things such as conservation reserves, pastoral leases and other such things.) :P

According to the AFP themselves, they say they are the "primary law-enforcement agency at the 11 major Australian airports". Under a new policing model being introduced progressively from 2009, the AFP have "Airport Police Commanders", who are "responsible for the coordinated command and control of aviation security and policing activities at the 11 airports in partnership with federal and State government agencies and private sector organisations as required."

The review of policing in Australia in 2009 contained the following in the report, which makes for some interesting reading...
Aviation security, and in particular the policing of Australia’s principal airports, has been a subject of Commonwealth/State controversy since 1970. Following the application of state criminal laws (as Commonwealth law) to airports in that year, the Commonwealth has made a number of attempts to extricate itself from the policing of airports, recognising a strong link between criminal threats to airports, the local criminal milieu and state police capabilities, while simultaneously acknowledging its responsibilities under international law for aviation security. It has never succeeded in passing responsibility completely and clearly to the states.

Over the years this has led to what is described as a hybrid model, with the Commonwealth providing the funding and Protective Service Officers while State police forces provide the bulk of the sworn police members. Even with generous Commonwealth support not all States have been either willing or able to provide the pledged level of staffing. Successive reviews have been critical of the complexity of these hybrid arrangements recommending either an ‘All Out’ approach in which the States/Territories accept responsibility for airport policing, or an ‘All In’ approach in which the Commonwealth provides an integrated airport policing capability.
and
The Audit has reluctantly concluded, acknowledging it is a view not shared by a number of chief police officers, that the ‘All In’ model is likely to be more sustainable in the long run. In reaching this conclusion the Audit had particular regard to Commonwealth international obligations, its broader responsibilities concerning the regulation of aviation and airports more generally, its legal capacity in relation to all Australia’s principal airports to put any issues of AFP powers beyond doubt, and the public expectation of consistently high standards and approaches to aviation security across the nation. The ‘All In’ model also represents significant cost savings to the Commonwealth. Accordingly it has recommended the Commonwealth should vigorously pursue the replacement of the existing Unified Policing Model with an ‘All In’ model under which the Commonwealth accepts the responsibility of funding and staffing nationally coordinated airport security and policing services, noting that this will likely take several years before being fully operational. It should take any legislative action, or pursue the renegotiation of arrangements in a number of states and territories, to ensure that the powers of AFP members policing airports are clear and adequate to the task.
Based on what's in the report, and the AFP website above, I'd say that by 2014, the AFP will have sole responsibility for managing policing within Perth Airport. There may be cases where the WA Police are also involved, but I think the AFP will be the "lead agency" and have ultimate responsibility.

The only part I don't know, from the report and the AFP site, is how far along this process they already are.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Zebedee wrote: And to be technically technical, about 36% of the area of WA is also crown land ;)

(You can have crown land that's vested in either the state or the commonwealth. State crown land includes things such as conservation reserves, pastoral leases and other such things.)
eg Beaches (and the dunes) which can be policed by various authorities at various times
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Nathan127
Amateur callsign: Rookie
Scanners and Receivers: Nil Looking into getting them

Post by Nathan127 »

We All Get Tied Up The Technicals Dont We :lol:
Nathan
To keep work happy: Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views of my employer or any of their clients.

dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

AFP are now resonpsible for community policing at Perth Airport and within the Airport Precinct.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

dazla wrote:AFP are now resonpsible for community policing at Perth Airport and within the Airport Precinct.
they always have been...