Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

Nafenn

Pilot goes flying

Post by Nafenn »

No, Seriously.
Pilot sent tumbling by Qantas jumbo's engine thrust
Matt O'Sullivan
October 20, 2011 - 3:44PM

A VIRGIN AUSTRALIA pilot has been badly injured after he was blown from stairs at the rear of a passenger jet by the engine thrust from a Qantas 747 jumbo, which was taxiing close to his plane.

Safety experts are looking into how the Qantas jumbo came close enough to the Boeing 737, which is operated by Virgin subsidiary Pacific Blue, to blow over the stairs on which the first officer was standing.

The pilot had been conducting pre-flight checks on the 737 passenger jet, which was parked at Brisbane Airport's international terminal, shortly before it was due to take off to Bali on Friday.

The first officer suffered a fractured arm and leg when the aluminium stairs were blown over by the force of the Qantas jumbo's engine blast. The 747 had been taxiing to a runway and was awaiting clearance from air traffic controllers to take off when the incident occurred.

The Qantas jumbo – QF8 – had stopped over in Brisbane to offload passengers while on its way to its final destination of Sydney.

A Virgin spokeswoman said the aluminium stairs to the 737 were blown over several times by the blast of the Qantas engines and the pilot's injuries could have been worse.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel- ... z1bLGv9Jil
Just saying, those stairs aren't light - would take one hell of a blast to blow them over, however it isn't exactly the greatest design if another Jets exhaust is pointing directly at an other bay at a close range.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Nathan127
Amateur callsign: Rookie
Scanners and Receivers: Nil Looking into getting them

Re: Pilot goes flying

Post by Nathan127 »

By Aerodrom Rules & Regs It Needs A Minimum 30m Between The Bay And Taxiway Where Jet Blast May Occur
Nathan
To keep work happy: Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views of my employer or any of their clients.

dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Would some of the old (ex Ansett?) stairs be light enough? I've seen them pushed around by just one person before.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

dlcat1 wrote:Would some of the old (ex Ansett?) stairs be light enough? I've seen them pushed around by just one person before.
It depends on 'what' type of aircraft the stairs are used for. Those for the smaller aircraft such as the BAe 146 are easily pushed by one person.
I've closed the door!
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

These were for B737s. I know Tigers ground staff where using them in Melbourne and saw one being used on a VA jet at Brissy. Guessing they'd be no more than a couple of hundred kilos.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

The simple aluminium frame - yes would be the answer
I've closed the door!