Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Aviation Incidents and Accidents

Post by Zebedee »

OK this really isn't an "incident or accident" but I didn't think it deserved a thread all of it's own ;)

The West Australian reports today that an old analogue style EPIRB was activated in Balga last night about 10:30pm and tracked to a rubbish bin after the signal was picked up by an aircraft flying overhead.

Ref: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa ... balga-bin/
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

Zebedee wrote:OK this really isn't an "incident or accident" but I didn't think it deserved a thread all of it's own ;)

The West Australian reports today that an old analogue style EPIRB was activated in Balga last night about 10:30pm and tracked to a rubbish bin after the signal was picked up by an aircraft flying overhead.

Ref: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa ... balga-bin/
Unfortunately, this is going to become increasingly common as people dispose of the old epirbs irresponsibly.
Although these are no longer actively monitored by AMSA, their signals can still be picked up by traffic in the vicinity.

It's somewhat analagous to the way some people give their old mobile phones to their kids to play with, not realising that they can still dial 000 without a sim card.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

SJA, FRS and WAPol assembling at Jandakot A/P.
FESA ComCen advised Canning Vale 2.4 of incoming aircraft "abnormal landing". Due in at about 1710.
Mr G is observing.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Nathan is flying again?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

VH-FTZ complete hydraulics failure. No gear locked down. Will post pics soon. Perfect txt book landing. More to follow. G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

AO11912 wrote:Nathan is flying again?
gee... thanks kirk ;)
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
yorky

Post by yorky »

Was just shown on Channel 7, landed with nose gear down however the nose gear collapsed shortly after touchdown, nice solid straight line landing by the looks.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

yorky wrote:Was just shown on Channel 7, landed with nose gear down however the nose gear collapsed shortly after touchdown, nice solid straight line landing by the looks.
Negative! I saw the entire thing. He radioed Jandakot tower that he will raise nose gear 4 a Flat Landing. Its still here on 24R if u need proof. G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Fair enough, was a very quick showing on the news to the laymen it just looked like it collapsed.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

I've just rewinded back to the story on my PVR and the footage DOES show the front gear down (and collapsing) on landing.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Fastlane wrote:I've just rewinded back to the story on my PVR and the footage DOES show the front gear down (and collapsing) on landing.
The only gear down you may have seen was when it did a fly-by the tower to confirm - the situation of his Landing Gear!

I have pictures of the aircraft with no wheels down when he advised the tower his intentions were to do a "flat landing" with "gear up" - upon mid down wind - pilot reported no flaps either.

Pictures I will post first thing tomorrow, which will show no gear visible before impact with runway.
G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Fastlane wrote:I've just rewinded back to the story on my PVR and the footage DOES show the front gear down (and collapsing) on landing.
can you take a screen of the aircraft on landing and upload it, i'm interested to have a look

Also: why does everything always happen when i'm away from jandakot???
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

gk. wouldnt have said it if I wasnt sure. did you see the news footage?

some shots taken using a camera (not going through the effort of transferring the footage). you can see the gear in all 3 grabs.

yorky

Post by yorky »

Full Channel 7 footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJDmJg01H5w (note full HQ quality not yet processed).

Gear seems to be partially down, then mostly collapsed, then either the pilot retracted (closing the doors) or the weight pushed it in as the nose/prop come down. Obviously I can only speculate which.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Fastlane wrote:gk. wouldnt have said it if I wasnt sure. did you see the news footage?

some shots taken using a camera (not going through the effort of transferring the footage). you can see the gear in all 3 grabs.

Only the nosewheel gear is partially extended - the two main wheels are fully retracted. If the main gear was there - the wings would not have been just off the ground.

The Lancair has a tricycle wheel setup

here is one with all wheels extended:

Nathan Fenn