Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

Re: VB's New Embraer Jets

Post by numloxx »

written_ficton wrote:
spartacus wrote:
written_ficton wrote: Are you sure? The aircraft they use wouldnt have weight restiction imposed....
numloxx wrote:They would be MZFW, MRPW and MTOW restricted.
It's sarcasm, one of the lowest forms of humor
Wasnt meant, what I mean or should have said is that SAA wouldnt have any issues loading up with full pax / cargo for the JNB - PER route.

It would be well within the MTOW
Well true, but... they need to carry a minimum amount of fuel, and if the bags/cargo comes in heavy, they have to take less fuel. Thats what I was getting at.
Eg. (Just pulling figures out of my head, they might not be right) If their ZFW is 250.0 and they need a minimum 150t fuel, and their max BRW or MTOW is 380t, then they can't take 150t of fuel.

Hope this is easier to understand.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

numloxx wrote:Well true, but... they need to carry a minimum amount of fuel, and if the bags/cargo comes in heavy, they have to take less fuel. Thats what I was getting at.
Eg. (Just pulling figures out of my head, they might not be right) If their ZFW is 250.0 and they need a minimum 150t fuel, and their max BRW or MTOW is 380t, then they can't take 150t of fuel.

But there would have to be a limit as to how much fuel they HAVE to take. Im not sure what the figures are for the big jets, but in the cessnas, we are legally required to plan to land with 45minutes (and 15% if its a charter Flight) of fuel. We had cannot burn it, unless we are put in a hold or something like that.
so there would have to be a point where you have to say 'no more baggage, we need this fuel', yes?
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Nafenn wrote:[
Well you always have to have x % amount of fuel for diversions etc etc, but you can fully laden a 747-400 with pax / bags / cargo and operate it over to the east coast with no restrictions
I've closed the door!
numloxx

Post by numloxx »

Try flying it to Johannesburg though :)
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

numloxx wrote:Try flying it to Johannesburg though :)
The A340's make it their quite fine
I've closed the door!
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

written_ficton wrote:
numloxx wrote:Try flying it to Johannesburg though :)
The A340's make it their quite fine
Jo Burg is closer than Dubai
timS

Post by timS »

the E-jets can carry bugger all cargo and bags, and aren't good for large chunky pieces or cargo. The E170's can not carry one average sized bag for every passenger if every seat is full. VB has now introduced special purple excess baggage tags that go on large items (eg surfboards) and heavy bags (23kg +) these items are left until last and quite often don't make it on.

I can say a lot more about them but not on a public forum!
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Nafenn wrote:
numloxx wrote:Well true, but... they need to carry a minimum amount of fuel, and if the bags/cargo comes in heavy, they have to take less fuel. Thats what I was getting at.

But there would have to be a limit as to how much fuel they HAVE to take. Im not sure what the figures are for the big jets, but in the cessnas, we are legally required to plan to land with 45minutes (and 15% if its a charter Flight) of fuel. We had cannot burn it, unless we are put in a hold or something like that.
so there would have to be a point where you have to say 'no more baggage, we need this fuel', yes?

We have off loaded 84 bags one day with out passengers knowing, just so the jet could get to CGK

Our SIN flights are taking on 17 ton of fuel most nights, in a A320, bags, and passenges are being off loaded to make the distance
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

timS wrote:the E-jets can carry bugger all cargo and bags, and aren't good for large chunky pieces or cargo. The E170's can not carry one average sized bag for every passenger if every seat is full. VB has now introduced special purple excess baggage tags that go on large items (eg surfboards) and heavy bags (23kg +) these items are left until last and quite often don't make it on.

I can say a lot more about them but not on a public forum!
Oh now come one....... seriously???? No way dude...
I've closed the door!
numloxx

Post by numloxx »

Everybody in aviation knows about everybody else and their limits, so feel free to share.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

numloxx wrote:Everybody in aviation knows about everybody else and their limits, so feel free to share.
Let's call his bluff
I've closed the door!
timS

Post by timS »

I wasn't trying to hide the weights, anyone can jump on google and get them within a few minutes. i was referring to some of the opinions of the plane from some vb staff. not the type of stuff one should post anywhere.

the main problem with the E-jets isn't there actual payload capacity, its the fact that unless you are lugging around dark matter you will never reach the actual payload due to the fact that the lockers weren't designed to well. they are small, short, hard to stack, etc. anything long etc surfboards, kayaks, wont fit due to webbing thats everywhere. The rear hold isn't heated or insulated in any way, and on long flights will get down to -10 degrees, which is not good for a lot of the freight that goes to cocos islands, mainly being food. VB also wont use seatpacks like national jet use, to carry anything. therefore a Ejet to cocos will pretty much be a pax and bags only flight, no room for any cargo
numloxx

Post by numloxx »

Yeah well everybody knows that about the Jungle Jets.
They're a pain in the ass to load.
Too small.

Thats why NJS didn't get them a few years ago when they had the Embraer Demonstrator here.
I even loaded the SkyAirWorld Em170 when we were using it for various flights, pain in the ass.
If you got bare knees you cut them up on the non-slip floor.

And the centre of the fuselage is so close to the bottom of the cargo hold doors, makes for an unsafe working situation.

Not my fav aircraft to load. Would prefer loading a Baron nose lol.
timS

Post by timS »

VB's don't have any non-slip floor, instead they have the world's slipperiest plastic on them, which is a pain. Skyairworlds E170 was originally leased to Solomon Airlines, but the lease was terminated a few months later because the E170 couldn't carry enough stuff. That end every second day a Ejet goes U/S...
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

timS wrote:VB's don't have any non-slip floor, instead they have the world's slipperiest plastic on them, which is a pain. Skyairworlds E170 was originally leased to Solomon Airlines, but the lease was terminated a few months later because the E170 couldn't carry enough stuff. That end every second day a Ejet goes U/S...
It wasnt because the E-Jet couldn't 'carry enough stuff' Skyairworld revoked the lease when Solomon's stopped paying...

Its well documented the E-170's are crap, give me a nice Q400 or ATR72-500 anyday
I've closed the door!