WA Aviation Incidents and Accidents

Aircraft, traffic control, air services

Moderators: Infernal, Nafenn, numloxx

richard omeara

Re: Aviation Incidents and Accidents

Post by richard omeara »

Heard a 747-400 diverted to perth with one engine turned off.Radio said it was an internal fuel leak.Air svces au said plane landed safley all OK.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Perth Airport was evacuated this morning due to a "suspicious package".

Caused approx 15mins delay according to the news.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Just got an SMS from my instructor:

apparently a Mooney (VH-SOM) has done a wheels up landing at Jandakot Airport. they have skidded off the runway. details sketchy, but its a shame im 900 miles from there, didn't see it :(
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Just saw a Qantas (i think a 767) - looking shakey on landing and being observed by Channel 7 chopper 12:58.

Was driving East on Orrong Rd - and saw it low level with Ch7 tailing a good distance from it. Anyone know what's happening?

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

gkoutlis wrote:Just saw a Qantas (i think a 767) - looking shakey on landing and being observed by Channel 7 chopper 12:58.

Was driving East on Orrong Rd - and saw it low level with Ch7 tailing a good distance from it. Anyone know what's happening?

G
Strong Crosswinds is all i know about
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
cat21

Post by cat21 »

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Second excitement for Perth Airport for the day ... An electrical fault caused the fire alarms to go off in Terminals 2 and 3 which were subsequently evacuated.

Nafenn and I were near the airport this evening and thanks to the heads-up from Numloxx, got to listen to the chaos on the trunking system. They were trying to get people back into the buildings in an orderly manner after the fire brigade had given the all clear ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

Now is it just me, or, did that reporter give the impression that the 'co-pilot' on a Qantas 737 is not a 'real' pilot, and can't fly a plane???? :evil: :evil: :evil:

My $0.02
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

spartacus wrote:Now is it just me, or, did that reporter give the impression that the 'co-pilot' on a Qantas 737 is not a 'real' pilot, and can't fly a plane???? :evil: :evil: :evil:

My $0.02
I didn't get that impression from the quoted article, but I've certainly gotten that impression from previous reports on previous incidents.

There seems to be this perception that a co-pilot or first officer, whichever term you prefer to use, is a "pilot's assistant" rather than a fully qualified pilot in his or her own right. Yes ultimately the captain is responsible for the aircraft, but the co-pilot is just as capable and just as competent as the guy in the left hand seat...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Zebedee wrote:I didn't get that impression from the quoted article, but I've certainly gotten that impression from previous reports on previous incidents.

There seems to be this perception that a co-pilot or first officer, whichever term you prefer to use, is a "pilot's assistant" rather than a fully qualified pilot in his or her own right. Yes ultimately the captain is responsible for the aircraft, but the co-pilot is just as capable and just as competent as the guy in the left hand seat...
Bingo... Both the Co-Pilot and the Captain have the EXACT same training as far as flying that specific aircraft goes... granted the captain might have more experience overall, but the Co-Pilot can still well and truley fly!
Nathan Fenn

spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

A man was killed when his crop duster crashed in a paddock on Broomehill Road [Kojonup] about 8:00am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 745395.htm

Will update when I get more info
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

Post by numloxx »

Hi all,

Just at work, looking at Flight Explorer, when I noticed a DJ 737 flying YPPH-YPPH.
DJ696 Destined to YMML is coming back to YPPH.ETA 1940.

Not sure why it's coming back, maybe medical, or tech issues? Rego is VH-VBO.

Cheers,

Carsten
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Nafenn wrote:
Zebedee wrote:I didn't get that impression from the quoted article, but I've certainly gotten that impression from previous reports on previous incidents.

Bingo... Both the Co-Pilot and the Captain have the EXACT same training as far as flying that specific aircraft goes... granted the captain might have more experience overall, but the Co-Pilot can still well and truley fly!
A Captian has Command of the plane, they have the same flying skills, but over all the Captian for that flight is the person in charge of the aircraft for that segment, it is not uncommon to see 2 Qualified Captians flying the same ship.

Basiclly they do extra stuff like, responsable persons training, to take command if things go wrong.

After all it was the FO that landed that DC when the window flew out, because the captian was on the roof.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

AO11912 wrote:
Nafenn wrote:Bingo... Both the Co-Pilot and the Captain have the EXACT same training as far as flying that specific aircraft goes... granted the captain might have more experience overall, but the Co-Pilot can still well and truley fly!
A Captian has Command of the plane, they have the same flying skills, but over all the Captian for that flight is the person in charge of the aircraft for that segment, it is not uncommon to see 2 Qualified Captians flying the same ship.

Basiclly they do extra stuff like, responsable persons training, to take command if things go wrong.

After all it was the FO that landed that DC when the window flew out, because the captian was on the roof.
The FO and Captain usually take turns flying legs, taking off and landing aircraft over routes aswell.

And its fairly commoun practice from what i have heard to have two captains on board - but one will act as pilot in command, the other as the co-pilot
Nathan Fenn

Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Nafenn wrote:
AO11912 wrote:
Nafenn wrote:Bingo... Both the Co-Pilot and the Captain have the EXACT same training as far as flying that specific aircraft goes... granted the captain might have more experience overall, but the Co-Pilot can still well and truley fly!

The FO and Captain usually take turns flying legs, taking off and landing aircraft over routes aswell.

And its fairly commoun practice from what i have heard to have two captains on board - but one will act as pilot in command, the other as the co-pilot
Further investigation, the older 737-800's that Qantas have, do not have a steering tiller on the right hand side, and this would be why the Aircraft was towed, not under its own steam.