OT: WARSUG Web site

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

madmikey

OT: WARSUG Web site

Post by madmikey »

Hi all, I know this is not related to wapol or anyhting, but I am getting pissed off with the add bar at the top of the pages in these forums and the popups for those stupid smilies on the main pages etc.

I am proposing through the owner of the site that we chip in $10 or something each to buy a domain name and hosting for WARSUG.

I don't know who the owner / administrator of WARSUG is, but I hope this will market the group a bit better.

My costing that I have found is:
warsug.com /warsug.net $15.95 / year
Web hosting (200mb disk space, 20gb data tranfers, 5 emails) $5.95 / month
total for year: 87.35

This could be quite easily done between users of this group...

anyone else have any thoughts on this??? Or willing to chip in???
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: OT: WARSUG Web site

Post by Fastlane »

madmikey wrote:Hi all, I know this is not related to wapol or anyhting, but I am getting pissed off with the add bar at the top of the pages in these forums and the popups for those stupid smilies on the main pages etc.

I am proposing through the owner of the site that we chip in $10 or something each to buy a domain name and hosting for WARSUG.

I don't know who the owner / administrator of WARSUG is, but I hope this will market the group a bit better.

This could be quite easily done between users of this group...

anyone else have any thoughts on this??? Or willing to chip in???
Why don't you just access the site directly via its real address?

http://vk6hgr.echidna.id.au/phpbb/

no popups or ads...
scanvictoria

Post by scanvictoria »

madmikey wrote:I am getting pissed off with the add bar at the top of the pages in these forums and the popups for those stupid smilies on the main pages etc.
I do not get the pop up's or the smilies your reffering to.
madmikey wrote:I am proposing through the owner of the site that we chip in $10 or something each to buy a domain name and hosting for WARSUG
Sounds great, what if people dont want to ??
madmikey wrote:My costing that I have found is:
Question i have, is that $15.95 a year for the pair of domain names?
If it is then where did you get the pricing? I havent seen that sort of pricing for a pair of domains anywhere, except godaddy.
Or is it for 1 domain?
I know of a even cheaper place to get hosting.
I would also be presuming the owner of this group already knows what webhosting and domains because he/she has a .id.au domain, so they must have the knowledge on what to look for.

madmikey wrote:anyone else have any thoughts on this??? Or willing to chip in???
I would be happy to chip in :wink:
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

I have never had any popup's maybe its just ur comp
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Yep no ads, popups and "crap" at my place :D

maybe your settings through internet sercurity or IE need to be checked?

marto
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Madmikey, sounds like you have adware or some spyware program on your computer if this is happening to you cos it doesn't happen to me or anyone else by the sounds of it on here.

Maybe you should try running a clean-up program like Ad-aware or Spybot and see if it finds anything dodgy on your pc. They're both free to download.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

madmikey wrote:Hi all, I know this is not related to wapol or anyhting, but I am getting pissed off with the add bar at the top of the pages in these forums and the popups for those stupid smilies on the main pages etc.
Hi Madmikey.

I can confirm that the WARSUG website has NO advertising. It did have text-based google ads for a few weeks as a trial but not any more. As others have suggested it might be some spyware etc on your PC causing it.

Owner/Administrator is me 8)

Where can you get a 20gb data transfer account for $5.95/month? The best quote I got to host the website (150Mb of MySQL space with 3Gb of transfers a month) is around $90/month.

If people would be willing to chip in a bit to help pay for the domain name, like warsug.org or similar I'll go and get it.

If it's something worthwhile doing we'll do a bit of a fundraise drive :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

How can I SEND YOU THE MONEY!!! :lol:

Seriously though with over 250 members we should be all able to donate or give money to help administer this site

How much $$$ is required???
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

vk6hgr wrote:Where can you get a 20gb data transfer account for $5.95/month? The best quote I got to host the website (150Mb of MySQL space with 3Gb of transfers a month) is around $90/month.
I would guess that's US hosting.

I'm happy to chip in some money, though I'd prefer a local host than a US one. Either way though :)
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

westernwedgey wrote:How can I SEND YOU THE MONEY!!! :lol:

Seriously though with over 250 members we should be all able to donate or give money to help administer this site

How much $$$ is required???

I'll always make WARSUG free for anybody to join and enjoy but if you think it's worth $10 or so a year then I'd appreciate a donation.

There's a Paypal link on the front page. You can send money through paypal from either a credit card or an ordinary bank account. If you don't trust paypal PM me and I'll give you my bank details.

Ideally, I would like to get a good and short domain name, since although I'm happy with my id.au name for myself, it does make it hard to remember for the warsug site :-)

Been a while since I've bought one, I'll get prices tomorrow but I reckon around $50/year for a .au domain name...? That's not many people @ $10/each :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Im in - will send you $10 now if you like?
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

HI all, I do not have any adware or spyware on any of my systems, and I know quite a bit about computers since I have worked in the industry for about 10 years.

I suspect that most will not get the popups or add bars because of they way they access the forums...

I have posted on my web page (http://mikeyonline.net/warsug/) to show the popup and adds I get.

The domain names are 15.95 each, I included 2 (.com & .net) just as ideas. Hosting is on AU based servers through webcity.com.au and the servers are reliable as I have had my site with the for quite some time now and never had any problems as yet...

vk6 if you have paypal, let me know and i'll get the first $10 to ya and hope that a few more jump on board.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

I bet running IE has got something to do with this - go Firefox! :lol:
hitman

Post by hitman »

1. http://bur.st will host this site, with SQL and PHP for a donation - I would recommend $5 as a start. I know the administrator's well as I am sure 1 or 2 of you also do.

2. I will happily donate the domain name agreed upon by Gavin (eg: warsug.org)

3. Those of you that know me know the other sites I run. If you require the assistance Gavin, an hour one afternoon is all it will take to migrate everything over.

4. Let's make this good site even better.

If you are keen PM me.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

madmikey wrote:vk6 if you have paypal, let me know and i'll get the first $10 to ya and hope that a few more jump on board.
Too late :lol: