Hello from News @ Night

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Hello from News @ Night

Post by Turbo »

I have been a member for a while but its been ages since I have been on here (to be honest I forgot about this site! :oops: )

Thought I would introduce myself.

I work for News @ Night. There are 3 of us, Andre (boss), Simon and myself (Reece). Our job is to collect news vision for all the TV stations from 6:30pm to 6:30am every day of the year. So basically we listen to the scanner for about 12 hours a day.

Would love to share stories and maybe fill you in on some details/end results that I know of as well as get to know yall.

If you see us around please feel free to come and have a chat (we should be the only ones with a news camera at night!)

There are times we miss things (could be on another job/phone etc) so if you hear something news worthy (fatal accident etc) would be happy to hear from you!

Our number is 0410 426 373 - call or sms anytime.

This site has changed heaps and I plan on spending a lot more time on here in the future to share some info.

Cheers,

Reece
gkoutlis

Re: Hello from News @ Night

Post by gkoutlis »

Turbo wrote:I have been a member for a while but its been ages since I have been on here (to be honest I forgot about this site! :oops: )

I work for News @ Night. There are 3 of us, Andre (boss), Simon and myself (Reece). Our job is to collect news vision for all the TV stations from 6:30pm to 6:30am every day of the year. So basically we listen to the scanner for about 12 hours a day.

Would love to share stories and maybe fill you in on some details/end results that I know of as well as get to know yall.

If you see us around please feel free to come and have a chat (we should be the only ones with a news camera at night!)

There are times we miss things (could be on another job/phone etc) so if you hear something news worthy (fatal accident etc) would be happy to hear from you!

This site has changed heaps and I plan on spending a lot more time on here in the future to share some info.

Cheers,

Reece
Sounds good Turbo - Belated Welcome on Board :lol:
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Welcome Turbo - I used to be on the day crew at the ABC (seems like a lifetime ago).

The only ones I listen to are bushfires (cos I'm a vollie and live in a fire-prone area). How big a fire would it need to be for you guys to be interested?

Cheers
Meg
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Joss wrote:What are examples of stuff you are after, and what areas are available to you? Do you guys have access to 2ways or UHF CBs or anything?
We cover from Mandurah to Quins Rocks but will go further if appropriate (2x fatal, Jack Van Tongeran arrest etc)

"News worthy" stuff is, as bad as it sounds, loss of life, loss of property (house etc), weird, kwerky or famous!

We have CB's but do not use them - mobile works best in our situation.
meg wrote:How big a fire would it need to be for you guys to be interested?
Loss of life or house under threat etc. We stay away from scrub/bush fires unless there is danger of it reaching a house.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Welcome Turbo... ;)
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Welcome Turbo,

I thought each channel had their own reporters that went out and did what you describe you do.

Do you drive a marked vehicle so we know you are there.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

dazla wrote:Welcome Turbo,

I thought each channel had their own reporters that went out and did what you describe you do.

Do you drive a marked vehicle so we know you are there.
During the day they have about 7 camera crews per station, each with their own reporters - but at night, to cut costs, we film and they all share the same footage. We dont have a journalist/reporter and we are not in competition with any one to get the shots therefore we are far more casual and dont get in the way of the Police and in turn they are nice to us!

Our vehicle is unmarked for the time being but I believe it will have stickers on it within a few weeks. But they may be covered by magnets. We covered the last cars stickers as a lot of the time you dont want to be know as media (riots etc)

The car is a silver Mitsubishi Delica - stands out in a crowd - you shouldn't miss it! :D Its a 4WD van thingy
Pty

Post by Pty »

Do have concerns about digital encryption. If all emergency services eventually start using it it'll make your life a whole lot harder.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

We are a little concerened - we have been told media will be given equipment which we can access filtered information, but we have heard it can have delays of about an hour or so which will make it hard to get the shots.

Andre has built up lots of very useful contacts over the years so that should help as well.
Kinetic
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kinetic »

Don't suppose you have need of a part time worker (Uni Student)??
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Kinetic wrote:Don't suppose you have need of a part time worker (Uni Student)??
No sorry, not at the moment. Will keep you in mind for the future though...
godinoz

Post by godinoz »

Turbo wrote:I have been a member for a while but its been ages since I have been on here (to be honest I forgot about this site! :oops: )

Cheers,

Reece

Now Turbo, I hate to rock your boat, but there are a lot of independant stringers (freelance) out there, so you aren't the only ones with cameras out there.

:lol:
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

is that number directly to you or your crew?
I'm assuming that sms is appropriate too?
be gentle, I'm new to this!
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

godinoz wrote: Now Turbo, I hate to rock your boat, but there are a lot of independant stringers (freelance) out there, so you aren't the only ones with cameras out there. :lol:
Doubt you would rock his boat.... Very strange comment to make