Jem
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden
Bearcat UBC9000XLT (Base)
Bearcat UBC72XLT (Handheld)
Bearcat UBC760XLT (Mobile)

Why do you listen to a scanner?

Post by Jem »

Ok, here's a question I got asked.

I have been listening to scanners on and off for about 20 years.
I used to enjoy listening mainly to WAPOL and SJA when we could as my brother used to drive a tow truck (yes he was a vulture).
I continued listening until SJA stopped transmitting locations via voice.
I continued listening to WAPOL until they went digital.
I now listen to FESA and the Helitak(c)s.

My wife is in no way interested in what is going on unless there is a fire close to our house (because we have so many animals she wants to be prepared to move).

So she asked me the other day (as she has many times) whilst I was trying to convince her to let me put my Discone up on the roof).

Why do you listen to a scanner?
What is so interesting about other peoples misfortunes?
Why is it so interesting to you to know what is going on?

And for the first time (instead of my normal answer of "Because I find it fun") I thought why do I?

So please let me know why you feel the need or want to listen to (and in some cases act on) the information (whichever frequency you prefer) and what does it give you in return.

Thanks

Q
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Why do you listen to a scanner?

Post by Zebedee »

Jem wrote:Why do you listen to a scanner?
What is so interesting about other peoples misfortunes?
Why is it so interesting to you to know what is going on?

And for the first time (instead of my normal answer of "Because I find it fun") I thought why do I?

So please let me know why you feel the need or want to listen to (and in some cases act on) the information (whichever frequency you prefer) and what does it give you in return.
Good question and probably one that a number of us have either been asked, or have asked of ourselves at one point or other.

Best answer I can give from when I was an active scanner listener is because it's fun as you said, and also because you get to know a heck of a lot more about what's going on than if you wait for it to appear in the media. There were a number of times I heard something on a police frequency and thought "Hmm, I might take a different way home, those streets are bound to be jammed solid with traffic!"

Nowadays, I tend to only listen to specific things. For example airband stuff when I'm near an airport and want to know what's going on, etc.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Jem
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden
Bearcat UBC9000XLT (Base)
Bearcat UBC72XLT (Handheld)
Bearcat UBC760XLT (Mobile)

Post by Jem »

Fair enough answer.

Also peoples opinion on "acting on information" heard on the scanner.
I know myself I have attended accidents and fire incidents with regards info heard on the scanner and also used the info to avoid the road blocks etc to get a better look.

My excuse is I am an avid photographer and enjoy helicopters so I like to get photo's of them in action.
Is this considered wrong (I believe the rules state something about scanners being legal but acting on information heard is not... please correct me if this is wrong)

Q
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Jem wrote:Fair enough answer.

Also peoples opinion on "acting on information" heard on the scanner.
I know myself I have attended accidents and fire incidents with regards info heard on the scanner and also used the info to avoid the road blocks etc to get a better look.

My excuse is I am an avid photographer and enjoy helicopters so I like to get photo's of them in action.
Is this considered wrong (I believe the rules state something about scanners being legal but acting on information heard is not... please correct me if this is wrong)

Q
Well, there's two parts to that answer in my opinion...

First one is the law. I'm no lawyer and I don't play one on TV, so this isn't legal advice ;)

But, to the best of my knowledge, there is no law prohibiting a person from acting on something they have heard on the scanner. After all, taking a different route home because you heard about a traffic crash is acting on information heard. Tow truck drivers used to monitor the police frequencies for the opposite reason - they wanted to know where the crashes were so they could be first on the scene and get the job...

I'm fairly sure that there would be a case to answer though if a person were using a scanner to assist them in committing a crime. That's a whole different kettle of fish...

The second half to the answer, as I see it anyway, is that this forum's motto is providing a voice for responsible scanner users in Western Australia... To me, that means that as a responsible scanner user, we shouldn't be putting ourselves in harm's way, or otherwise getting in the way of anyone. To use your point about being a photographer - if someone was listening to the scanner, and arriving at firegrounds and trampling all over like the owned the joint ... then that might not be illegal, but I think it'd certainly be "wrong".

That's my 2c on the matter :)

It is very dark.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Since i was young, i have always loved listening to the Air band, just so i know whats going on... and getting used to the procedures and types of things that go on in aviation.

Since i began my flight training, i still enjoy listening to the frequencies of jandakot airport, so i can hear and see whats going on around the place.

I never really got into Emergency Services Radio - but thats something that will come with time i suppose
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
yorky

Post by yorky »

This is something I'm often asked as well. Why do I have so many antenna's on my vehicle?

It really is difficult to explain to people that don't participate in scanning or radios. Like with most things in life, certain gear can be used for both work AND recreational use.

I compare to things like auto-mobiles, people use them to get from Point A to Point B, to transport, to commute. Others use them in a recreational way say motor racing or drag strips. Or mobile phones, people use them to simply make a call. Others use them in there 'own' way to do extra things like Internet connectivity or games etc.

The only way I can explain is that its a hobby for the most part, and something to work on during down time. I would much rather listen/learn how to listen to a certain frequency (ie, what's happening in the REAL world), than say sit on my butt watching TV.

To do this requires know-how, and since everything to do with radio waves in general are used in many, many devices it gives you a better understanding on the way things work. Personally I also like to hear what is going on around town straight from the horses mouth, and know where traffic congestion is as well.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Zebedee wrote:But, to the best of my knowledge, there is no law prohibiting a person from acting on something they have heard on the scanner.
Im 99% sure there is a law about acting on information heard over a scanner, but I think its very rarely enforced.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Turbo wrote:
Zebedee wrote:But, to the best of my knowledge, there is no law prohibiting a person from acting on something they have heard on the scanner.
Im 99% sure there is a law about acting on information heard over a scanner, but I think its very rarely enforced.
I have spent quite a bit of time searching, and haven't come up with any such law. The Radiocommunications Act 1992 doesn't have any such provision that I could see, and I haven't found any references to it anywhere else.

In all my years of scanning, the idea of there being a law has been widely mentioned, but I've yet to see any reference to where such a law might actually be ...

It is very dark.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

I listen to the scanner for a number of reasons, in the days when WA Police could be listened to, it was to hear the idiots in high speed chases being caught, or some of the funny things that they would be called to.
Now days it's more when there's a large fire, to see who's there, and when I don't have a pager see if Darlington is present, if I do listen out for a request for more light tankers or in some cases a direct request for Darlington if it's in our area and a smallish fire.
While I was in the process of obtaining my amateur license I listened to the ham bands to see what goes on.
Not a lot else really, mostly use it for the fires and during storm season listen to SES.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.