Bonnet scoops

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

badboyau69

Bonnet scoops

Post by badboyau69 »

Hey all, Not sure if this is in the right section feel free to move it elsewhere.

Anyone know of any sites where i can get advice on the legalities of bonnet scoops as i have one on my vehicle and was told by an officer the other day it was illegal but he never put a sticker on it.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Bonnet scoops

Post by Zebedee »

badboyau69 wrote:Hey all, Not sure if this is in the right section feel free to move it elsewhere.

Anyone know of any sites where i can get advice on the legalities of bonnet scoops as i have one on my vehicle and was told by an officer the other day it was illegal but he never put a sticker on it.
I'd start by talking to the Department of Transport...

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
bakerboy

Post by bakerboy »

was it forward or rear facing?
badboyau69

Post by badboyau69 »

forward facing also do you know the legal height
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

As Zebedee suggested. Get in contact with the Department of Transport. Members of the board can only provide opinions unless they of course work for the department. And if it is illegal and you get booked and you use the excuse of but we thought it was alright then you'll probably get very little sympathy.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
NiSig
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden 200XLT handheld, Uniden 70XLT handheld, Icom 400 Pro transceiver(mobile), Uniden UH100 transceiver (base), A Uniden Pro640XL 27Mhz base/mobile, Some ancient Saiko base/mobile scanner, plus various UHF handhelds. Am I a radio geek yet?

Post by NiSig »

G'day all,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I hope what I can contribute will be of interest.

According to a friend of mine who wrote an actual letter to the Inspector in charge of the Police Traffic Branch (back when it was called the Traffic Branch) and got a personal reply not the brush-off, there is no fixed measurement of XXcm above the bonnet to answer this question.

The answer he got was that the bonnet scoop must be of such a height so as not to obstruct the vision of the driver of the vehicle. In other words if you're tall it seems you can have a taller bonnet scoop than a short person because you can see over it. I have no idea how this rule works for a vehicle that has multiple drivers and I can see it would be open to interpretation by many a roadside person-in-blue.

Hope this helps.
Or maybe it'll just re-open a big fat can'o'worms.
"Roger that, NiSig out"

Dave
Signals and Comms section, Castledare Miniature Railway
Signalling Interest Group of WA
Railpage
Channel 3 UHF and Channel 14 UHF where I answer to NiSig or Sandman