News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

AFP

Post by phreak »

Hey Guys,

Was heading south down Tonkin Hwy at about 2230 on Friday night and spotted an AFP Ford Station Wagon parked on the side of the road with lights on attending what looked like either an abandoned vehicle or MVA. Do AFP PSO's or Agents have a legal obligation to attend these or leave it for the Local LEO's? What about Defence Police (MilPol, SECPOL etc)?

Obviously anyone that witnesses a MVA would in their right mind stop and assist, but legally - are they supposed to?

Cheers
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: AFP

Post by Tyranus »

when travelling in an emergency vehicle...yes it is expected. It would look bad on the service if they drove straight past an accident without stopping unless they were going to a bomb scare or something at the airport. Once WA Police arrive on scene the incident would be handed over to them.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

If that particular location was part of, or adjacent to, the airport then they may have attended as a matter of course.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

auntys_eyes wrote:If that particular location was part of, or adjacent to, the airport then they may have attended as a matter of course.
in retrospect, i think they were attending as a matter of course. the incident was between gt eastern hwy and horrie miller dve.
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

I think you will find AFP have no legal right to do anything related in WA.
E.G accidents shootings etc.. just the rights of a normal citizen

except if its on federal property like parliament, or stuff like that.

correct me if I am wrong pls. e.g if afp officer sees a guy grafitting he can't do anything but follow, report to wapol or make a citizens arrest (opening up a whole can of worms).
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

there are so many grey areas when it comes to that. i'd say you were correct tho.

the same goes for milpol or secpol. they only have citizen powers outside of a base (unless in war time conditions) i think. but i do believe that they still have power of arrest etc if the poi is believed to be serving in the ADF.
Froggles

Post by Froggles »

As a side note, There are still a bunch of WAPOL officers on secondment to the AFP - So theres no telling which officers can draw from which legislation..
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

WARSUG Public Transport Moderator
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

AFP Police Officers can draw upon state legislation under their powers from the Crimes Act 1914 and AFP Act, however most members in WA are Special Constables of the WA Police. In most instances the AFP arn't insterested in state property or person offences unless they have a cross jursitiction element....thats why we have state police.

There have been instances, such as the Victoria Bush Fires, where AFP Agents have been used for Community Policing to assist state police however this would generally only be at the request of the state.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

I have seen AFP attend/handle a crash that occured on airport land in the NT as this is their jurisdiction
SOR
Scanners and Receivers: Alicno DJ-x11E
Uniden UBC92XLT
TAIT 2020 UHF
Boefung GT-3
Motorola XTS-5000, GP-328

Post by SOR »

SecPol, Militay Police (MP) and Naval Police (NPC) juristiction ceases at the main gat of any Military base. How ever local police can request assistance on civilian roads from Service Police. How ever NPC's do carry juristiction in all Commonwealth buildings and have the full power of arrest in this case. All Service Police can carry handcuffs, ASP Batons and OC Spray, however they are restricted to carrying sidearms (Browning 9mm) for official duty only on civilian streets.

In saying this if they are first on scene, they are allowed to use thier vehicles lights (if fitted) as warning device, but will hand control overto loacal authorities once ther are on scene.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

The AFP role has somewhat expanded around the Airport under a MOU with WA Police and they are now attending/managing most incidents that occur within the Airport Precinct.

You will soon start seeing them doing RBT/Traffic around the Airport now they have been gazetted to do so.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra