Manual License

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Manual License

Post by phreak »

Is there a short cut to getting your manual license (C) if you only currently hold your Automatic (C-A)? Apart from sitting a driving test with an examiner thru DPI?
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Manual License

Post by Zebedee »

To the best of my knowledge (and others may be able to shed more light on this), to change from a C-A to a C class licence, you just need to do a practical driving assessment in a manual car.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
xli

Post by xli »

I'm in that situation. I'm pretty sure Zebedee is right, but I'm also curious as to whether we'd be considered a P plater when driving manuals, and fully licensed with autos? :?
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

xli wrote:I'm in that situation. I'm pretty sure Zebedee is right, but I'm also curious as to whether we'd be considered a P plater when driving manuals, and fully licensed with autos? :?
doubtful. you're removing a restriction on your license. when you get a MR or HR class license, you dont go back on 'P' plates, same with motorcycle licenses if you've already held a car license..
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

If you're on P-plates currently, then you'll also be on P-plates if you change, although you don't "start again".

If you're not on P-plates currently then you won't be if you change from C-A to C.

It is very dark.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

I heard, or maybe read somewhere, that you can apply for a MR or HR and your C-A automatically changes to C when you obtain the aforementioned? I know its more trouble than obviously just booking in an assesment.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

dunno. I would have thought that if you were restricted to an automatic car then you'd be restricted to getting an automatic truck and if you want a manual truck license you would need to have an unrestricted car license.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Aha!

I knew I'd seen that stuff somewhere, but when I went onto DPI's site last night, I obviously wasn't looking in the right place :)

Opened just about every other page on their site though, looking for that bit :P

It is very dark.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

Zebedee wrote:Aha!

I knew I'd seen that stuff somewhere, but when I went onto DPI's site last night, I obviously wasn't looking in the right place :)

Opened just about every other page on their site though, looking for that bit :P
same boat as you mate, could not find that anywhere. ok that's been cleared up! cheers for the help guys.

actually, this might be an obvious question; but would you need to obtain a Learners permit to drive a manual and then sit your practical? Or could you ring DPI and just ask them for a practical? I realise I could just ring DPI directly but it would take just as long for them to take me off hold!
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

well when someone on their L's is under going a test, including me when I was sitting my test for HR drives the vehicle without their L plates up, so yes you could if you were proficient with your gear changes etc just book in, not drive to the centre. do the test and provided all goes well then you can drive home again :). If you're wanting to drive before that, you may need L plates, not sure you'd have to phone DPI for that I think.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

phreak wrote:...would you need to obtain a Learners permit to drive a manual and then sit your practical? Or could you ring DPI and just ask them for a practical? I realise I could just ring DPI directly but it would take just as long for them to take me off hold!
That's another one of those things that I remember reading somewhere, but can't find now ;)

I'm fairly sure that if you have a C class licence with an A restriction, you don't need to apply for a learners permit, or put up L-plates when you're practicing in a manual car before your upgrade test. But I think you *do* need to have someone suitably qualified to teach you to drive a manual in the passenger seat with you.

Again, it's one of those things that I remember reading some time ago and thinking to myself "oh, so that's how it works!" - but can't remember exactly where I saw it now :)

It is very dark.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

Zebedee wrote:
phreak wrote:...would you need to obtain a Learners permit to drive a manual and then sit your practical? Or could you ring DPI and just ask them for a practical? I realise I could just ring DPI directly but it would take just as long for them to take me off hold!
That's another one of those things that I remember reading somewhere, but can't find now ;)

I'm fairly sure that if you have a C class licence with an A restriction, you don't need to apply for a learners permit, or put up L-plates when you're practicing in a manual car before your upgrade test. But I think you *do* need to have someone suitably qualified to teach you to drive a manual in the passenger seat with you.

Again, it's one of those things that I remember reading some time ago and thinking to myself "oh, so that's how it works!" - but can't remember exactly where I saw it now :)
once again, thanks for the info. i'm going to ring DPI tomorrow, play the waiting game on hold - and feed back the results on here when i know.