Parking of Emergency Vehicles

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Parking of Emergency Vehicles

Post by ConstableCare »

Looks like the vehicle is obstructing a footpath... Wonder if the Rangers gave them a fine?

CC 8)
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re:

Post by phreak »

ConstableCare wrote:Looks like the vehicle is obstructing a footpath... Wonder if the Rangers gave them a fine?

CC 8)
and line of sight at a round-a-bout hehe oh well
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re:

Post by written_ficton »

ConstableCare wrote:Looks like the vehicle is obstructing a footpath... Wonder if the Rangers gave them a fine?

CC 8)

Rangers cannot give them a fine, these are classed as 'Emergency Vechile's"
I've closed the door!
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: Re:

Post by Tyranus »

written_ficton wrote:

CC 8)

Rangers cannot give them a fine, these are classed as 'Emergency Vechile's"
Tell that to the 2 police officers that parked their car on the verge illegaly while they went and got lunch...It's an emergency vehicle only when the lights are flashing and siren wailing unless pulled over in which case at least the lights are flashing. If we get caught speeding and we're not under lights and sirens...guess what, we get a fine and where applicable lose demerit points.
If the van is parked across a path illegaly then the rangers are well within their right to give it a ticket, however I think you'd find most would use a bit of disgression, and probably leave it.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
gkoutlis

Re: Police Burglary Hot Spot Vehicles

Post by gkoutlis »

Guys!!!

We are going way-off Topic here - this is not the place to be badgering the way Police vehicles park. If you have a problem with it, rather than bitch about it to everyone - complain to the respective Police Station - not on this Section or anywhere else.

Consider this an official warning. Next step will be to lock this thread.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: Re:

Post by Fastlane »

Tyranus wrote:
written_ficton wrote:Rangers cannot give them a fine, these are classed as 'Emergency Vechile's"
Tell that to the 2 police officers that parked their car on the verge illegaly while they went and got lunch...It's an emergency vehicle only when the lights are flashing and siren wailing unless pulled over in which case at least the lights are flashing. If we get caught speeding and we're not under lights and sirens...guess what, we get a fine and where applicable lose demerit points.
If the van is parked across a path illegaly then the rangers are well within their right to give it a ticket, however I think you'd find most would use a bit of disgression, and probably leave it.
It's not as clear-cut as you think. The rules in the Road Traffic Code are slightly different for Police vehicles than all other emergency vehicles. In fact a Police Vehicle (marked or otherwise) can legally exceed the speed limit without lights and sirens, however, they'd need to be able to prove that it was reasonable given the circumstances. You'll also find a Police Vehicle is always considered an emergency vehicle whilst being used for official duties (whatever they may be), whereas a Fire Appliance or Ambulance are only considered emergency vehicles whilst going to a fire "where human life is reasonably considered to be in danger" or "answering an urgent call or conveying any injured or sick person..." respectively.

Regardless, the exemptions as far as parking and standing are in a different regulation in the code, and specifically say:
282. Stopping and parking exemption for emergency vehicles,
police vehicles and authorised persons
(1) A provision of Part 12 does not apply to the driver of an
emergency vehicle or a vehicle being used for routine official
duties by a member of the Police Force if, in the
circumstances —
(a) the driver is taking reasonable care; and
(b) it is reasonable that the provision should not apply.
You could argue that getting your lunch isn't a reasonable reason for a parking law to to apply. But remember, this is for offences against the Road Traffic Act, which are not administered or enforced by Local Govt. If they got fined, it was likely by the force itself.

It also comes down to what the Local Government's Parking Local Laws say and also where they were parking at the time. If it's a road managed by Main Roads WA, the Ranger cannot touch it and it is a Police problem. Same if it is within a certain distance of an intersection controlled by traffic lights on a bridge or in a subway.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: Police Burglary Hot Spot Vehicles

Post by Fastlane »

gkoutlis wrote:Guys!!!

We are going way-off Topic here - this is not the place to be badgering the way Police vehicles park. If you have a problem with it, rather than bitch about it to everyone - complain to the respective Police Station - not on this Section or anywhere else.

Consider this an official warning. Next step will be to lock this thread.

G
Chill gk! I believe the previous post to yours on this subject was from a mod for this very section. The discussion isn't nasty or narky, so why quell healthy discussion? Isn't that what a forum is for? :D
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: Parking of Emergency Vehicles

Post by Tyranus »

As you can all see I have split the topic as it has come up before and it is becoming more relevant to SJA and Fire appliances as we post. If you want to comment again specifically on the photo's by all means do so. But otherwise let the discussion continue.
Thanks for that info fastlane...and the plot thickens.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Well we are told if its an emergency vechile wether FESA, WAPOL, or SJA as long as you know its an emergency vechile then do not fine it.

Clear, cut plain and simple. I stand by my previous post - case closed! [-o< [-o<
I've closed the door!
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

written_ficton wrote:Well we are told if its an emergency vechile wether FESA, WAPOL, or SJA as long as you know its an emergency vechile then do not fine it.

Clear, cut plain and simple. I stand by my previous post - case closed! [-o< [-o<
When you refer to "we", are you refering to work you may have done as a parking inspector or range? Who told you this information? Is it based on LAW (very much doubt it). More likely the information given to you is based on courtisy to the members of these emergency services and an understanding that they generally park in certain "illegal" areas so they can be close to their vehicles. I think you will find that statement given to you is not based on law.

Say an incident occured which was caused by, for example, an ambulance parked in a no parking zone, and the ambulance wasn't attending an incident, they were getting lunch. There would be no place for the driver to hide and would most likely be charged. The law in no way allows an Ambulance, SES or Fire Brigade vehicle to break any road rule at any time unless they are responding to an incident, as defined in the traffic act.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

written_ficton wrote:Well we are told if its an emergency vechile wether FESA, WAPOL, or SJA as long as you know its an emergency vechile then do not fine it.

Case closed - pah!

It means nothing if it was your mum or dad or cousins sisters neighbours dog groomer who told you.

But if it was your boss who told you, well, bosses often get it wrong, or can't be bothere explaining the whole story because it is too hard to tell or people may not be capable of understanding it. As you get older and wiser you learn that the old mantra "to believe nothing that you hear and half of what you see" is so true.

I am sure that a court could easily be convinced that it was more dangerous to leave that monstrosity of a vehicle there, obstructing motorists views and the footpath, than the good it would have done, especially when there are plenty of straight roads to leave it on. It would have been interesting to see what happened if there was a crash there caused by the van obstructing vision, or a mother pushing a pram had to walk on the road to avoid the van and was hit by a car. If that happened I doubt there would be a judge who would be brave enough to say that they were justified in leaving the van there because it can be used as an emergency vehicle.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

observer wrote:

When you refer to "we", are you refering to work you may have done as a parking inspector or range? Who told you this information? Is it based on LAW (very much doubt it). More likely the information given to you is based on courtisy to the members of these emergency services and an understanding that they generally park in certain "illegal" areas so they can be close to their vehicles. I think you will find that statement given to you is not based on law.

Say an incident occured which was caused by, for example, an ambulance parked in a no parking zone, and the ambulance wasn't attending an incident, they were getting lunch. There would be no place for the driver to hide and would most likely be charged. The law in no way allows an Ambulance, SES or Fire Brigade vehicle to break any road rule at any time unless they are responding to an incident, as defined in the traffic act.
Work that I have done yes, three councils that I know of simply disregard emergency vechiles. However, if someone else decided to take them to court then that is a different matter.

I have not heard one council given a parking ticket directly to FESA, WAPOL & SJA............
I've closed the door!
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

And the other thing is if a woman did get hit by a car and it came out in court that the old man across the road had a photo of the police officer talking to a local government ranger in the morning when they were setting it up, and the ranger didn't say anything to the police officer but instead said it was a good idea and the boss says we don't have to worry about police cars because they can park wherever they want, then it could be argued that the ranger and his boss both failed in their duty of care and were partly responsible for the accident.

Bit of a long bow but these things can end up as convoluted as that.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Toottoot wrote:And the other thing is if a woman did get hit by a car and it came out in court that the old man across the road had a photo of the police officer talking to a local government ranger in the morning when they were setting it up, and the ranger didn't say anything to the police officer but instead said it was a good idea and the boss says we don't have to worry about police cars because they can park wherever they want, then it could be argued that the ranger and his boss both failed in their duty of care and were partly responsible for the accident.

Where did the woman come into this??????? The car is parked on the roundabout.... bid deal..... - NO WOMAN, no if or but scenes..... Its a van parked on the roundabout.....

least they are having an active presence in the suburb!
I've closed the door!
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

written_ficton wrote:
Toottoot wrote:And the other thing is if a woman did get hit by a car and it came out in court that the old man across the road had a photo of the police officer talking to a local government ranger in the morning when they were setting it up, and the ranger didn't say anything to the police officer but instead said it was a good idea and the boss says we don't have to worry about police cars because they can park wherever they want, then it could be argued that the ranger and his boss both failed in their duty of care and were partly responsible for the accident.

Where did the woman come into this??????? The car is parked on the roundabout.... bid deal..... - NO WOMAN, no if or but scenes..... Its a van parked on the roundabout.....

least they are having an active presence in the suburb!
That seems to be the issue these days. People don't seem to be able to think for themselves. Can't see whats around the corner. I'm not having a go at you specifically so please don't think that.

I call it cognitive outsourcing - people just think 'well someone else said it so it must be true therefore I don't need to think anymore about it' so they just end up being sheep. (Often leave it up to Today Tonight and A Current Affair to do their thinking for them.)

I can see me walking along the street with my child in the pram, being forced to walk on the road then thinking 'Is this safe? What if...'. And if it was me and something did happen as a result of having to walk off the footpath I would be making sure those responsible for leaving the wretched van there are called to answer for their actions.

I guess what I am saying is I would argue strongly in court that based upon the clause 282 Fastlane has posted, the vehicle is parked illegally because the driver has not taken reasonable care. (It is hard to work out what that clause means without reading the rest of that and any other relevant acts.)

I shall agree to disagree on this one and leave it at that.