US Police

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

US Police

Post by Ausrob »

I was just watching an episode of cops and they have mobile finger print scanning machines where it takes a scan and automatically uploads it to the server and gives them the ID of the person.

Any idea if WA police will start using this soon?
Cows moo over the rainbow
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

It can also be seen in Road Wars and Police Interceptors.

Too costly is my guess at this time.

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
yorky

Post by yorky »

^ UK police I'm guessing there Walks? There huge rollout of ANPR also must have cost a fortune but must catch a lot of people.

People here complain about the odd mobile speed camera, imagine if half the Police vehicles here had ANPR and fixed cameras along main routes!

Like I always say, don't do the wrong thing and there's nothing to worry about.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Natatha

Post by Natatha »

Any idea what state/city that was in?

This is actually the first time I've heard of this technology anywhere. I know that my city doesn't have it for sure, and I'm also pretty sure that none of the surrounding areas have it either, seeing as I hear the officers always having to call in D/L + Plate numbers to get an ID on the person.
Mike Kelly

Fire Explorer 881
Altoona Fire Department
Altoona, Wisconsin, USA
jasonjag
Banned

Yorky's right

Post by jasonjag »

yorky wrote:^ UK police I'm guessing there Walks? There huge rollout of ANPR also must have cost a fortune but must catch a lot of people.

People here complain about the odd mobile speed camera, imagine if half the Police vehicles here had ANPR and fixed cameras along main routes!

Like I always say, don't do the wrong thing and there's nothing to worry about.
"Yorky" is right, dont break the law and you have nothing to worry about, talking to a Police Sup one day said, on TV, Radio and papers, Moltinovas are advertised every day where they will be. plus we know thier regular haunts,yet they still rake in 10 million bucks a year with the Multinovas, so that means people don not car about the laws, especially speed.. jj
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

Someone will not drink drive because:

A) They will get a fine/suspended license
B) It is the wrong thing to do
C) It is dangerous.

I belong to the last group, but most people are in group A, (my opinion)
We need to start convincing group A that they should not drink drive because it is dangerous as opposed to the penalties if they get caught. After all, no fine can bring back a life.
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: Yorky's right

Post by robbage »

jasonjag wrote:.. talking to a Police Sup one day said, on TV, Radio and papers, Moltinovas are advertised every day where they will be.
I thought the Multanova locations weren't aired any more?
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Natatha wrote:Any idea what state/city that was in?
The episode of COPS is season 20, episode 39 and it's in the second of three stories in that episode. You may be able to find it online, depending on where you look ;)

At the beginning of the segment, it shows as "East Precinct, Portland Police Bureau, Oregon."

I found this article on the New York Times website about it, and this article on a website called "Government Computer News".
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Multanova locations are still advertised in the Southwest. Multanova is the best tax we have in Western Australia.... Completely voluntary. You choose whether or not to contribute by your actions.
Natatha

Post by Natatha »

Zebedee wrote:
The episode of COPS is season 20, episode 39 and it's in the second of three stories in that episode. You may be able to find it online, depending on where you look ;)

At the beginning of the segment, it shows as "East Precinct, Portland Police Bureau, Oregon."

I found this article on the New York Times website about it, and this article on a website called "Government Computer News".
Interesting. I saw your clip that you sent.

This is in-fact, news to me. It looked like an older episode mostly from the text on the screen, and the car they were using. However, this is the first time I've really heard of it. Although, I think that Oregon, and most of the West Coast are the areas that try out new tech with the police, and then if they find it useful, they send it around. Sometimes, it doesn't get okayed, but they keep it anyway.

I'll keep my eyes open, and do some checking into it.
Mike Kelly

Fire Explorer 881
Altoona Fire Department
Altoona, Wisconsin, USA
yorky

Post by yorky »

That episode is only the end of last season so its not that old (though of course the actual date may be older) :)
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

yorky wrote:That episode is only the end of last season so its not that old (though of course the actual date may be older) :)
Yeah, it was first screened in the US within the last couple of months as best I can remember.

But that's not to say that they might not be sneaky and "recycle" some older segments occasionally ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

I remember an older episode of COPS where the 2 detectives were after a criminal that had been on the run for a long time.

He was notorious for giving false information and his appearance had changed a fair bit since the last time they had seen him.

When they caught him they used a simple pager and pretended it was a "finger-print scanner". They pushed the screen against his finger and then pretended to upload the finger-print into the police database.

When they got the "results back from dispatch", he then admitted he was the suspect they were after.
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

This is actually the first time I've heard of this technology anywhere. I know that my city doesn't have it for sure, and I'm also pretty sure that none of the surrounding areas have it either, seeing as I hear the officers always having to call in D/L + Plate numbers to get an ID on the person.
No but I will be able to find it as it's recent because the cars had LED lightbars (1-3 seasons old). Once I have it I will upload it to youtube.
Cows moo over the rainbow
yorky

Post by yorky »

Ausrob wrote:

No but I will be able to find it as it's recent because the cars had LED lightbars (1-3 seasons old). Once I have it I will upload it to youtube.
Zebedee already stated the details a few posts up :)