ADF EOD

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

WPXZBP

ADF EOD

Post by WPXZBP »

Waiting at the Hutton Street on-ramp to head north on the Freeway I saw a GLX Landcruiser (or similar) with red and blue bar lights and striping drive north on the Freeway. Markings on the side were ADF EOD - I assume they stand for Australian Defence Force Explosive Ordinance Department/Division or something similar. Does anyone know what the letters mean if my thoughts are not correct?
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

Yep, I'd say you're spot-on.

Their short title is 'Army Bomb Squad' but they refer to their work as 'unexploded ordnance'. When some digs up an exploded mortar shell in their backyard, they're the guys who'll come and assess it (and remove it!).
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

From memory FESA had a branch with the awkward acronym UXO (UneXploded Ordinance) which had a similar role to the "bomb squad". Methinks they are no longer "operational" but simply manage private contractors who do the jobs.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Take a look at http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/uplo ... cs/uxo.pdf

Seems they never had the role of clearing/defusing dodgy stuff people stumbled across. They've disappeared from all of FESA's structure charts nowadays - wonder if the co-ordination has gone across to another govt department?

As for the Army guys - they're the ones that set off flares and start bushfires in the middle of summer :D
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Fastlane wrote:Take a look at http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/uplo ... cs/uxo.pdf

Seems they never had the role of clearing/defusing dodgy stuff people stumbled across. They've disappeared from all of FESA's structure charts nowadays - wonder if the co-ordination has gone across to another govt department?

As for the Army guys - they're the ones that set off flares and start bushfires in the middle of summer :D
Yep - I saw that document last night. Dunno what happened to them - when FESA was first started they were part of the structure but not any more.

I won't comment on the army guys. :lol:
Glen
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Glen »

Hi

FESA UXO closed down about 2-3 years now

Regards Glen
AustDave

ADF EOD

Post by AustDave »

Yes ADF EOD is Australian Defence Force Exlposice OrDinance.

There are 3 units base at Garden Island. These pple under the right circumstance I am led to believe are allowed to respond with a P2 status but only after clearance from VKI. They are equiped with Military Radios, Police Radios (normal and Tatical) and FESA radios.
The shortest distance isn't always the direct route
KAB

Post by KAB »

WPXZBP wrote:From memory FESA had a branch with the awkward acronym UXO (UneXploded Ordinance) which had a similar role to the "bomb squad". Methinks they are no longer "operational" but simply manage private contractors who do the jobs.
when i was doing some traing with the BFS last year the trainer who is our DM showed us a video on them and tald us they are ordinary fire fighters or something that have this as a secondary thing.

Cheers
KAB
"Bakers51" BFS
"Kingfisher"on UHF
Warlord

Re: ADF EOD

Post by Warlord »

WPXZBP wrote:Waiting at the Hutton Street on-ramp to head north on the Freeway I saw a GLX Landcruiser (or similar) with red and blue bar lights and striping drive north on the Freeway. Markings on the side were ADF EOD - I assume they stand for Australian Defence Force Explosive Ordinance Department/Division or something similar. Does anyone know what the letters mean if my thoughts are not correct?
They're not part of FESA as some have suggested. These guys are indeed ADF.

AustDave is pretty much on the money with his explanation.
KAB

Post by KAB »

"Australian Defence Force (ADF) EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal)"
I got this of the defence force website.
http://www.defence.gov.au/defencemagazi ... rategy.htm

Cheers :)
KAB
"Bakers51" BFS
"Kingfisher"on UHF
WPXZBP

Re: ADF EOD

Post by WPXZBP »

WPXZBP wrote:...I assume they stand for Australian Defence Force Explosive Ordinance Department/Division or something similar.
KAB wrote:"Australian Defence Force (ADF) EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal)"
I was close then. :D
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Any photo's or is that too much to ask for :P??
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I didn't have a camera back then.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

was it similar to this one that was seen @ Royal Show?

People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Ummm... dunno... was a long time ago now.