Legality of custom LED lights on cars

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

perthskies

Legality of custom LED lights on cars

Post by perthskies »

G'day mate!

I was wondering if any of you knew whether it is legal to drive on public roads with custom LED lights on a moving vehicle? Reason I ask is that me and my mates are making a video movie and we want to make my car look a bit more "flash" for the protagonist.

I bought these blue and orange flashing lights which you attach on the air valve on the tyres from the market sheds on Victoria Quay Rd in Fremantle, they look so...nice! (I love flashing lights). :wink:

Also earlier I bought a 30 cm LED blue light stick which you can attach either to the body of the car or on the front grille of the car. This blue light stick is static and does not flash.

I googled for some information about this but only found legislation in American states regarding this.

So I gave the non-urgent Police line a call (13 14 44) and the officer said that as long as they were not red and blue flashing ones that may imitate an emegency vehicle. But he said he was not fully certain and told me to call the DPI Licensing centre as they were responsible for that sort of thing, so he said.

I was going to give the licensing centre a call but whenever I have the chance I get put on hold far too long, so was just wondering if anyone knew the answer. If not I'll try and give another call.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. :)
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Basically if it's visible to the naked eye it's illegal ie. Under car neons... If the actual bulb/led is visible it can be defected. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I heard the same. I also heard that if they were on while the vehicle is in motion then it's breaking the law. Might be wrong though.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Inspector Royale said pretty much the same thing - no directly visible blue light. Apparently those under car things are legal no matter how stupid it makes your car look
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_IB-108B.pdf

"Back in the day" plenty of car club members used to laminate this PDF and have it in their glove box for when Police pulled them over.

Basically, you can have them on but if the light tubing/globes are visible its defect time. Having said that even if they aren't visible you can still be defected for anything that Police aren't sure about!

:P
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Well there you go I can't think they're going to get in trouble anymore because of making their car look stupid.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.