Raised light bars on vehicles (like RAC)

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

yorky

Raised light bars on vehicles (like RAC)

Post by yorky »

Ok, something I just saw on the news, Japanese police cars having 'raising' light bars (which are also on many RAC vehicles now a days).

Any thoughts as to them being implemented on Aussie standard Police vehicles? My main reasoning is to raise them under priority, so they stand out more over the tops of cars. For example SJA and FESA vehicles already have lighting at a high spot so they don't need them, just the standard sedans/wagons.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
jasonjag
Banned

Re: Raised light bars on vehicles (like RAC)

Post by jasonjag »

yorky wrote:Ok, something I just saw on the news, Japanese police cars having 'raising' light bars (which are also on many RAC vehicles now a days).

Any thoughts as to them being implemented on Aussie standard Police vehicles? My main reasoning is to raise them under priority, so they stand out more over the tops of cars. For example SJA and FESA vehicles already have lighting at a high spot so they don't need them, just the standard sedans/wagons.
Yes I saw that on the News too and have the same question.
almo899

Post by almo899 »

I think its a good idea of having "raised lightbars". It would certainly help to spot the emergency vehicles better in a crowd of traffic.

Japan have had raised lightbars for years. However, it tends to only be used when stationary at an accident or warning of danger ahead. NYPD highway patrol also have a similar system with 2 big raised bars behind the vector lightbar with spot lights and warning lights attached.

While on the topic of Japanese lightbars, it may interest you to know that unmarked police cars in Japan have a single red beacon hidden in the middle of the roof, and flips over when activated to reveal the beacon along with hidden spotlights which pop up from the bumper to flash red also. Quite innovative!

Check out youtube and type in "japan police impreza" in search field and look for the pic of the white WRX to get an idea of what I mean.

Cheers,
AL
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Depends on the clearance side of things... I remember when they had those older style beacons on the roof eg.

Great lights, but not realistically practical. (Old example I know)
I'd say LED lightbars and lights should be standard on Police vehicles now as they provide a much better source of lighting... Surely having it raised up high won't make a difference to what you see in your mirror?? Even if they start using strobes in the headlights/reverse lights plus some more lighting within the rear windows etc. My two cents :)
yorky

Post by yorky »

almo899 wrote:Check out youtube and type in "japan police impreza" in search field and look for the pic of the white WRX to get an idea of what I mean.

Cheers,
AL
Those crazy Japanese think of everything. Trap door beacons whatllthey think of next! :lol:

/que transformers music

And yes the issue with driving UDD with raised lightbars could be that they could get damaged unless they have very strong arms?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

hey walks, didnt You used to call them micky mouse lights?
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

playworth wrote:hey walks, didnt You used to call them micky mouse lights?
In my younger CB days we reffered to them as "double bubbles".
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

I noticed them as well. I wonder if they are remotely controlled or you have to get out and jack them up some how
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

playworth wrote:hey walks, didnt You used to call them micky mouse lights?
Nope, they are not mickeys.

Mickey Mouse lights were traffic. Single rotator in the middle with a circular blue light on either side (hence the ears).

Seen here

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Then they went to red and blue on each side if I can remember rightly.. All I remember is a pink and grey flying through one :P Also remember the old Nissans with the single blue beacon in the middle with a perspex POLICE sign under it.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Problem with having it raised is that up close if the light bar goes up it may be out of view of the rear view mirror. I firmly believe in all emergency vehicles have some dashboard height lighting i.e. deckblasters etc. That way if you can't see the flashing headlights or blue/red and blues then you should at least see them!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
crewman

Mickey Mouse Lights

Post by crewman »

I remember these when i first moved to WA in '98

They were hilarious! they would have to be the dullest lights ever used. The huge rotator in the centre performed about 3 revolutions a minute whilst the outside blue 'Mouse ears' flashed like an ageing candle!!!