New Penalties

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

JPhillips

Post by JPhillips »

Theres ones like albany highway and leach highway that could be put up (where there are 3 lanes and the limits lower than else where)

Others are between the Mundering and the lakes (is only 80)
Joshua
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Toottoot wrote: Cameron, which roads do you believe need speed limit increases?
If I may... :-)

Alexander Drive from Gnangara Road to Hepburn Avenue. - 70Km/hr, dual divided lanes, no houses and semi-rural property on each side. Can easily be increased (back) to 80Km/hr.

Hepburn Avenue from Mirrabooka Drive to Alexander Drive. 70km/hr. Everyone and I mean everyone travels on the road at 80Km/hr.

Alas, the "speed is evil" campaign always seems to win over any logic about safe travel speed and traffic flow :(
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

westernwedgey wrote:blah blah blah, rant rant, rave, garbage drivel, etc...
Holy shit, you're full of hate aren't you?

Like people that hit a slick and come off into a tree while doing legal speeds. Like people hit by ignorant, useless drivers and get dragged under their vehicles, but again that doesn't fit your blind-ass view of the world, does it my son?
Perhaps take a while to think what you are displaying to other drivers while driving in the fashion you have stated...or should i say setting a very bad example.
Give me a god-damn break.

I've tried, exceptionally hard, to paint a picture of what is dangerous and what clearly isn't.

On my drive home today I saw three scooters dicking around in traffic, I'm amazed none of them came off with the way they were riding, people doing well over 60 in school zones, morons chatting on mobile phones, not signalling their intentions and driving foot to the floor through a busy CBD.

Where were the cops while all this was going down on a 400m stretch of road? Sitting in a rest area just outside of the town waiting for those death-wagon evil bastard highway speeders, damn them all to hell. There's something horribly, terminally wrong with that.
By all means drive like that if you feel you must, but what are you REALLY achieving...self servience or is there some greater community benefit I'm failing to see hear.
You're failing to see a lot of things here sir.
Better being 5 mins late than dead on arrival...and not killing the innocent.
Who have I killed?
HM-106 wrote:I hope cameron if and when you join the agency and join the family, you will uphold the law no matter how insignificant the law might sound to you and that you will also follow the rules that the service upholds.
So when you stick on that uniform does your sense of judgement and self worth vanish, or do you just have to try really hard to cram it deep down inside? Surely you can't agree with every word printed in your handbook, I'm not sure anybody with a heartbeat is that much of a crony.

Then again, I guess my deep need to actually help my community means nothing because I'm a horrible monster that speeds on occasion?
Right at this time mate, with what you have confessed in your last 10-12 comments, you wouldnt have a chance of becoming successful. Hopefully Recruiting does not find out bud.

Cheers
HM-106
I smell a threat. Go screw yourself, bud.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Wow how quickly this degrades. Cameron people are trying to understand your point of view yet you become hostile and don't seem to be able to accept anyone else's point of view.

I hope you grow up before you get into the the police force. That is unless you've used the same name on your application form as you've used on here and someone in the recruiting office happens across this forum and throws your application in the bin.
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

How about changing drivers attitudes first, then perhaps increase limits.

Increasing limits without changes to driver attitude, education and enforcement will only get the morons to an accident faster.

One could even throw in road design, road shoulders, etc .etc .etc.

Or maybe thats just my "full of hate, blind ass view of the world"... hey Cam daddy
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

westernwedgey wrote:How about changing drivers attitudes first, then perhaps increase limits.

Increasing limits without changes to driver attitude, education and enforcement will only get the morons to an accident faster.

One could even throw in road design, road shoulders, etc .etc .etc.

Or maybe thats just my "full of hate, blind ass view of the world"... hey Cam daddy
EXACTLY - for a road to be capable of handling higher speeds it would need to meet certain standards (AS) ie wider lanes, wide shoulders, crash barriers etc.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Toottoot wrote:Wow how quickly this degrades. Cameron people are trying to understand your point of view yet you become hostile and don't seem to be able to accept anyone else's point of view.
Said pot to kettle; you are black.
Toottoot wrote:EXACTLY - for a road to be capable of handling higher speeds it would need to meet certain standards (AS) ie wider lanes, wide shoulders, crash barriers etc.
So the fact that the roads are used at higher than posted speeds without incident a few thousand times a day doesn't show they're up to task?
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Cameron wrote: So the fact that the roads are used at higher than posted speeds without incident a few thousand times a day doesn't show they're up to task?
If you can name a road that has been used at higher than posted speed and NEVER has had an incident attributable to speed, start a petition to your local member, MRWA or other polititian and I will sign it.

Perhaps its time to do something constructive about this issue that is vexing people so much. It would be nice for you to provide some actual examples rather than running your arguments on rumour and hearsay.

Also champ, let me know where I have not attempted to accept someone elses point of view so I can apologise to them for being pompous and self righteous.
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

As has been mentioned previously increased fines may increase the amount of people unable to afford paying them...
How about the ability to work off fines??

Like working with companies that do say road maintenance, removal of graffiti on signs/structures, rubbish cleaning along highways, removing tree branches/plants that obstruct road signs, cleaning of police vehicles and ambulances, assist traffic management around maintenance crews, replanting/mulching of roadside verges/islands, cleaning up the blood in OR's, etc. etc.

A nominal portion of the rate of pay goes toward the fine and they earn the rest.

Very complicated issues to accomplish this but just a suggestion.

How about rewarding good driving also, a lot said about the offenders but how can we reward the good drivers as an incentive for others. I can think of a coupla ideas like reduction to registration costs, reduced licence fees, free advanced driving courses, mechanical workshops etc. etc.

Just thinkin out loud. :lol: :lol:
yorky

Post by yorky »

Very good thoughts WesternW.

I wouldn't want them touching Emergency vehicles though, they may have a tendency to cause damage. But doing all those other jobs seems worth it. Give them the option, pay, or work it off.

But is that basically 'community service' like you may get from the courts?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

yorky wrote:But is that basically 'community service' like you may get from the courts?
Yes, but like i said very complicated issues to work through like training, supervision, workers comp etc.

And i think community service is unpaid. I think a small amount for their effort to repay society.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Yes WW I was thinking about rewarding good drivers too. It was great when I got off my P's. I did 2 years without losing a demerit point and thus I received my license free for a year. Or if you got a 5 year license then the cost was reduced by the cost for 1 year. Something like this, but maybe if you don't lose a demerit point in 5 years you get 1 year free, if you do 10 years without losing a demerit point you get another, and if you haven't received a caution or fine, then you get 2 years free, so essentially a good driver could get 3 out of 10 years free licensing. If you received a caution or a fine at any point then you'd only get 2 years.
I know Shire of Mundaring worked in a system, where any P plater that was breathalised and blew below the limit, got put in a draw to get a free full car service at the local garage. Or it was something to that extent.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Further to that, roads needing a speed limit increase.
Bushmead Rd in Hazelmere from 50 to at least 60, preferably 70
Guildford Rd from 60 to 70
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

JPhillips wrote:Theres ones like albany highway and leach highway that could be put up (where there are 3 lanes and the limits lower than else where)

Others are between the Mundering and the lakes (is only 80)
Leach Highway perhaps but Albany highway ends up an absolute cluster with people changing lanes and merging. I think that should stay how it is.

Dont know where Mundaring lakes rd is.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Tyranus wrote:I know Shire of Mundaring worked in a system, where any P plater that was breathalised and blew below the limit, got put in a draw to get a free full car service at the local garage. Or it was something to that extent.
Heh is it just me thinking that I would follow Mr/Miss Policeman around wanting to get pulled over for an RBT :P Or instead of avoiding RBT stations go through them a few dozen times ;)

But alas I'm not on P's anyway.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator