New Penalties

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Genesis wrote:I wonder how the "hoons" would feel if they were made to pay for the damage, they cause to the roads when they do burnouts...
No worries, let me know when you want that 40c cheque posted. Rubber doesn't do a great deal of damage to correctly laid tarmacadum last time I tested it.
and on top of the hoon legislation (reckless driving charge) they get a criminal charge of damage. Do you reckon that would reduce the amount of burnouts and wheel spinning activities :?:
If you wanted to call it, say, defacing public property as opposed to criminal damage, that might be more appropriate. It's more akin to graffiti than actual breakage.

You'd be amazed how many people would rather make use of drag strips than the road anyway, where's the push for more racing complexes to be constructed?

**edit: During a five hour drive today, at one point I found myself almost 40 kph over the posted limit in order to overtake a road train in a safe and reasonable fashion.

Best lock me up, throw away the keys, etc..etc..etc..
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Book them on noise and air pollution too.
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

What about visual pollution with all the rubber marks all over the roads. That isn't necessary and it really does degrade the areas. :shock:
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Cameron wrote: No worries, let me know when you want that 40c cheque posted. Rubber doesn't do a great deal of damage to correctly laid tarmacadum last time I tested it.
Ok so you're saying the rubber doesn't clog up the roads? which then prevents traction...
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
HM-106

Post by HM-106 »

in my opinion stick to the speed limit, then you wont have to worry at all about fines.

With your speed Cameron (being at 40kph over speed limit) you could of been up for a $1000 fine + 7 demerits, 5 kph away from getting your car seized for 48hrs aswell. 5kph away from Reckless Driving.

Regards
HM-106
danny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by danny »

Cameron wrote: **edit: During a five hour drive today, at one point I found myself almost 40 kph over the posted limit in order to overtake a road train in a safe and reasonable fashion.
If it was a safe and reasonable fashion why did you need to do 40 kph over the limit...?

Surely a decent stretch of highway you can overtake the road train, and overtake safely WITHOUT doing 40kph over the limit.

If you were caught at that speed, would you of expected a caution..?

:roll:
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Well hopefully if they ever bring in "send the car to the crusher because you never learnt your lesson" hopefully you can pay to go see it i certainly would !!!
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Markmywords wrote:Well hopefully if they ever bring in "send the car to the crusher because you never learnt your lesson" hopefully you can pay to go see it i certainly would !!!
get MTV to make a show about it. haha now that would be quallity programming.
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

What we need is the courts and the magistrates to impose those sentences that are given to the Police by the Government. :evil:
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

HM-106 wrote:in my opinion stick to the speed limit, then you wont have to worry at all about fines.
In my opinion, the speed limits are now out of whack with current technology and vehicle safety.
With your speed Cameron (being at 40kph over speed limit) you could of been up for a $1000 fine + 7 demerits, 5 kph away from getting your car seized for 48hrs aswell. 5kph away from Reckless Driving.
Meh, a lot more attractive than sticking behind this clown or spending a lengthy period on the wrong side of the road.
danny wrote:If it was a safe and reasonable fashion why did you need to do 40 kph over the limit...?

Surely a decent stretch of highway you can overtake the road train, and overtake safely WITHOUT doing 40kph over the limit.
Because spending time either behind this moron kicking up debris, or on the wrong side of the road is more dangerous than just getting in front of him in a hurry. The road surface, the vehicle, the weather and my own ability allowed this, and it was perfectly safe. That's the point I'm trying to drive home, posting some arbitrary god-damn number and saying "This is dangerous, don't do it" is painfully ignorant. You can be dangerous at 20kph if you really want to be, why is it that speed alone is the considered the big factor?

Sitting next to him doing no more than 110kph would have meant spending longer on the wrong side of the road, isn't *that* dangerous, or doesn't that fit in with your misconceptions about good and bad road use?
If you were caught at that speed, would you of expected a caution..?

:roll:
Expected a caution? Nope. Would have made an interesting day in court though, I've got the spare time and the inclination to fight those kind of things.
Genesis wrote:What we need is the courts and the magistrates to impose those sentences that are given to the Police by the Government. :evil:
What we need are road rules that are actually in line with what the vast majority of people want, and react to, not just something that a few mouthpieces bitch about.

Look at this this way, if ten thousand people are "speeding" through a piece of highway every day without incident, does that tell you that ten thousand people are horrible, criminal monsters, or does it perhaps tell you that the speed limit on that piece of highway is too low?

Is common sense really so uncommon that you cannot see the fallacy of all this anti-speeding rhetoric?

**edit: For anybody curious, I've got a clean record, can operate just about anything with wheels, have no dangerous driving recorded against it, no large speeding fines, have never driven a bus through a playground, don't make a habit of acting a fool, would never endanger another person through my actions, etc..etc...
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

personally I don't condone speeding. I always try to stick to the speed limit as often as i can. But i do believe its not always the people speeding thats dangerous... its to people going under the speed limit that i find are hazards. especially when your cruising down Roe Hwy at 100km/h when some idiot jumps into your lane doing 80km/h, forcing you to jump on the brakes or do a half assed lane change.

thats just my views but i agree with Jeremy Clarkson from top gear, 'If everyone concentrated on driving at these speeds, there would be no accidents.'

feel free to add your oppinions.

Cheers
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Last edited by jmmw on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by danny »

Cameron wrote: Sitting next to him doing no more than 110kph would have meant spending longer on the wrong side of the road, isn't *that* dangerous, or doesn't that fit in with your misconceptions about good and bad road use
For starters, i am not ignorant, in fact far from it :)

Believe you me I am under no misconceptions about good and bad road use. I have seen more stupidity on the roads than you have had hot breakies.

My point was that doing 40kph over the limit to overtake was not needed, you even said you didnt want to sit behind the truck. Whats stopping you pulling over to the side of the road where its safe, have a break then continue, or overtaking him at 110kph, where if you can see a good distance ahead, there is nothing wrong with it.

As for taking fines to Court, thats your right.

Some of your points are valid, but please dont think i am misguided :)
Last edited by danny on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Haha that's a classic!

Ahhh cameron, but driving at faster speeds than necessary can hurt other people, not just physically, but if you hit a tree and wipe yourself out. Think about the lads and lasses that have to extract you and remove you, then explain to your NOK that you decided you wanted to become a hippy in a hurry.

I did a test, I left a little bit earlier for SES today, and drove on the speed limit, or below occasionally for a brief moment I might have gone over but I brought it back down again. I got there safely, in a reasonable time, and I'm driving 30KM/h, I could have raced down Reid Hwy, but it wouldn't have gained me anything.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Cameron wrote: Expected a caution? Nope. Would have made an interesting day in court though, I've got the spare time and the inclination to fight those kind of things.
You should just suck it up if you hadve got a ticket why waste tax payers money trying to defend something that you obviously would never win.

Rules are there for a reason (and yes people do and dont agree with them the powers to be make them so we follow them) if we didnt have rules we would have total anarchy on the road.

If you break them you should be penalised.

We do have some emerency workers here both paid n volunteer and they dont enjoy going to fatal accidents for a start and to say your insurance would be void straight away !!!