WAPOL or AFP

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Which Law Enforcement Agency would you work for?

WAPOL
50%
AFP
50%

Total votes: 28

phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

WAPOL or AFP

Post by phreak »

Really broad question, and I dont expect a definite yes or no from any members. But if you were given the chance to join either of these two law enforcement agencies, which one would they be? I am at a cross road at the moment. I am half way through my WAPOL application (psych left) and have just been accepted to AFP recruitment. So I am stuck...

Any thoughts...?
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

Depends, really. I am under the impression that for AFP you have to do your training based in Canberra... therefore if your personal situation won't allow that, then I'd be backing WAPol...
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

Neither
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

celestial_insight wrote:Neither

:lol:
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

That wasn't a smart answer either. Just don't reckon the govt pays enough. Couldn't imagine living on the wage of someone from WAPOL or AFP.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

my blood runs blue... so its a law enforcement agency for me. money really isn't an issue i guess. like i said.. each to their own. i still cant decide haha
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

I guess in todays world your decision does not have to be forever. If you make a decision and regret it, you can always change.

What made you apply for each one? They both offer different things? Is there something that stands out in one of them?
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

In terms of actual policing skills and investigative ability, state police agencies are far superior to the the AFP.

Unfortunately due to it's role and history the AFP is filled with paper pushing academics. If you would like to spend 3 years working on one fraud case where you will never speak to bad guy then go with the AFP.

Before you mention the IDG , remember that is made of mainly state based police officers with a minimum of 6 years operational experience.

Consider what you really want to do because while AFP and WAPOL may both law enforcement agencies they perform vastly different roles.
APCO 25 Encrypted

Post by APCO 25 Encrypted »

Ask DAZLA. He is in the AFP.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

CHEV, obviously you’re not talking about ACT Policing.....who are AFP Police Officers. I think a Constable in the ACT does just as much work as a Constable in Perth.

Over here I only need 3 years before I can go to IDG for a Mission in the Solomon Islands plus I have the opportunity to work in Cyprus, Christmas Islands and Norfolk Island etc. The AFP is a large organization will allot of different avenues.....from a career point of view you would probably have more options to serve around the country and overseas in both Community Policing. Protection and Criminal Investigations.

As a side note, there were 3 lateral WA Police coppers in the College at the same times as me...
daniel86

Post by daniel86 »

I say WAPOL, why u may ask? Is cos id miss ya big guy :D
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I say AFP.....more money!!:)
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

why are you joining ,from what i know theres more hands-on action in wapol plus wapol need more people
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

dazla wrote:I say AFP.....more money!!:)
DONE! haha

i've got my AFP PCA in a few mondays from now. I had my WAPOL psych today and went pretty well I guess.

I would like to go to WAPOL because of the local feel to it. I would like the hands on policing work and dealing with day to day, 'real' crime. However, the AFP PSO role appeals to me on so many levels. The ability to travel around the country, good pay, good conditions. I'm going thru both application processes at the moment so i'll let you know.
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

Good luck, phreak :)
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)