Discussion: Do we need the Road Traffic Authority back?

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Should the Road Traffic Authortity be reformed?

Yes
73%
No
23%
Undecided
5%

Total votes: 22

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Discussion: Do we need the Road Traffic Authority back?

Post by vk6hgr »

Hi All.

I've been reading some interesting articles recently about our high road toll and possible solutions to reduce the problem. One suggestion someone had is a reformation of the Road Traffic Authority. The RTA has (had) the authority to enforce the Road Traffic Code on public roads - but are not police: similar to public transport authority security who have police powers on railway property.

I think its a good idea. It would keep sworn officers for police work but get more 'police presence' on the road to to enforce the law on bad drivers.

What do you reckon? Lets get some discussion going!
:smt024 :smt001
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

I think its a great idea - Not bad at all...
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I remember when I first came to Australia, that there was the Police and the RTA. As far as I know, the RTA did the job that the traffic police now do (more or less).

I've always believed that the most effective solution to stopping people from doing the wrong things on the road is to have lots more police out there, being very visible as a deterrent and in an enforcement role. However re-forming the RTA would have the same effect.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

The RTA was dissolved in 1982:

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/ABOUTUS/Our ... fault.aspx

And:

"The Authority was formed to ensure enforcement of the various Acts and Regulations in respect to traffic and facilitate and maintain a licensing system for vehicles and motor drivers. The Authority was further charged with research into traffic accidents, the collection and analysis of statistics, publication of information and advice of a general or technical nature, investigation of laws relating to traffic and most significantly "... the attaining of the continuous co-operation and support of the community in achieving higher standards of road safety and more efficient traffic movement" (Road Traffic Authority Annual Report 1975)."
http://aeon.sro.wa.gov.au/Investigator/ ... hPage=Item

Interestingly, in 1980 the RAC pressured the government of the day to keep the RTA separate from the police:

http://100years.rac.com.au/milestones.html
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

Zebedee wrote:As far as I know, the RTA did the job that the traffic police now do (more or less).
That's how I think it was as well. The problem, I think, is that traffic police are sworn officers - they are called upon for general police duties as well.

The problem isn't that we need stricter hoon laws or lower speed limits, but a more visible presence of police on the roads. I reckon there are simply so few police on our roads these days that many people think they can get away with driving however they feel like - since the chances of being caught are small :-(
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

I agree that this would be a great idea, but do you think that with the changes in attitudes of drivers especially younger ones who dont seem to understand the dangers in speeding, drink driving etc would take much more notice than they are now. Its becoming a "culture" now the way that alot of these drivers are flaunting the laws. I have always believed its got to come down to education both in schools and at home. Does this make sense?

Sheer presence on the roads is a good thing but it has to be a two way street if you get my drift!!!

8)
Kombi

I agree, But

Post by Kombi »

Edited by admin - inappropriate
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: I agree, But

Post by jmmw »

Edit by admin - quotes deleted post
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Rockjet wrote:I agree that this would be a great idea, but do you think that with the changes in attitudes of drivers especially younger ones who dont seem to understand the dangers in speeding, drink driving etc would take much more notice than they are now. Its becoming a "culture" now the way that alot of these drivers are flaunting the laws. I have always believed its got to come down to education both in schools and at home. Does this make sense?

Sheer presence on the roads is a good thing but it has to be a two way street if you get my drift!!!

8)
The way I see it, if you get flashed by a Multanova, you just swear a lot and expect the fine to turn up in the post in a couple of weeks or so.

But if you get pulled over by a police officer, or RTA patrol officer, then you get a stern talking to, a breath test, your details checked on the Police computer and generally given a hard time.

We're up to our armpits in road safety education and changes to the laws to increase penalties and stuff. But what we're missing is good old fashioned enforcement.

In a way, it's a bit like we're on the honour system almost. We're assumed to be doing the right thing unless a roadside camera decides otherwise. I'd like to see a return to the good old days of a copper on every corner (relatively speaking) with their beady eyes on you making sure you were doing the right thing.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

wouldn't work... and heres why...

If you make an RTA you will find that most Traffic coppers would leave the Police and go with them, thus leaving less coppers to do the job.

The POLL question should be " Should we as the general public take responsibilty of our own actions on the road, rather than blame that there is not enough Police. That way the Police can get on with REAL police work. (The standard excuse you get when you pull someone over)"

anyway my thoughts....
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Zebedee wrote:But if you get pulled over by a police officer, or RTA patrol officer, then you get a stern talking to, a breath test, your details checked on the Police computer and generally given a hard time.
I don't think is right, most people who you pull over would take off and say " What a w#$*#r why doesn't he catch a real criminal"
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I kind of agree with Ludi, also something you have to look at is what powers you would give them. The RTA guys would almost need to be Police for the purpose of taking someone into custody for breath testing, what happens when they find someone in breach of bail, first instance warrants etc??

If people just slowed down on the road, as ludi said, and it would make life much easier.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

people need a motivation to slow down. its become accepted to go 10 or 15 km over the limit. now when i say motivation... i mean something as a real deterrent. I'll be the first to admit i've been done for speeding a few times. The only time i felt ANY guilt was when an officer pulled me over. The other times were speed cameras and i didnt really care.

I strictly keep to the speed limit now because; 1) I cannot go on the bad side of the law whilst finishing Police Assesments and, 2) My current employer has a strict rule about losing demerit points whilst being employed by them.

If we all had some sort of reason to slow down... i think people would. Fines and demerits can only do so much to people's mentalities. More Police presence, fixed speed cameras, higher visibility Speed Signs (especially around school zones and road works), proper education in high schools and most importantly... make getting a license harder and REGULAR testing (say every 10 years).

On that last note, I know people get into bad driving habits (driving with arm out, one hand on steering wheel, incorrect posture etc etc). When you get comfortable in your car, you get careless and haphazard. When doing my defensive driving and advanced driving courses, many of my mates failed because they couldn't shake the bad habits and were careless drivers.

Thats my 2cents *end rant* haha
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

More Police would be great, but GD jobs do take priority over traffic, if someone calls for assistance then the Traffic guys sometimes have to attend to assist GD's.

The public need to take more responsibility for their actions.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

dazla wrote:The RTA guys would almost need to be Police for the purpose of taking someone into custody for breath testing, what happens when they find someone in breach of bail, first instance warrants etc??
The RTA was last around a bit before my time so I don't know for sure, but I'd assume that RTA would have powers of arrest in those cases.
Ludacris wrote:The POLL question should be " Should we as the general public take responsibilty of our own actions on the road, rather than blame that there is not enough Police.
Agreed. The problem is that people aren't taking responsibility for their driving and many people seem to think that they can drive however they like so long as the chances of being caught remain fairly small.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR