Kelvin Road train crossing..Interesting sight!

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Chicky wrote:Cheers, CI. Expensive risk!
It's not the fine that's the issue. It's (quite frankly) stupid MORONS who drive around boom gates because they're on such a hurry they're willing to risk their lives to get to their destination a few minutes earlier.

I mean, how many horrific vehicle v train crashes do we need before people get the picture?! :smt076
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

how many more before people stop drink driving??
How many more before people stop talking on their phone??

the sad thing is, the list goes on...The REALLY sad thing is it's not going to stop!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

sorry to bring this up again... but those cameras... are they activated when the red lights start flashing? x amount of seconds after they start flashing? or once the boom gates start to move down?
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

From the looks of them they have an ultrasonic movement sensor box under the camera. To save them constantly snapping I would assume the controller gets a signal from the boom gate controller to say lights flashing, you can take a photo if the ultrasonic beam is tripped.

I am sure all the traffic light sensors and the red light camera sensors are induction loop. They could do it by weight using load cells which minimise if not eliminate mechanics but that is still more complex than you actually need.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

they are all induction (direct from someone inside MRWA)

i'm going to stand by one of these rail intersections one day ALL DAY untill i see someone get snapped... i wanna see how it works haha
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

phreak wrote:they are all induction (direct from someone inside MRWA)

i'm going to stand by one of these rail intersections one day ALL DAY untill i see someone get snapped... i wanna see how it works haha
What is the box under the camera lense then?
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

Toottoot wrote:
phreak wrote:they are all induction (direct from someone inside MRWA)

What is the box under the camera lense then?
i meant that TCL cameras are induction. i have no idea how the rail ones work. i havent seen any induction loops on the ground. Also just noticed 'RED LIGHT CAMERA' signs been erected before the boom gates.
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

The box under the camera looks like an old x-band motion detector (like the ones that used to be on automatic doors before infra-red took over). Similar in operation to the motion detectors used at TCL operated crosswalks to signal no-one is on the crosswalk anymore. I haven't been to this crossing to see the placement. Is the camera facing oncoming traffic through the boom gates (ie will it take a photo of the front of the vehicle/cyclist/pedestrian if they stayed in the correct lane - before the boom gate went down)? or is it facing a diagonal (to snap photos of people who zig-zag through the intersection when the gates are down?
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

These cameras were in the news a few days ago. Something about the opposition claiming the $400K+ cameras were not being used to prosecute anyone because they hadn't been calibrated to police standards yet ??
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

I noticed one at Welshpool rd crossing the other day also.
Q4004
Location: Waiting for frequencie info on Transport in Western Australia

Post by Q4004 »

Kelvin Road is a shocking crossing. Boomgates fail and everything there fails. I noted alst night that the pedestrian crossing lights failed and played up while the boomgates were working fine.
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Q4004 wrote:Kelvin Road is a shocking crossing. Boom gates fail and everything there fails. I noted alst night that the pedestrian crossing lights failed and played up while the boomgates were working fine.
Railways have a Fail Safe policy, the boomgates are powered by back up generators, the pedestrian gates are not essential, and thus only partially powered. So when the power goes out, the gates close, fail safe and the lights come on (essential).

So they were working correctly, as they were designed to work!
:roll:
Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

I havnt seen the generator cubicles. Where abouts are they?
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

Cameras are now active... as of 1st May cautions will be issued for one month. As of 1st June expect infringements to be issued... four demerits and around a couple hundred bucks
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

nachoman wrote:Cameras are now active... as of 1st May cautions will be issued for one month. As of 1st June expect infringements to be issued... four demerits and around a couple hundred bucks
is it for jumping the crossing during red lights? or going around the boom gates whilst they are down?