News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

[quote="JG-103"]There are only 3 things stopping me from applying

1. Pay- Cops dont get paid enough for half the shit they have to put up with

2. Justice system- The justice system is fu**ed, and it would bug the hell out of me to take down a crim, just for the justice system to give him a slap on the writst and let him back out to society

3. Respect- Cops dont get the respect that fire fighters or sja do, half the time they are getting verbally abused, spat at etc etc[/quote]

it aint that bad, sure you cop shit but unless you cant handle yourself its not that bad at all
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

JG-103 wrote:There are only 3 things stopping me from applying

2. Justice system- The justice system is fu**ed, and it would bug the hell out of me to take down a crim, just for the justice system to give him a slap on the writst and let him back out to society

3. Respect- Cops dont get the respect that fire fighters or sja do, half the time they are getting verbally abused, spat at etc etc
I read an article last year where someone had fallen off a balcony, the guys mates were harrasing and preventing SJA from doing their jobs, the firey's also rocked up and so had to become stand in body guards for the ambo's until police rocked up...Not enough people in stressfull jobs are shown the right amount of respect that they deserve. Even vollies at times.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Tyranus wrote:
JG-103 wrote:There are only 3 things stopping me from applying

3. Respect- Cops dont get the respect that fire fighters or sja do, half the time they are getting verbally abused, spat at etc etc
I read an article last year where someone had fallen off a balcony, the guys mates were harrasing and preventing SJA from doing their jobs, the firey's also rocked up and so had to become stand in body guards for the ambo's until police rocked up...Not enough people in stressfull jobs are shown the right amount of respect that they deserve. Even vollies at times.

Indeed Tyranus, I remember doing a call out in a town up north, where police had full on riots in this one street for months. It all came to a head and someone was subsequently injured. We arrived at the scene with 200+ people preventing us from getting at the patient, and throwing bottles at our van, and they wonder why we took off? Apparently we just didn't care according to spokespersons. Moral of the story is that everyone that works for Emergency services, whether it be Police, SJA or SES do not get the respect and recognition they deserve, so people ask why they should do such a job, and then not bother. I can see why WAPOL is recruiting 30 cops a month, and having 26 resign a month, for the reasons JG-103 stated.
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Just had it re-iterated (If that's how you spell it lol) to me by someone high up the chain that the beep test levels are being lowered. I will be contacting the academy tomorrow for something else but will try and confirm this :P
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

When you join the Police you don’t do it for the money, although I don’t think it is that bad, you do it because you want to do the job.

Allot of people join the job and realise it’s not for them or get fed up with the amount of endless paperwork and spineless court system and leave.

You join the Police to fight back for the people who cant fight back and to do what you can to keep a lid on the s++t, if you join the mindset that you are going to change the world then you will be disappointed.

You will end up locking up the same people, for the same offences and seeing them go through court system.......and then back out into the street.

Personally, I love it, they could pay me less and I would still do it because I enjoy the work and look forward to each shift, but that’s why I joined.

Good luck to those that are joining, hope you like it.

Personally I dont think they should change the fitness tests anymore than they have, there too many unfit people in the job already.
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

It isn't unfit people in the academy.. It's the people that get out and figure 'well im in now, so meh!' lol
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

Schism_ wrote:Just had it re-iterated (If that's how you spell it lol) to me by someone high up the chain that the beep test levels are being lowered. I will be contacting the academy tomorrow for something else but will try and confirm this :P
any news? i got my beep test in two weeks haha
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Unsure as of yet.. check your pm.
Froggles

Post by Froggles »

Considering lodgeing a secondary application - would love to know if you hear anything more of this Schism_.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

WARSUG Public Transport Moderator
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

phreak wrote:
Well done on getting to the physical. Good luck with the rest of it.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

JG-103 wrote:
phreak wrote:
Well done on getting to the physical. Good luck with the rest of it.
thanks mate!
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
daniel86

Post by daniel86 »

Certainly would take someone special to be a cop or transit cop esp to handle to constant barrage of shit. Its pretty rough being a ranger esp when handing out tickets people DO NOT like that :D but compared to being a cop or transit cop its nothing so kudos to ne1 planning to apply and best of luck and maybe one day, if i have the balls, ill do it too.
daniel86

Post by daniel86 »

phreak wrote: reason i'm joining the force? i've always wanted to make a difference in somebodys life.
Hahah you lie, u just know how good you'll look in uniform :D