Security Work

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

jmmw wrote:Finished the valiant course, wasnt to bad didnt really do much though?

80% of it was sitting in a crowded room reading one by one out loud very tedious and the assessments they give you are quite stupid, IE they give you a list 30 reasons to do something in a book then a question will ask you to list 20 of them.

Was very very boring most of the time but i really enjoyed the people there most were heaps good though there were a few characters (read: pompous know-it-alls) who got a little annoying.

So just in case anyone is reading this wanting to have a look into security work valiant is an alright trainer, nothing great though. people are nice and such but i would have liked more practical training where you got to actually do it instead of just watching the instructor do it.
I did mine with Valiant a couple of years back.

Worst week of my life. I spent most of my time trying to stay awake. The best day was advanced fire training (with fire extinguishers!) I managed to spray the entire class.

:)
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

how long ago did u do ur course i did mine feb 03 we had a extinguisher that had a mind of its own :lol:
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

When we had our "first attack fire fighting" there was 3 extinguishers between about 40 people, having used one before i didnt even bother.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

[quote="dazla"]Under what section does a person, other than a police officer, arrrest a person for an offence JMMW?[/quote]

try the new criminal investigation act
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

well there you go!

Valiant havent even updated their training to reflect this change.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

where can we get a copy of this new act
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

try state law publisher or such
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

TheDoc wrote:how long ago did u do ur course i did mine feb 03 we had a extinguisher that had a mind of its own :lol:
March 05. And yeah, "first attack fire fighting" - hardly advanced fire fighting now is it.

Needless to say I did nothing with the training other then spend a while working clubs. Soon realise how shithouse the job was and stopped.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

BLiNG wrote: March 05. And yeah, "first attack fire fighting" - hardly advanced fire fighting now is it.

Needless to say I did nothing with the training other then spend a while working clubs. Soon realise how shithouse the job was and stopped.
I take it now you're a detective? Veteren eyes spotting the difference between first attack fire fighting and advanced fire fighting :lol:

Advanced fire fighting is an actual course, first attack fire fighting was about a hours worth of sitting around.
Last edited by jmmw on Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

jmmw wrote:
BLiNG wrote: March 05. And yeah, "first attack fire fighting" - hardly advanced fire fighting now is it.

I take it now you're a detective? Veteren eyes spotting the difference between first attack fire fighting and advanced fire fighting :lol:

Advanced fire fighting is an actual course, first attack fire fighting was about a hours worth of sitting around.
Back in IT now, where I belong.

I had lots of fun in the fire fighting course. The rest of the group didn't, but I did!

8)
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Last edited by Cloverfield on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

i thought it was 564 or 546 or 456
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

I wouldn't run around doing it.. you're liable to get done for deprivation of liberty if you actually put hands on someone. 'Citizens Arrest' is fraught with dangers. Best to leave the Police work to the Police.

As an aside, people like rangers have had power of arrest through a couple of acts for a while now (depending on the offence).. most relate to failure to state name.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Although they have the powers, very few actually use them as they have no accutrements and no backup, they often patrol alone.