News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Security Work

Post by jmmw »

Hey Guy's,

Decided i needed a job and one of the things that interest me would be doing security work.

I have looked at http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?t=1546 ... y&start=15 and gathered that wilson security was a favorite.

Though at the moment i hold not certifications for security work i was looking into training with these guys and doing my cert II, III & senior first aid.

http://www.tacticaltraining.com.au/inde ... Itemid=180

At the moment im at tafe Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays during the day time and train with the SES on tuesday nights but all other times i'm pretty much just lounging about & i am able to work during nights and such.

So the point of this thread! i would like to have some opinions on the following:

With all the prior time commitments would company have use for me?

Has anyone heard about this training company? impressions?

Recommendations for companies to work with?

Whether these companys would hire someone without the experience?

Any other suggestions/ideas/rants would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Jason
HM-106

Post by HM-106 »

THIS IS SPARTA!!!
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

HM-106 wrote:THIS IS SPARTA!!!

lol!

Anyone got anything constructive to add? :?
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I have NFI. :lol:

Have you rung around for info? Don't ask, you don't get. ;)
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

well not yet this was my first port of call, test the waters i spose :)
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Good luck.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Might see one of the guys tonight from my SES unit, works in security...Signature I think, they do everything from burglar alarms, to body guard work.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Last edited by Cloverfield on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Cheers Awk@night i am planning to do my cert II & III in the coming weeks :)

Cheers for all the other info too!
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Last edited by Cloverfield on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

GDay mate,

I worked in security for 6 years before joining the Police and I had the time of my life. I recommend working in Government if you can as the pay and conditions

I have worked in Local Government Secuirty, that will coicide with your SES duties as allot of th tasks you will attend will be assisting the SES during operations or attending other incidents within your Local Government Juristiction.

I would also recommend Education Secuirty, last time I heard this was managed now by Group 4 Security but this may have changed, they do both mobile patrols and static guarding of schools right across the metro area.

Finally I would definatly recommend being a Transit Officer with the PTA, they pay well, its great fun, good bunch of people and its a secure government job........most of all though...its good fun!!

Good luck mate.

PM me if you want any advice in regards to any of the above.
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Education Secuirty, last time I heard this was managed now by Group 4 Security but this may have changed
Yes, ISS do it now. They are also looking for people at the moment both in the control room and on the road. (EdSec)
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

hey dazla :)

Yeh i have looked into working with Melville community safety and security but they don't have any openings but first thing's first i have to do the training :)

Thankyou so much for the info though!

I will definately look into those areas when once i do my certificates :)

Thanks Awk@night, Dazla, Tyranus, WPXZBP & TheDoc for your help and information, you lad's are the reason warsug is such a success.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I believe the City of Stirling has some openings at the moment, but yes you may find it more difficult to find work without the Cert 2 or 3 in Security Operations, as a side note I did mine through Valiant Security Solutions and got the Cert 3 and it was quite reasonably priced.

The good thing about EDsec is that most of their patrols are two up rather than single officer patrols and they have decent cars, not the little Accents that you see Chubb in, they also respond to alarms as well as disturbances etc at schools.

I would keep an eye on www.warangers.asn.au as they have a jobs section, they normally advertise all the WA Ranger and Local Government Security vacancies.

You could also consider becoming a local government Ranger, I have a few friends who do that around Perth and they really enjoy it.
thedonbeech

Post by thedonbeech »

It is a very interesting job. You get to see the very best and worst in people. If you have any questions give me a shout. Working for local overnment security is a good way to get into being a Ranger
Ranger