Security Work

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

" An arrestable offence is defined as an offence punishable with imprisonment, with or without any other punishment. (Section 564(1) Criminal Code) "

obviously you would have to know that the offence punishable with imprisonment, so for the average joe that means murder, sexual assault or the likes.... I guess this covers the average person acting on average understanding of the law acting in good faith...

so if a person was in a position to detain a person having met section 561(1) then you most probably would if safe to do so! but if they were not comfortable then {do what Egge would have told jmmw} I guess they could Observe, Report and Record....

Not attacking you..... Really.... Just wanted to point out that the law in this case really dose cover the average person acting in good faith!!!
Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Sent in my application to Melville Community Safety and Security on Wednesday with any luck i shall be getting an interview :)
dave
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dave »

Most security officers that work at shopping centres are part time, on about $14 - $16 per hours. but as a causal at a shopping centre you'll be on $16 - $19 per hour.
Is that all security guards get paid, that is a disgusting wage
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

jmmw wrote:Sent in my application to Melville Community Safety and Security on Wednesday with any luck i shall be getting an interview :)
Good luck jmmw!
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Last edited by Cloverfield on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dave »

Awk@night wrote:
dave wrote:
Most security officers that work at shopping centres are part time, on about $14 - $16 per hours. but as a causal at a shopping centre you'll be on $16 - $19 per hour.
Is that all security guards get paid, that is a disgusting wage
Yeah! and Yeah!

but as a mobile patrol officer you can get around $1200 to $1600 a fortnight...
do security guards get shift penalties, I think they should?
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Last edited by Cloverfield on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

City of Melville CSS

Hours of work for a full time employee will be 171.5 hours per
four week period with an annual salary of $44,805.

Casual employees will be paid on an hourly basis at $24.11 per
hour (inclusive of casual loading).
HM-106

Post by HM-106 »

Like any citizen, they have powers, and powers to arrest in certain circumstances. CI Act defines the meaning of Citizens arrest and when to use that power.

Also get to know that we have the power to sieze vehicles used in any offences, Section 146 of CI Act, especially in 146(e)(iv), and have the power to arrest people for further enquiries, even though they might not have committed an offence, but you have reasonable suspicion.

It was good that Fastlane explained that simply placing your hands on someone, like say on their shoulder, could be a sign of a Formal Arrest, and may be liable for deprivation charges if you dont have sufficient reason to arrest them. Got to be careful on what you do and understand the law to the exact degree.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

well i hope to avoid work in which its going to be necessary to arrest people.
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

jmmw wrote:City of Melville CSS

Hours of work for a full time employee will be 171.5 hours per
four week period with an annual salary of $44,805.

Casual employees will be paid on an hourly basis at $24.11 per
hour (inclusive of casual loading).
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

jmmw wrote:well i hope to avoid work in which its going to be necessary to arrest people.

lolly pop lady it is for you then. How can you say you want to work in the security business but want to avoid difficult work where you have to arrest ppl, theres a reason the security guard has been appointed there its not to look pretty in a uniform... :roll: :smt078
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Security guards job description "Observe and Report" not "be a cowboy and run around arresting people".

Unless someone is in danger im going to avoid confrontation and thus avoid getting stabbed, after all i want to come home to my family :)

The days of security guards running around arresting people are long over YOU are NOT the police you are a security guard and most of your work is deterence, you will find that most employers don't want you out getting into scuffles and arresting people as its too much of a liability.

So assuming we were to attend the same job while your lying somewhere stabbed i would be sitting in my car writing down details of whats happening and then following the POI's leading the police to them so the police can do their job.

How very naive you must be antt.
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

jmmw wrote:Security guards job description "Observe and Report" not "be a cowboy and run around arresting people".

Unless someone is in danger im going to avoid confrontation and thus avoid getting stabbed, after all i want to come home to my family :)

The days of security guards running around arresting people are long over YOU are NOT the police you are a security guard and most of your work is deterence, you will find that most employers don't want you out getting into scuffles and arresting people as its too much of a liability.
So true!!!!! Professional presence is what most clients want!
Last edited by Cloverfield on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
HM-106

Post by HM-106 »

"So assuming we were to attend the same job while your lying somewhere stabbed i would be sitting in my car writing down details of whats happening and then following the POI's leading the police to them so the police can do their job"

Sorry jimmw but that sounds totally crap to me. Not going to explain why, people should know whats wrong with that.

However, I do agree that Security Guards play an important part of the work needed out there in the community.

HM-106