Warning Lamps on Vehicles

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

auntys_eyes

Warning Lamps on Vehicles

Post by auntys_eyes »

Hey everybody, in another thread celestial_insight put up this link to a great document from the DPI.

Warning Lamps - Guide to Installation and Operation

There have been several threads discussing the relative issues of warning lamps on vehicles, including Railway/Tansit Guards, Secureforce/Security Companies etc etc. and this answers almost all of them. Have a read, it is really informative.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Interesting reading though there are some things that i definatley didnt know.

Seems in one section it states "you need written authorisation" for fitting lamps if your doing P1 or P2 work and then later on in another section states "You do not need approval to fit lamps" but P1 or P2 drivers must have attended a suitable course.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Markmywords wrote:Interesting reading though there are some things that i definatley didnt know.

Seems in one section it states "you need written authorisation" for fitting lamps if your doing P1 or P2 work and then later on in another section states "You do not need approval to fit lamps" but P1 or P2 drivers must have attended a suitable course.
Says you dont need approval if your vehicle is permitted to have such a light as per the Road Traffic Code 2000.

As for the suitable course.. *no comment*
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Last edited by jmmw on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

jmmw wrote:Does anyone know whether the yellow light thing is new?

I never knew that it was illegal to use them without authorisation as i always stop at mva's and often direct traffic around them and organise police and/or tow truck attendance. so often in fact that i have both on speed dial haha not that my driving cause's accidents :D

but i always considered adding a yellow light to my "mva" backpack that sits in the boot.

does anyone else stop at accidents? and if so do they have any sort of equipment they carry around just in case?

In my bag i have 3 x Hi-Vis vest's 2 mag lites a small fire extinguisher and a red turbo flare.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f61/jmmw/IMGP0130.jpg

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f61/j ... GP0138.flv
I always stop at mva's and render assistance - as long as its okay with both occupants of the vehicle, other wise some say, "we are okay don't need help" - But i've been to a far few in my time, I only use my trusty Emergency Indicator lights - that comes standard to my car - I have a Personal First aid kit - a fire extinguisher and a - All yellow hi-vis vest with that reflective tape on it.

I don't think i'd ever consider a yellow light system to mount on the dash or on the roof - I don't think its necessary - I think hazards are enough...
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Last edited by jmmw on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Well, be careful. I got hit with a $100 infringement from 2 coppers (**** and ****) from Midland Traffic for having a magnetic amber light on my vehicle (not turned on). Apart from their incredibly aggressive and unnecessary attitude toward me, they had no real reason for giving me the infringement except that they said it was unauthorised. Now I no longer stop at MVAs or stop behind broken down vehicles in an effort to warn other vehicles of a hazard ahead. 2 bad coppers ruining it for all.
Truckie, if you felt you had justified reasons for having the magnetic amber light, did you take it to the matter to court and argue your case?

Ludy/Danny, is it illegal to have those coloured neon lights underneath your car? I saw a stretched limo Territory last weekend with a set of blue ones fitted. I also see plently of ricer-burners getting about Northbridge with them glowing also.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Tom wrote:Ludy/Danny, is it illegal to have those coloured neon lights underneath your car? I saw a stretched limo Territory last weekend with a set of blue ones fitted. I also see plently of ricer-burners getting about Northbridge with them glowing also.
I was under the impression that if they are on while the vehicle is in motion it was illegal. I'd be pleased to hear if that's right or not.

In my books naming serving officers here is as bad as publishing their faces.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

i am sure that i will be corrected if i am wrong but am sure that you can have the lights under the car as long as you cant see the light itself from outside the car. Only the glow being visible.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

bomber wrote:i am sure that i will be corrected if i am wrong but am sure that you can have the lights under the car as long as you cant see the light itself from outside the car. Only the glow being visible.
I also heard that.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

i also heard certain places or individuals could get a permit to have them on the vehicle do correct me if im wrong
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

why would members of the public put themselfs at massive risk and play emergency worker, the fact is you have no power what so ever to direct traffic and to display lights, and people have not legallity to follow what you do, its hard enough for coppers to do points other than not trained members of the public, if your injured you have nothing to cover you, it just sounds dangerous, there is nothing wrong with helping out in emergencies until the services can get there but putting flashing lights on your car and doing risky activiities just sounds damb dangerous to me...
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Last edited by jmmw on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Classic example here - and Im not barricking for having lights -

I was on my way home from a duty with VFAS.... - i came across a vehicle with 2 people slumped over the wheel, Ofcourse i stopped to render assistance.... I called SJA and WAPOL - as i didnt know what i was dealing with.

It turned out to be - both occupants were heavily intoxicated, and mounted the curb.... - I think JB-107 (Van) came to help first up then SJA - but while i was waiting, the driver got out and collapsed.... I was wearing a Hi Vis Vest - and trying to wake the driver up - This is on Great eastern Hwy - No one stopped to slow traffic down till Police arrived.... I couldnt leave the driver on the side of the road, cars flew right past me without a care in the world - I did have my emergency lights on (Hazzards) - but still didnt slow people down..... - I dont think there is a need for strobes, just people need to learn to slow down when they see a car with its Emergency lights on - Im not saying they should stop or slow down and rubber-neck - but at least to slow down.... Surely they saw me crouched close to the driver.... surely they could have slowed down....

AG-203 - rocked up as well - and the driver almost got cleaned up - they had their lights activated.... So it really doesnt matter - about having Emergency lights - Its up to the individual drivers, to slow down on instances like this....
Robo
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Robo »

It used to be a common rule with neon lights that if you can see the light source then it is illegal. But now it is up to an officers discretion. If they cant see the actual globe but believe the light could be a distraction to any other road user then they can give it a yellow sticker. I know of a certain traffic sergeant that will sticker any car he sees with the neon lights.

Alot of the limo's neons are too bright but they are left alone for some reason. I guess because they dont always have them on.

Also if everyone had flashing lights on their cars do you think people would pay any attention to them? I doubt it...
Last edited by Robo on Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.