Fixed speed cameras on freeways

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

madmikey

Fixed speed cameras on freeways

Post by madmikey »

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 61,00.html

Just another revenue raising idea...

Not having a go at the cops, they do great things, but you will never be able to stop the road toll, there are just to many drivers/vehicles and roads compared to police resources.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

I dont have a problem with speed cameras making money. If I owned a speed camera and got paid every time I caught somebody speeding with it - the fun I would have :roll:
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

well there is that, i'd be on a permanent holiday, and have enogh left over to pay someone to run the camera for me!!!
orac68

Post by orac68 »

Forget FIXED cameras. Make the multanova's 24HRS and then outside of the current operational hours get them placed at random on the freeways and major highways. Otherwise people will just speed between the cameras :(
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Yay! Finally something to catch all the wankers who do 120-130km/h down the freeway like it's normal and acceptable.

The amount of people who tailgate me in the left lane when i'm sitting on 102-103km/hr is absolutely amazing.

People should have more respect for the law, and i'm all for these cameras. Bring it on.

Just another voluntary tax, if you don't speed, you don't pay it.

Someone has to line the governments pockets, so why not the idiots who have no respect for the law?
dave
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dave »

for those of you who whinge about multinova's bing a revenue raiser, I am trying to work out wht you care.

It is this simple, don't speed-you won't get caught. Not a hard concept to work out, also if revenue was not gained that way then I wander whether I would be paying more tax, governments got to get money from somewhere-why not from people who choose to disregard the law.
Robo
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Robo »

dave wrote:for those of you who whinge about multinova's bing a revenue raiser, I am trying to work out wht you care.

It is this simple, don't speed-you won't get caught. Not a hard concept to work out, also if revenue was not gained that way then I wander whether I would be paying more tax, governments got to get money from somewhere-why not from people who choose to disregard the law.
Well said!

Once heard a seasoned coppa say. "its not revenue, if it was revenue then everyone would have to pay, therefor consider it more of a donation, thank you for your donation".

Danny knows who!!
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w0mbat
Scanners and Receivers: AOR 8200 MKIII

Electronic cameras

Post by w0mbat »

I like the Digital system that gets used. Cameras are mounted under each overpass on the freeway and read the rego plates in real time and stores it. Then the next camera along reads the plate.
The distance between the two cameras is a set distance, so if you cover the distance between the 2 cameras before a certain time you get a letter in the mail with your nominated donation amount :) The quicker you go between each camera the more you donate.

sweeet!

--w0mbat
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

GC101 wrote:i would like too see digital speeds sign atleast in the inner city so around road works, or say a traffic accident they can slow the traffic down, say your a copper doing a crash on the freeway, its pretty dangerous having cars flying past at 100, if the signs before can slow the traffic down to 80 or 60 safety would rise and they could also raise speed limits at night when road works are over.....
I drive about 50k Kms a year. Roadworks don't really bother me. You slow down, all is good.

What really ticks me off though is 'abandoned' roadworks signs. Either at night after they've left the workers have left all the speed restriction signs up, or worse, after the job is done, they still have "REDUCE SPEED" signs further up the road that they've forgotten about. :evil:
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

GC101 wrote:if the signs before can slow the traffic down to 80 or 60 safety would rise and they could also raise speed limits at night when road works are over.....
I don't see how this can help, because people blatantly and arrogantly ignore the roadworks signs that are around at the moment..

Have you driven on the Kwinana Fwy lately?

Try doing 60 through the part that says 60, through all the witches hats. I bet you'll get tailgated and a heap of pissed off people behind you. They hate it.

If there's nobody doing the speed limit in front of them, then they always just go as fast as they can.

Feel sorry for the guys building the train lines, by now, there would have been some serious "near misses" down there i'd say.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

I know how you feel Gavin.

I went through some roadworks signs a few weeks ago, they had slowed the traffic down to 60km/hr near Reid highway heading north on the Mitchell, and there were no "100" signs down the road a bit further...

This happens quite regularly as i'm sure you are aware :)
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

GC101 wrote:i would like too see digital speeds sign atleast in the inner city so around road works, or say a traffic accident they can slow the traffic down, say your a copper doing a crash on the freeway, its pretty dangerous having cars flying past at 100, if the signs before can slow the traffic down to 80 or 60 safety would rise and they could also raise speed limits at night when road works are over..... i ofter feel perth is pretty far behind with road technology, and safety, we always lag behind, its about time the govt spend some of their money and try new things and try to lead the way not just watch what other states do!

i actually really like this idea, it wouldnt just be a sign with numbers on it, during a crash it would be a flashing sign with perhaps flashing red and blue lights on the screen, then people would see it an get the sense of urgency that something is wrong, perhaps those speed signs which state the speed could be converted to this then it would also accompany a msg ie "accident ahead lanes blocked" i think that would be very effective in slowing down motorists