Illegal use of scanners - todays situation

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

madmikey wrote:
jmmw wrote:haha so many goody goodys in here, use to be cute but now these goody goodys are becoming very erm vigilante like.
Couldn't agree more, thats what stops me from contributing more to this forum...
EDITED BY AN ADMIN: If you have an issue with a post, please send a private message or email to a moderator or admin.
KAB

Re: Illegal use of scanners - todays situation

Post by KAB »

Brett wrote:Hey all, it's probably something that has come up all to often but I was kind of surprised when I offered some assistance to VR101 Portable today. Apparently they found a vehicle at one of the beaches either Rockingham or Port Kennedy area that was half in the water, half in the sand. The Ranger was uncontactable (surprise, surprise) and there was no chance that a tow truck could get next to the buried car.

So I rang VKI and offered assistance and just said "I heard it on the scanner"
I was told by the operator that it's illegal to listen / own a scanner and chances are I'll get booked for it.

So in the end I thought bugger it, your on your own.

Any feedback / comments on this?
When i got my scanner on the user manual it said it is not illegal to listen u are just not aloud to cause interferance or pass what was said on to a third party that is not involved.

Cheers
KAB
"Bakers51" BFS
"Kingfisher"on UHF
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

way to go to bring up a 3 year old topic.

I still think the guy is a fool for ringing up vki like some sort of vigilante wannabe cop. Wasting their time by answering his calls. I would have him charged with hindrance but just my opinion. I am sure there is quite a few wannabe / ambulance/police/fire chasers here.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

woobla1 wrote:I am sure there is quite a few wannabe / ambulance/police/fire chasers here.
Me to ... :roll:
yorky

Post by yorky »

What if there was a look out for, for a car with full rego that just murdered a few people, you see said car after hearing it from VKI, you call police and say you heard the look out for and have the vehicle in sight.

You think the pac centre will tell you to ef off you wanna be cop and hang up? As many police have said in the past, the general public can be a HUGE help.

EDIT: Although I do agree some of the call center people are a little arrogant, I once heard a look out for about a car driving so dangerous that he was endangering ped's. This car then happened to go sideways around a corner in front of me without looking... Got on the horn to police to inform them the same car is still almost taking out other vehicles and ignoring curbs (read: airborne) and is now gassing up at BP. As soon as I said its the same vehicle from another job around the corner she pretty much told me to shut up and and she'll handle it thank you. Didn't even want my phone number or any other details. Needless to say the officer attending (which happened to already be driving in) went after the wrong car.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

[quote="yorky"]

You think the pac centre will tell you to ef off you wanna be cop and hang up? As many police have said in the past, the general public can be a HUGE help.

. As soon as I said its the same vehicle from another job around the corner she pretty much told me to shut up and and she'll handle it thank you. Didn't even want my phone number or any other details. Needless to say the officer attending (which happened to already be driving in) went after the wrong car.[/quot

Oh crap.
i believe when you actualy call the 131 number it not a police officer but fif u dial 000 you will be connected to police officer and he can give P2 to any cars that whatever job it is.
if it isnt that life threating he just put u to 131*** number.
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yes I know the 131 center are civvies though I don't think 000 are officers either. And its up to the VKI op and rad sup to read and auth whatever it needs, the phone operator is just there to write the job up.
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

I agree with what you are saying about if you see something dangerous, life threatening and if you can be a help sure go do it.

but when someone calls up vki directly?? to help them pull a car out of the river or something, obviously non emergency then well it smells of interference to me .. what is your opinion?
yorky

Post by yorky »

But what do you mean by call VKI directly? What, there internal extension?

Personally I think it should be fine. You want to help, its not like you want to tag along on an arrest warrant...
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

[quote="yorky"]But what do you mean by call VKI directly? What, there internal extension? quote]
yeah that is but not for members of the public, sure which we already know the number 131 blah blah blah.
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here