Illegal use of scanners - todays situation

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Brett

Illegal use of scanners - todays situation

Post by Brett »

Hey all, it's probably something that has come up all to often but I was kind of surprised when I offered some assistance to VR101 Portable today. Apparently they found a vehicle at one of the beaches either Rockingham or Port Kennedy area that was half in the water, half in the sand. The Ranger was uncontactable (surprise, surprise) and there was no chance that a tow truck could get next to the buried car.

So I rang VKI and offered assistance and just said "I heard it on the scanner"
I was told by the operator that it's illegal to listen / own a scanner and chances are I'll get booked for it.

So in the end I thought bugger it, your on your own.

Any feedback / comments on this?
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

I think you're crazy ringing up. In reality, whats going on out there is pretty much none of your business - which is no doubt why you were politely told to sod off!

as far as the legality though, if they were illegal, you wouldnt be able to buy them.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Illegal use of scanners - todays situation

Post by Zebedee »

Brett wrote:I was told by the operator that it's illegal to listen / own a scanner and chances are I'll get booked for it.
To the best of my knowledge, and based on the fact that I'm NOT a lawyer, my understanding of the Radiocommunications Act makes it perfectly legal to listen to anything that's not a telephone call.

However the usual disclaimer applies - if you want a "real" answer, ask a lawyer :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Brett wrote: I was told by the operator that it's illegal to listen / own a scanner and chances are I'll get booked for it.
Nonsense.

If you listen to something on a scanner and decide to go visit and get in the way, expect to be charged with the usual hindering police or similar however there's absolutely nothing in the federal Radiocommunications Act* which makes monitoring illegal.

I'm not a lawyer but I've read the act a number of times and there's just nothing in there that covers it. Illegal transmitters, sure, but nothing about receivers.

* - Except phone calls which are covered under the federal Telecommunications Act.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

You can be charged with hindering/obstructing police...

If you act on any information or pass on any information heard (this he said is a grey area) on the scanner you can be charged with the above for starters...as told to me by a member.

Charges can vary depending on the situation...
orac68

Post by orac68 »

vk6hgr wrote:
Brett wrote: I was told by the operator that it's illegal to listen / own a scanner and chances are I'll get booked for it.
Nonsense.

If you listen to something on a scanner and decide to go visit and get in the way, expect to be charged with the usual hindering police or similar however there's absolutely nothing in the federal Radiocommunications Act* which makes monitoring illegal.

I'm not a lawyer but I've read the act a number of times and there's just nothing in there that covers it. Illegal transmitters, sure, but nothing about receivers.

* - Except phone calls which are covered under the federal Telecommunications Act.
Thats right Gavin. No problems listening but just dont ACT on the information you hear.
Brett

Post by Brett »

Cheers from those with sensable replies. I have my own reasons why I called up and for that reason, I didn't go into it. Therefore I wasn't asking for people to tell me how much of a bone head I was to ring up.

Thanks anyways.

For those that made a reply with some decent content and thought, thanks for that, I'll make sure the operator knows that next time I call them again.

Unfortunatly there are a few people that I have less respect for. I'd appreciate it that if you think you have an opinion of me then tell me to my face but don't air it in public while you sit in the safety of your home behind your computer.

Cheers for your ears guys.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

You probably just got a pissed off operator...
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

Turbo wrote:You probably just got a pissed off operator...
Who was a civilian and doesn't know what they are talking about!
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

haha so many goody goodys in here, use to be cute but now these goody goodys are becoming very erm vigilante like.

everyone needs to relax more here and not take everything to heart, i mean honestly he probably shouldnt have rung up but for him to take it upon himself to volunteer his own time to help is a top thing to do! Maybe next time just rock up at the location and offer help considering the situation didnt have any active police work ie searching/chasing/questioning but simply sitting waiting for the ranger to make himself available or the tide to go out i think they would be grateful for you to offer assistance, i would much rather have vr101 out and about then sitting watching the waves.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I've had to delete some posts in this thread that were off-topic.

Please keep discussions on-topic folks, as the old saying goes, a gentleman can disagree without being disagreeable :-)
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Nice comment Brett. I agree totally, anybody can act all mucho when they aren't face to face with you. I agree jmmw.
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

jmmw wrote:haha so many goody goodys in here, use to be cute but now these goody goodys are becoming very erm vigilante like.
Couldn't agree more, thats what stops me from contributing more to this forum...

But I have heard a few times while listeing to my scanner that VKI have given job details and stated that someone was listening to there scanner and observed this or that and a few times it resulted in capturing POIs and offenders...
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Last edited by gkoutlis on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.