Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

New Emergency WA website

Post by vk6hgr »

https://www.emergency.wa.gov.au/#

Welcome to Emergency WA.

We've created this site so you can find emergency information easier than ever before.

The site has a map-based display with the best available emergency information from across the State.

Here you can find information about fires, floods, storms, earthquakes, tsunamis, hazardous material incidents and traffic crashes.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: New Emergency WA website

Post by Zebedee »

vk6hgr wrote:https://www.emergency.wa.gov.au/#

Welcome to Emergency WA.

We've created this site so you can find emergency information easier than ever before.

The site has a map-based display with the best available emergency information from across the State.

Here you can find information about fires, floods, storms, earthquakes, tsunamis, hazardous material incidents and traffic crashes.
Overall the site's not bad on a website or a tablet but from what I've seen on a phone it could do with a couple of tweaks. There's a heap of space taken up at the top of a phone's screen with the "Are You Bushfire Ready" notification and the menu bar. It would be nice if that could be made smaller or an option to hide it.

What I do like about it is that it's designed to be a one stop shop for incidents. Until now if there was a fire for example, you had to look at the DFES alerts page and if you didn't find anything there, go to the DPaW page and so on. This integrates all the alerts into one place and even includes things like local government controlled burns and so on.

Interestingly, I was asked to be part of a research / discussion group almost exactly 12 months ago now when this website was in development. They apparently ran a few of these groups with different classes of people from emergency service workers (paid and volunteer), members of the public, etc. The questions were all mainly around the "look and feel" of the website, everything from colour choices to placement of screen elements and so on. It was a year ago now so some of the details are a bit fuzzy but I do recognise some of the elements that were up for discussion :)

There's already call on social media for an app to complement the website. Who knows if that'll come to fruition but in the meantime I think this website is a big step forward.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
yorky

Post by yorky »

It would also be nice to filter burns with other incidents. I'm scrolling through 70 burns from whoop whoop to middle of nowhere just to see what's around, in list form.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
yorky

Post by yorky »

When I click on DFES twitter posts for example a smoke alert, it just goes to the emergency website and shows me WA. Jee thanks for that I guess I'll find it myself.

Also tonight’s structure fire was first shown as an alarm (which it might have been at the start) but then it disappeared off the the map and hasn't come back after being declared 5th alarm. Which is the sort of thing this site should be for right? Major incidents? Not sure if its been hidden on purpose or the classification change from DBA to structure fire made it go :|
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

I was on there last night and again this afternoon and it doesn't seem to be currently updating. Flood warning is there, but no DFES jobs.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Works at the moment showing 94 incidents WA wide.