locktronic question

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

locktronic question

Post by hold3n »

what agencies use Loctronic? reason for asking a few days ago i heard a vehicle with the sirens go up albany highway (mount nasura) near the armadale pub. My immediate suggestion was Bedfordale BFS, which later got pm from W_F it was unlikely.

would anyone know what it might be?

Edited on grounds of W_Fs reply
Last edited by hold3n on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.
VKI_Urgent

Re: locktronic question

Post by VKI_Urgent »

Hey mate,
I know it's bit of a late reply, but I see you still haven't had a response.

For the most part, the only WA service to use LTS Locktronic Systems sirens was WAPol, however there was a few odd exceptions here and there; such as Victorian built fire appliances.

WAPol primarily used LTS from 1978 - 1999, with those dates being the so called 'prime LTS days'. By the year 1999 Sirenco units were preferred over LTS, as Sirenco offered a Perth-made alternative. Due to the amplifier design of LTS and how they were installed, they also posed the risk of radio interference on the +12v power line, which also was a reason for going with Sirenco.

There would have still been a decent amount of LTS being used around 2002/3 ish. however they were a seldom occurrence to be seen in public by then, being used for niche applications. By 2005/6 the use of LTS was basically axed completely.

Most of Sirenco's WAPol spec sirens had a Yelp very similar to LTS's yelp, and a similar (ish), wail. Until about 2008, a lot of the non-WAPol spec Sirenco units still had the WAPol style tones such as DFES or Western Power. The later Sirenco units then gave non-WAPol units a different wail/yelp.

I think the siren you heard in this instance would have certainly been an older Sirenco which used WAPol style wail/yelp.

Cheers