Slightly Off Topic - How to avoid being arrested

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

vortex

Slightly Off Topic - How to avoid being arrested

Post by vortex »

Hey guys I know this is slightly off topic but I thought i'd run this past you for a bit of feedback.

I watched this vid today http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1350501823 and wondered how much of it is applicable to us here in Australia.

I know we don't have constitutional rights (as such) like they do in the US, and i'm certainly not a civil liberties freak. Combined with that I totally admire the police and the job they do with the resources and pay they get (so please don't read this as an anti-police post).

I guess what i'm interested to know is (from any of the police on the board) is how does right of consent work here in Australia (in regards to some of the points raised in the vid). For example is it illegal for me to refuse to give consent for the police to search my car or search me.

As I mentioned before, please don't see this as a civil rights rant, or a police beat-up. I know we live in Australia and I know we don't have the same laws (thankfully) as they do in the US. So all of what i've just asked may be totally inapplicable to us here in Australia. I don't consider myself ignorant - on the contrary I like to be as informed as possible - I'm just interested in official POV on the laws/rules of consent from people in the know.
motown

Post by motown »

Interesting video. Thank god we don't live in the states.

I remember going through a booze bus about six months ago and the cop was really rude and aggressive. I usually like seeing the new coppers out there on the beat, but this guy was a typical young smart arse.

BUt full respect to the people out there in the Police.
blade

Post by blade »

i can see that eventually the young guys that were "picked" on by police will eventually become lawyers etc in the community they will instigate changes and remember when they were hard done by and introduce committees and such that will end up going the american way and police will have to be more accountable for their actions.

i have been pulled over before and threatened by the officer with being locked up and i was thrown to the ground for no reason than the testosterone of the officer.

even the blue line on here will admit that there are those in the uniform that should not be wearing it......that being said it is the same for any type of organisation that has a controlling power over others.
Robo
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Robo »

blade wrote:i can see that eventually the young guys that were "picked" on by police will eventually become lawyers etc in the community they will instigate changes and remember when they were hard done by and introduce committees and such that will end up going the american way and police will have to be more accountable for their actions.

i have been pulled over before and threatened by the officer with being locked up and i was thrown to the ground for no reason than the testosterone of the officer.

even the blue line on here will admit that there are those in the uniform that should not be wearing it......that being said it is the same for any type of organisation that has a controlling power over others.
The uniform does go to some peoples head, true, but have never heard or seen a cop throw someone to the ground or threaten to arrest them for absolutely no reason. It may have happened but it's hard to believe.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

blade wrote:i have been pulled over before and threatened by the officer with being locked up and i was thrown to the ground for no reason than the testosterone of the officer.
Did you do anything about this..
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

blade wrote:even the blue line on here will admit that there are those in the uniform that should not be wearing it.
Absolutely....they are called corridor crawlers or "cake eaters". Would rather work on promotion than stand up to an angry man. :twisted:

But back on post, we RE-ACT to how you ACT.

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008