More idots AND they have the nerve to ask how to get out....

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

JG 103 and Brad Michau from reading both of your post you have both admitted to doing the same thing you are critisizing the police for speeding the reason they were speeding is because they are doing there jobs and and a good job at that. While the reason both of you were speeding in my eys being nosey. JG-103 instead of following the speedng car why not report it to the police? That is part of there job to book speeding moterist another part of there job is sometimes speed to get to some dangourous situation. Before you critisie the police both of you should look at your actions as well because instead of having one speeding vehicle we had two speeding vehicles and only one ogf them had a perfectly legitimate reason.
hitman

Post by hitman »

just.nosey wrote:Hitman I find myself in total disagreement with your opinion which of course you are entitled to, and I totally respect.

I do agree that both the STI and the WRX handle better than most cars on the road (having driven both) in fact I would suggest they are probably in the top 5 of the cars on the road in Australia... but keep reading .

However how many times have you heard a pursuit head to The Tonkin, The Roe, even The Reid as well as the Fwys where the Police Vehicle has been unable to get even close.

There is still a Boss Pursuit Ute that was stolen about 6 weeks ago still floating around out there which has been seen from time to time and the Police have nothing that can get even close to it.

There are issues using Vehicles such as the WRX and the STI in much the same way as there was when the Police went to Cordia Turbos back in the mid 80's with the Turbo.

I don't understand the finer points of the issue basically the turbo was blowing up when the motor was switched off after the motor had been worked hard if the turbo wasn't allowed to cool or slow down or something like that and it's still an issue with the current models of the STI and WRX.

I have 2 friends who own one of each and both of them have fitted Turbo Timers to their cars however it should be noted that Turbo Timers are still illegal in this state.

It's interesting to note that in NSW the inner metro pursuit cars are all 6 cyl's and the highway cars are V8's so there maybe some merit to your thoughts.
Again, thanks for your post. I enjoyed reading it.

I still have to ask the question and I guess I was very vague in my Nullabor example. How "often" do we see pursuits stretched over a straight distance, where a pursuit goes for longer then 10 minutes in a straight line? If the Police cannot keep up with an offender a V8 vehicle isn't going to make much of a difference over a small straight. A V8 needs a certain distance to actually use the top end power... by the time it hits its power point the offender is already gone, or has gone back into a suburban area where a V8 will be hopeless compared to a super charged V6.

If it were upto me, and I was charged with decking out the Police fleet with a selection of vehicles I would first take into consideration where the majority of pursuits occur. I do not have statistical proof but I would probably be correct in saying that 90% of pursuits start in suburban streets. The only time a pursuit "goes" to the freeway is if the offender is given a chance to get that far. Bringing in a number of V8's to handle that other 10% isn't really efficient is it?

Any pursuit that involved a bend or tight turn is going to be best handled in a STi or Evo. Then a 6. Then an 8.

I fail to see how bringing V8 vehicles (unless they are specific long range pursuit vehicles) into the WA Police service is going to be economical or efficient.

Just for clarification of the others users reading the posts between just.nosey and I - I am not trying to start a flame war.

Cheers.
Kinetic
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kinetic »

JG-103 wrote:(and a 328 is not a good reason).
It isn't, isn't it?

If you dad started beating up on your mother, when you call the police, be sure to ask that they not go over the speed limit at any time.

It will mean they take a few more minutes to get there, but hey, whats a few more bruises, and maybe an extra broken bone, at least they didn't speed.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Kinetic wrote:
JG-103 wrote:(and a 328 is not a good reason).
It isn't, isn't it?

If you dad started beating up on your mother, when you call the police, be sure to ask that they not go over the speed limit at any time.

It will mean they take a few more minutes to get there, but hey, whats a few more bruises, and maybe an extra broken bone, at least they didn't speed.
That's why they have the job code 228.. I'm with JG-103 on this one (for once)
just.nosey

Post by just.nosey »

I have already stated my opinion and really I have nothing else to add. I believe there is a place for the V8 and it's not practical to have them parked up waiting for a fwy or hwy chase.

The police can not allow the message steal a V8 and we won't do much about cos we can't and have to address the situation.

Some V8's these days cost upwards of 60k imagine being the owner of one that has been stolen such as the Pursuit ute for 6 weeks only to be told we've seen it but we can't catch it.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

just.nosey wrote: There are issues using Vehicles such as the WRX and the STI in much the same way as there was when the Police went to Cordia Turbos back in the mid 80's with the Turbo.

I don't understand the finer points of the issue basically the turbo was blowing up when the motor was switched off after the motor had been worked hard if the turbo wasn't allowed to cool or slow down or something like that and it's still an issue with the current models of the STI and WRX.

I have 2 friends who own one of each and both of them have fitted Turbo Timers to their cars however it should be noted that Turbo Timers are still illegal in this state.
Well both your friends and you obviously have no idea about how a turbo works!.

In the old days turbos were essentially Oil cooled. The engine oil would run through the turbo for lubrication and cooling, eg: The oil is cooled in the sump then flows back through the tubo and so on.

People used to shut their engines off after driving them hard. The the flow on effect from this was that the engine would then stop pumping oil and the flow would stop leaving dead oil in the turbo. This oil would then of course heat up due to the heat of the turbo and become hard. Which in turn would block the turbo oil lines and the turbo would seize as it had no lubrication. Of course this was why the turbo timer was employed to keep the car running.

These days turbos are water cooled. Direct cooling from your engine cooling system. These run directly in relation to the oil passage though the turbo. Thus keeping the turbo alot cooler.

You can still drive a turbo under a huge amount of load and get it hot (hell i can get mine glowing.) but about 1 minute of driving sensibily will see it back to std operating temp again. Yes I know what your thinking "wouldnt the oil still stop dead!) The answer is yes. However we have alot better quality oils these days and the oil is that much cooler from the addition of water cooling that the damage is negligable. Over time the same damages may be caused but it most certianly would not happen in the operational life of a police vehicle.

The main reasons turbos die these days is because people either use shit oil or dont service their cars enough.

Ask just about any major automotive turbo rebuilder and they will tell you turbo timers on modern vehicles are bollocks.
Last edited by Fozzy on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

Yes they do have a 228 but who determines the difference between a 328 or 228. Sometimes the police attending these incidents know more of a background on the offenders then what VKI does. All VKI would have to go on them is what has been put in on the computer if the victem does not lay charges nothing would show up on vki screens. The police who attend theses incident on a regular bases would then have more idea of the severity of some of the situations.I think it was last week I heard an incdient on the scanner where the police was called to a 328 in Mirrabooka the officer asked if he could be upgraded to a priority2 as they have attended the address on a regular basis and they knew of the offender and how dangerous he could be. Vki responded with a no. In situations like that I feel the police knew more then vki an I would guess the officer in question would have sped to get there. In a situation like that what are the police suppose to do go the speed limint and possibly find the victem dead? Or go slighly over the speed limit and be able to stop some1 from potentlailly loosing there life? I am sure sometime in the past the police would have been called to a 328 and when they have arrived the have found a body instead if only they had travelled a bit faster they could have saved a life.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

When it comes to the crunch, as with all of emergency services, the chain of command prevails.. so you dont get people abusing the powers or privileges given to them. When something like this gets left 'open ended', then it is prone to abuse. Not pointing any fingers at anyone however, to do such things is human nature..

If what you say is how it should be all the time, why do they bother having different priority levels in the police regulations at all???

And I'm sure notes can be put on an address or similar to indicate that future calls need to be dealt with in an urgent manner - I've certainly heard cars indicate to VKI that this should be the case.. so theres always a way to keep everyone aware, even if there arent any charges etc laid..
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Could some remind me here ?

Is the a forum for SCANNING????
Or a forum where you can all rip to shreds the police and other emergency services who risk there lives everyday to help others?

I seem to have forgot ?
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

Millsy wrote:Could some remind me here ?

Or a forum where you can all rip to shreds the police and other emergency services who risk there lives everyday to help others?

I seem to have forgot ?
It's an open forum.. if you dont like it, you dont have to read it, do you??

And I dont see any shred-ripping.. only healthy debate.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

I seem to have forgot ?
Point taken Millsy I think everything that needs to be said has been said. Although my belief is these forums are mainly about scanning I feel sometimes others topics and abit of debating can be brought up and out the end of it everyone respects everyone esles views. We will not allways agree on certain topics and I think thses forums give us all an oppurtunity to express our views and opinions to each other weather it being about scanning or sometimes other topics.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

yeh mate,

i agree that sum topics will be discussed. But i liked the forums when george and co, posted about the daily events so those who missed it had the downlow when they got home, And when there wasn't any of this bullsh*t about there responce times and d*ckheads speeding and bragging about it to the forums. Seems to me these forums are starting to turn into every other forum and the lil community spirt that was is dying ...

Just my 2 cent worth. I got it off my chest now ... :wink:
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Fastlane wrote:

I seem to have forgot ?
It's an open forum.. if you dont like it, you dont have to read it, do you??

Yes its an open forum about scanning..... How do we know people are going to bag cops in a thread about some idiot speeding.... I have an idea.....
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Fastlane wrote:It's an open forum.. if you dont like it, you dont have to read it, do you??

Thats weird ... i thought it was called WA Radio Scanners Users Group ?

God, i must be losing it .. thinking this was a scanning forum :?