Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Where theres a will theres a way! :wink:
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

hey gavin, just a thought, you could try for a .info domain, they are like $5 and somewhat reflect what the site is about... and there are no requirements for a .info domain name.
hitman

Post by hitman »

There are no requirement for an .org domain either.

I think warsug.org suits the site... warsug.info is even sexier.

I am still willing to donate the domain, I just need an agreement from Gavin on what to register.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

I am willing to host the site free of charge, although it's not professional hosting, it's half way there :)

We have a brand new 1RU Dell Dual XEON 2.4ghz server with 1gb of ram and an 80gb hdd, with a UPS for power failover, and an Amcom 8/1 connection (plenty of upstream for hosting the site)

The only problem is, it's a Windows 2003 server based machine, so no *nix hosting, which i'm pretty sure these forums would run on.

I haven't bothered to google to see if you can get phpbb running on Windows, although one would think this is possible.

The server basically just acts as a Domain controller, DNS server, SQL server, MS Exchange for email, hosts about 6-7 other commercial websites (which get very few hits).

I think the main problem that vk6hgr is having is the fact that his connection only has 256k upstream, which as you can understand with the amount of hits this site gets, very quickly chews up his outgoing traffic. It's pretty painful to have your upstream saturated, trust me :)

However i'm willing to donate the DNS delegation of the domain, host the domain and the assocated website free of charge.

Comments would be appreciated :)
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Bonez wrote: The only problem is, it's a Windows 2003 server based machine, so no *nix hosting, which i'm pretty sure these forums would run on.
Hi Bonez.

Thanks for the offer. I might ask you to help with some DNS hosting in a bit :-)

The site runs on two servers. Voyager which is a P-III 600 with 768Mb of RAM and amongst many other things does the website (apache2) and Starbase which is a PII 450 with 384Mb of RAM which does the MySQL DB. Both run Debian Linux.

I'm hanging out for ADSL2. Once I get a 1Mbit uplink (Since I'm less than 2Km from my exchange) bandwidth won't be a hassle :lol:
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
hitman

Post by hitman »

Bonez wrote:I am willing to host the site free of charge, although it's not professional hosting, it's half way there :)

We have a brand new 1RU Dell Dual XEON 2.4ghz server with 1gb of ram and an 80gb hdd, with a UPS for power failover, and an Amcom 8/1 connection (plenty of upstream for hosting the site)

The only problem is, it's a Windows 2003 server based machine, so no *nix hosting, which i'm pretty sure these forums would run on.

I haven't bothered to google to see if you can get phpbb running on Windows, although one would think this is possible.

The server basically just acts as a Domain controller, DNS server, SQL server, MS Exchange for email, hosts about 6-7 other commercial websites (which get very few hits).

I think the main problem that vk6hgr is having is the fact that his connection only has 256k upstream, which as you can understand with the amount of hits this site gets, very quickly chews up his outgoing traffic. It's pretty painful to have your upstream saturated, trust me :)

However i'm willing to donate the DNS delegation of the domain, host the domain and the assocated website free of charge.

Comments would be appreciated :)
Apache2Triad from sourceforge would do the trick perfectly on Win2003. It installs apache, SQL and PHP which is required to run PHPBB.

This is another reason I suggested bur.st - donating accounts (donations can be $1 or $100, depends on what you want to donate, once off donation too) comes with the webspace, shell access, PHP hosting, and an SQL database for your own private use. They also host the DNS, mail and everything else relating to the setup.

There are many paths you can follow but I have found in the past that bur.st just make it easy.

:)
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Yeah bur.st is another reliable option for sure. Cheap and good :)
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

warsug.info

Post by vk6hgr »

hi all.

As you've probably seen, our new domain name - warsug.info - is active! :P

Tell everyone about http://warsug.info

Happy scanning.
Last edited by vk6hgr on Tue May 30, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

sweet
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

I strongly agree with madmikey's comment on the previous page.
Lovin the new name site