OT: WARSUG Web site

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Tom wrote:I also feel that if it was a restricted membership that more members would be encouraged to attend 'WARSUG' meetings and outings as it would be more user friendly..and we could get to know each other.

At the end of the day, we might not always agree with each others postings at times and personalites might clash, but we all share a similar interest....
I agree about us all sharing an interest, but I just don't see that joining an internet forum should involve people feeling pressured about turning up to real world events. Some of the people on here live a ways out of Perth, and for me personally that plus a ridiculously busy job just mean that attending those kinds of things is (for the large part) just not going to happen.

Anyways, I'm still happy to chip in for a domain, but I'm not sure about the 'reviewed membership' deal.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

meg wrote:
Anyways, I'm still happy to chip in for a domain, but I'm not sure about the 'reviewed membership' deal.
Just a suggestion at this stage... keep em coming :-)

All donations so far will be going towards registering an easier to remember domain name for the website. 8)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Meg,

I think the purpose of the membership would be to 'weed' out the weirdos and the lechers out their and people who use this info on this site for criminal purposes e.g. the WAPOL scanner frequencies.

I had had a couple of incidents where I've been out with my camera taking pics and on one occasion some copper with a 'superhero' attitude confronted me and wanted to know what I was doing. Also had a similar experience with some t*ss-pot at Royal Perth Hospital where I was taking a pic of UQ107 came and gave me the shits, once I read him the riot act about public vehicles, public places he soon ran off like a sheepish dog.

It's up to Gav, in the end but the world has become a worse place since 9/11.

cheers

Tom
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Tom wrote:It's up to Gav, in the end but the world has become a worse place since 9/11.
The logical end point to that thinking though is that the cops _will_ be able to stop you from photographing their cars :wink:

I agree it's up to Gavin, but I feel that reviewing membership is:
1. going to stop some genuine people from joining
2. create an administrative workload for Gavin
3. not neccesarily going to prevent people from doing "the wrong thing" with information on here anyway.
And there's plenty other ways that WAPOL frequencies can be found - on the net or otherwise.

Last of all, there's the possibility that if Gavin takes some responsibility for who is and isn't allowed to post/read then he could also be assumed to have some responsibility for what is posted here and who does what with any of the information in those posts. Far-fetched? Only at the moment...

(for the record, I do this kind of thinking for online services for a living)
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

The logical end point to that thinking though is that the cops _will_ be able to stop you from photographing their cars
How's that Meg?

I can photograph anything that is within the public eye?? Their is no law against it....

As long as your not taking photographs of intricate equipment (communications gear) or hindering the vehicle from carrying out it's lawful duty their is nothing to stop anyone......

cheers

Tom
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

If you want it members only could we perhaps have a guest section and members only section. The mebers only section being designed for those who contribute the $10 I dont know much about pay pal but some time tomorrow I will be donating my $10 into Gavs account I could use my user name as who it was paid in from so Gav knows who has paid and who hasn. I dont mind it being open for all still but to keep everyone happy perhaps that is the way to go.
meg

Post by meg »

Tom wrote:
The logical end point to that thinking though is that the cops _will_ be able to stop you from photographing their cars
How's that Meg?

I can photograph anything that is within the public eye?? Their is no law against it....
Not yet, but as I said if they decide to change the laws because the world's not the same since 9/11... :shock:
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

I agree with this site remaining accessible to the public for those interested in scanning as it is by and large now...

If necessary a members section can be made available for material/forums etc. that you don't wish the general public to contribute to or view...

My $10 in tomorrow, and if as suggested on this thread earlier, everyone that contributes quotes their member logon id for gavin's sanity on who has or hasn't donated, if necessary

My 2 cents worth, or is that $10 worth...
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

My 2 cents worth, or is that $10 worth...
lol

I'll chip-in..
As for the rest of it, I'm neither here nor there as there are pro's and con's if any changes are made. I'll leave that up to the rest of you to sort out and of course in the end it comes down to Gav!

Jo :wink:
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

now that where chiping in donations does that mean you'll consider a towies thread? :lol:
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

doogues71 wrote:now that where chiping in donations does that mean you'll consider a towies thread? :lol:
No :wink:
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

party poopper! :lol:
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Haha!
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

As the one that had the idea i'm not trying to steal anything away from gavin (as i now know who he is) this site and forum is awesome for reference to scanning stuff in WA.
But the whole point behind my original idea was for the domain and web hosting only to try and get the group looking a bit more professional and easier to access.
I did not intend on it to be a way for the site to become a fully private site as it elliminates the point of having it... and people can get all the info from a number of other sources on the web.
In my opinion by the sound of some of the posts the pople that want to have it restricted are the ones that want it for there own exclusivity.

Just something you all should know with the ideas you are throwing about, to have a fee paying setup for access to the site, will mean that the group has to be registered as an organisation, and then has all the other costs and setups that every organisation has to have. that was not the intention.
I don't think anyone should have to pay if they don't want to, or be required to attend metteing if they don't want to it should be free, and that way will encourage more memberships.

And for gavin, you need to have an ABN to register any .au domain, and be a a proper organisation for any .asn or .org domain to be registered.

These are my thoughts on the matter... and i'm sure alot of you will have alot to say about it, thus the joy of the free forums.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

madmikey wrote: I don't think anyone should have to pay if they don't want to, or be required to attend metteing if they don't want to it should be free, and that way will encourage more memberships.
I agree. It's more fun that way :-)
And for gavin, you need to have an ABN to register any .au domain, and be a a proper organisation for any .asn or .org domain to be registered.
Hmm. Nuts. They sure make getting .au domains hard to get... :cry:
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR