New Penalties

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Cameron wrote:
WPXZBP wrote:A lot of people are not capable of handling that speed safely. Especially because our roads do leave a lot to be desired.
A lot of people can't even do 50kph safely, so how long do you think we should cater to the retard crowd that can barely tie their own shoes without hurting themselves?

I'm a regular guy, I pay my taxes, I pay my rates, I work and look after my wife. I don't do anything to try and make anybody elses life hard, but if I'm out in the car or on the bike on a highway in the middle of nowhere and I open the taps, all of a sudden I'm public enemy number 1? There's no balance in these "hoon" laws at all.

Notice there's been no increase in drink driving punishments? State MP's would sure hate not being able to drive home out of their minds after "work"...
And whilst you are " Opening the Taps ", in the middle of nowhere and something happens ie blow a tyre, you will be yet another cross on the road for us all to pass un-necessarily.Hoepfully at the time no-one else is with you.

Agree that the drink driving penalties should be greater. The introduction of having to blow a legal limit before starting cxar would be a great step, however people will always find a way around it like getting a mate to blow or just driving others cars.

In the end it will come down to driver attitude.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

bomber wrote:And whilst you are " Opening the Taps ", in the middle of nowhere and something happens ie blow a tyre, you will be yet another cross on the road for us all to pass un-necessarily.Hoepfully at the time no-one else is with you.
I maintain my vehicles and don't take any stupid risks and I sure as shit don't endanger other people. The 1 in a million chance that something untoward might go wrong won't stop me doing as I wish.

Stupid risks are for idiots that think they're invincible, I've got a wife to come home to every day and I'm well aware of my own mortality.

You can die just as effectively in your bathtub pal, you can live your life surrounded by cotton wool if that makes you feel more comfortable though.
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

In relation to the road toll it is quite simply a mixture of two things. The majority of fatalities occur in the country areas. It's usually because of lack of sleep or inattention that is why people are killed.

Fines being increased is not the answer, we’ve had fine increases double demerits etc etc and that has not helped. Lack of visibility (police) on the roads is also a factor.

What I believe would help save lives

1 – Mandatory driver safety training. Drivers attempting to go for their P plates must pass a test that sees them navigate wet roads, gravel roads and an instructor putting them in a position where the vehicle is out of control. Many drivers simply do not know how to react to accidents or when their car starts leaving the road.

2 – ESC standard on all new vehicles from 2010

3 – Police going to 1 officer per car, plenty of resources are wasted with two officers per car. I know it’s the norm to have two per car here but in the US they usually (minus a couple of states) have one officer per car and it seems police have more time for patrols, and general traffic duties.

The last point my spur some debate from both sides (for and against) but I’m all for trailing one officer per vehicle even in one district to start with.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I agree with Ausrob for the most part, except on this point:
Ausrob wrote:2 – ESC standard on all new vehicles from 2010
Gagdets don't save people. I honestly feel that an electronic security blanket isn't going to make a lick of difference when inattentive behaviour and poor driving come to play.

Hell, it could even make people lazier than they already are. I don't think it's a bad feature to have, but I honestly feel that government controls to force manufacturers into such design limitations is dangerous behaviour. Let the free market decide that one.

What really busts me up about stats like this, is that "they" keep screaming about the road toll being too high, but it's all relative. There are far more cars and far more drivers on the road now than there was in 1980, but far less people are being killed.

Doesn't that say everything we need to know? The numbers don't lie, just the people trying to impose further limitations. Think for yourselves people, actually go and look up the statistics, you'll see it's nowhere near as bad as you're being led to believe.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

News: Carpenter cracks down on hoons

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 153084.htm
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
JPhillips

Post by JPhillips »

Cameron wrote:
bomber wrote:And whilst you are " Opening the Taps ", in the middle of nowhere and something happens ie blow a tyre, you will be yet another cross on the road for us all to pass un-necessarily.Hoepfully at the time no-one else is with you.
I maintain my vehicles and don't take any stupid risks and I sure as shit don't endanger other people. The 1 in a million chance that something untoward might go wrong won't stop me doing as I wish.

Stupid risks are for idiots that think they're invincible, I've got a wife to come home to every day and I'm well aware of my own mortality.
Its the same as getting hit by a car while crossing the street. Theres a chance of it happening but is it going to stop you. When i speed i call it safe speeding (even though people say no speeding is safe) For example i woudnt speed during peak hour and sweve in and out of cars at close distance where as when it is at night and it is quite and no one around i might do 5 - 10km/h over speed limit but safely.
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

Cameron wrote: Gagdets don't save people. I honestly feel that an electronic security blanket isn't going to make a lick of difference when inattentive behaviour and poor driving come to play.
Hi Cameron,

Excellent feedback this might be one of the few forums that I visit that actually sparks some debate rather than some half assed truths and constant rubbish.

In terms of ESC I believe it's more than a gadget it's been shown to save lives. The issue here while it will filter down over the years to other vehicles it's the amount of time it takes. I have no doubt in 15 years time ESC will be standard on all vehicles. ESC helps in preventing people overcorrect their vehicles and allows drivers with little ability to in most cases stop their vehicle quickly and effectivley. It also helps greatly by reducing the risk of roll over.

Hell, it could even make people lazier than they already are. I don't think it's a bad feature to have, but I honestly feel that government controls to force manufacturers into such design limitations is dangerous behaviour. Let the free market decide that one.
I don't believe it will make people lazier. I have cruise control and don't use it. That's a useless feature that is likely a contributing factor to deaths (and why has it not been investigated?) ESC only enables when it detects something out of the ordinary it won't keep you on the road when your driving a round a bend without turning the wheel.

As above Australian's need to wait for safety improvements for years while our counterparts in Europe and the US get these things fitted for free. I don't see why we should be forced to pay for a Merc or BMW when we can force Kia, Ford, Holden to implement such systems as it does not cost them much to fit at the time of manufacture. If the government were serious they would be talking to the federal government about this.

.[/quote]
yorky

Post by yorky »

CH10 news clip on my YouTube link.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Ausrob wrote:As above Australian's need to wait for safety improvements for years while our counterparts in Europe and the US get these things fitted for free. I don't see why we should be forced to pay for a Merc or BMW when we can force Kia, Ford, Holden to implement such systems as it does not cost them much to fit at the time of manufacture. If the government were serious they would be talking to the federal government about this.
But we *do* pay mate.

Every time a government control is forced onto what is supposed to be the free market, we all end up paying for it.

If I want a $10k buzz box (as Daihatsu used to provide), I'm more than capable of driving it safely. I don't need a government nanny-body hanging over my shoulder protecting me from myself ;)

I just wish other people could take some damn responsibility too, instead of hanging out pleading for "the gubb'mint" to do something about everything they disagree with.

If I had my way, everybody who can't use a round-a-bout correctly would be systematically bricked in the face, I'm not about to suggest government bodies should control that any moreso though.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

Cameron wrote: If I had my way, everybody who can't use a round-a-bout correctly would be systematically bricked in the face
ROFL!

"You always indicate left when you're exiting a roundabout! Left! Do you hear me? LEFT!" "Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!"
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
JPhillips

Post by JPhillips »

vk6hgr wrote:
Cameron wrote: If I had my way, everybody who can't use a round-a-bout correctly would be systematically bricked in the face
ROFL!

"You always indicate left when you're exiting a roundabout! Left! Do you hear me? LEFT!" "Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!"
No offence to anyone but looks like most asians would get bricked in the face
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

or go over the round about for those mentally challenged
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

i thought you are meant to go over the roundabouts???
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

And this guy gets the Darwin Award for today hence a reason these new laws will be great.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx? ... ntID=57044
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

Markmywords wrote:And this guy gets the Darwin Award for today hence a reason these new laws will be great.
Ok so this bloke (allegedly) wilfully did burnouts in a police station carpark, while DUI, without a full license. He was caught and the existing laws cover things quite nicely.

How have the new laws made any difference apart from the higher penalty? If the road toll (which in itself is a dubious measure of driver behaviour) decreases, does that mean the fines will decrease? Didn't think so.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR