Hello from News @ Night

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

godinoz

Re: Hello from News @ Night

Post by godinoz »

Ludacris wrote:
godinoz wrote: Now Turbo, I hate to rock your boat, but there are a lot of independant stringers (freelance) out there, so you aren't the only ones with cameras out there. :lol:
Doubt you would rock his boat.... Very strange comment to make
Well he did state that he should be the only crew with cameras... So not really a strange coment.... :shock:
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

How many other freelance guys do you think you will see at 4am poking their cameras at a traffic crash on the Kwinana freeway?

Think about it...
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Spartan wrote:is that number directly to you or your crew?
I'm assuming that sms is appropriate too?
Yeah sms would be great! Because sometimes we would have heard what you are calling about and be tied up on other calls making enquiries. Cant wait to hear from the first WARSUG member!
godinoz wrote:Now Turbo, I hate to rock your boat, but there are a lot of independant stringers (freelance) out there, so you aren't the only ones with cameras out there.
Hmm, interesting. We are under contract by the TV stations, meaning we get paid if we film or not. Freelance get paid if they provide footage that the stations want. If we are doing are job, we will already have that footage and the stations are not gonna pay twice for the same footage.

I have NEVER seen another camera crew (other than those from the stations) out on a job we have been too.

We are good friends with a stringer that lives in the hills who we are in touch with - eg if their is a single fatal out of our zone we will pass it on to him - and he is often on the scanner and we let us know of jobs.

A full-time freelance news cameraman (video) would really really struggle in Perth - thats probably why their isnt any.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Joss wrote: Turbo,
I spoke with Ros Weatherall (Police Media) about this today and she said pretty much the same. The media get access to a delayed feed but she wasn't up to speed on the exact delay time. She is going to get back to me with more info.
Interesting that with the huge amount of money the Police are spending on a new encrypted communications system, they are to punch holes in it so 3rd parties (even the media) can listen in.

I mean, isn't the whole point of the exercise so nobody can listen to their communications? If not, then they shouldn't bother with encryption and everyone who wants to listen and can afford a $1k APCO25 digital scanner should be able to do so.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

That is great news for the media, but I do see Gav's point. So much money yet they are willing to punch holes in it.

Hmm, now how do I convince the techs at work to pop the output of the "special scanner" into a tie line so I can listen to it on night shifts :)
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Yeah just to confirm - I am not positive WE will be getting this. And it wont be listening to anything - it will be text - most likely a login on the web or something.
BF

Post by BF »

I can confirm that the media won't be listening to the communications. As Turbo said it will come in text form when WAPOL decide to release the information. That information could come straight away or be delayed for operational reasons.
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

Mind you with the goodwill Andre has built up over the years I wouldn't expect too much of a delay for news at night.

If only the mainstream media cottoned on to this they wouldn't be facing the situation that will be happening shortly.

In other jurisdictions the media have taken law enforcement organisations to court claiming they have a right to listen in if it is in the public interest. The release of information by WAP should help reduce the "what about me" factor from mainstream media.