WARSUG suggestions thread

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

someone stop everyone's move over to digital...or at least borrow a digital radio and plug it in online! :P

From my point of view having joined only semi-recently joined, once the main fire season finnished things slowed down a little bit, we see/here more in the police and ambulance forums, which is fair enough, you can't exactly talk about huge wildfires in kalamunda, if there are no huge wildfires happening in Kala at the time. I personally find pictures being a pain to upload for others. Is there enough space on the server to create a couple of folders, have ftp server service running and users can upload pictures or whatever to the ftp site and then just link to that picture i.e www.warsug.info/pictures/fires/LocationMMYYY/name.jpg no pictures more than 2MB or something like that. That way you don't have tempramental sites that decide because you're not a member and paying money that your photo can only stay up for 1 month. Is it something that maybe we need to all chip in and purchase a 500GB drive for that sort of thing, or a RAID card and 3 drives for RAID5.
I know a dodgy chinaman that'll sell good quality things to you for cheap! :)
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

I wouldnt mind Administration creating a proper thread for suggestions as opposed to putting them all in such a negetive thread
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

jmmw wrote:I wouldnt mind Administration creating a proper thread for suggestions as opposed to putting them all in such a negetive thread
Done 8)
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Tyranus wrote:Is there enough space on the server to create a couple of folders, have ftp server service running and users can upload pictures or whatever to the ftp site and then just link to that picture
Good thought!

It may be possible to do, or it may not, but thanks for getting the ball rolling and coming up with ideas :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

The thing with pictures are that if you upload one picture of say 1 mb to a server via the site and say 50 people click onto the thread then that 1 mb picture becomes 52 mb's of data.

1 mb received, 1 mg sent to you in a preview then 50 mb to 50 other users.

all add up closer and closer to the limit, assuming we have a limit?
Last edited by jmmw on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

jmmw wrote: all add up closer and closer to the limit, assuming we have a limit?
No limit, but with the site pushing 3Gb/month already, I'm hesitant to add picture hosting as well...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Is it possible to add extra fields to the Profile part of the Site, for ID numbers i.e: WAPOL, SJA, FESA, ADF employee numbers; VFRS number, BFS number, SES number etc. This way it can be easier to identify members, particularly when it comes to the police force etc. These would of course be optional, but could help with ID.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
StreetBob

Post by StreetBob »

jmmw wrote:The thing with pictures are that if you upload one picture of say 1 mb to a server via the site and say 50 people click onto the thread then that 1 mb picture becomes 52 mb's of data.

1 mb received, 1 mg sent to you in a preview then 50 mg to 50 other users.

all add up closer and closer to the limit, assuming we have a limit?
I have asked the same question on another forum (MX5) site I use. If it's done properly (don't ask me how), all the replies etc just link back to the original pic. No multiplication.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Thanks to a suggestion by auntys_eyes, we now have a brand new section - Media, which is part of the Miscellaneous group.

This section is for discussion of anything media related. For example, TV shows like The Force, Motorway Patrol, RPA etc will fit here perfectly. As will threads dealing with media vehicles, news gathering procedures, all that sort of thing.

If you see a thread in another part of the site that you think might be better suited to the new Media section, send me a quick PM with the thread title and which section it's currently in and I'll take a look.

Cheers,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Cool, good work Doug.

Cheers,
Dougy :lol:
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Hey Doug, just logged on after being in Port Hedland since last Thursday. Great work setting up the new Media section, and thanks for taking my humble suggestions on board. Cheers :D
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Tyranus wrote: I know a dodgy chinaman that'll sell good quality things to you for cheap! :)
You know a DODGY chinaman that'll sell good QUALITY things... How does that work? =/ am i the only one seeing a problem with that sentence?

Regards
-Mike :roll:
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Midnight wrote:
Tyranus wrote: I know a dodgy chinaman that'll sell good quality things to you for cheap! :)
You know a DODGY chinaman that'll sell good QUALITY things... How does that work? =/ am i the only one seeing a problem with that sentence?

Regards
-Mike :roll:
:lol: great point!
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Yes your right, I dont think "dodgy" and "quality" can go in the same sentence!!!

:lol:
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Good I am glad I'm not the only one :P

-Mike :smt065