Polair 61 Nov 06

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

pirahna

Polair 61 Nov 06

Post by pirahna »

hello,

poliar 61 fans out there

yes polair 61 is back in the air after recently the engine and rotors being stripped and overhauled at kawasaki in japan. welcome back

news recently: there is talk about getting a second police helicopter for perth
talks are there looking at 2 types of helicopter
hughes 500 or ec145. what are your thoughts?

nov 15/06: i have been told that polair 61 will be around at the red bull air
race with flyby's and possibly will be on the ground for display at
langley park.
gkoutlis

Re: Polair 61 Nov 06

Post by gkoutlis »

pirahna wrote:hello,

poliar 61 fans out there

yes polair 61 is back in the air after recently the engine and rotors being stripped and overhauled at kawasaki in japan. welcome back

news recently: there is talk about getting a second police helicopter for perth
talks are there looking at 2 types of helicopter
hughes 500 or ec145. what are your thoughts?

nov 15/06: i have been told that polair 61 will be around at the red bull air
race with flyby's and possibly will be on the ground for display at
langley park.
Roger that and good day to you- Yes your rumour is correct - The WAPOL is looking for a second Polair Helicopter to join 61 exclusivly to expand there capabilities....

Well - the Hughes 500 series looks awsome - kinda smile, but its fast and agile -

Type: MD500 (Hughes 369D) Helicopter
Type Engine: Allison 250-C20B turbo shaft 420 Horsepower
Crew: 1 pilot and up to 3 Passangers/Crew
Service Ceiling: 12,500 feet (without supplemental oxygen)
16,000 feet (with supplemental oxygen)
Airspeed: Hover to 156 knots
Max. Gross weight: 3,000 pounds (1361 kilograms)
Empty Weight: 1550 pounds (703 kilograms)
Useful Load: 1450 pounds (658 kilograms) (fuel, personnel, and cargo)
Fuel Load: 400 pounds (60 gallons) - standard fuel load
160 pounds (25 gallons) - additional capability with the addition of one auxiliary fuel tank

Type Fuel: Jet A, Jet B, JP4, JP8
Fuel Burn Rate: 180 pounds/hour (~28 gallons/hour)
Range (normal): 225 Nautical miles ~2.2 hours @110 knots
Range (w/aux. fuel): 300 Nautical miles ~2.8 hours @110 knots
Dimensions (external): Main rotor span - 26.41 feet
Total length - 30.84 feet
Tail height - 8.9 feet
Dimensions (internal): 42" Long x 42" Wide x 36" High
Navigation: GPS receiver
Radar Altimeter
VOR with DME
Automatic Direction Finder (ADF)
Communication: Two VHF Radios (117-135 Megahertz)
Marine Band FM/VHF Radio (150-174 Megahertz)
Transponder with Mode C
Intercom System

Additional Equipment/Capabilities:

Cargo Hook for external loads up to 1000 pounds
Emergency Pop-out Floats for over-water operations
High skid gear for underslung equipment
belly to ground clearance- 2.4 feet
Helicopter is transportable on cargo airplane
Passenger compartment work station (table) with:
12volt DC laptop computer power supply
Digital Radar Altimeter readout and RS232 computer drop
Magnetic compass
Digital Timer
GPS aircraft position readout and RS232 computer drop (Latitude/Longitude)
Crew and Cabin Doors removable

For pics - check this link - http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=113

As for the EC145 Helicopter - Well its almost a look alike of the BK-117 Kawasaki which is what Polair 61 is - check this link out for a short movie - need quicktime to see it....

http://www.eurocopter.com/ec145/fvideos.html

Awsome pics on the EC145 - http://www.eurocopter.com/ec145/fmodern.html

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=206

So my thoughts - I recon go for the Euro Copter 145 as it has the same body style as polair and can do Emergency Airlifts - where as the Hughes can't.... i think i it would be worth while to have another Polair 61 - so if Rescue 65 is down get this next bird in the air to assist.....

Cheers
G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

yer would be good too if polari is needed 1 mighjt already be in the air 1 should be nor and sor so never hjave to worry thst the far away

chris
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

chrissss wrote:yer would be good too if polari is needed 1 mighjt already be in the air 1 should be nor and sor so never hjave to worry thst the far away

chris
Absolutley - One North of the River and One South - but you never know - They could work side by side in big Events.... big out of control parites, riots etc.... I mean look at VIC POL in Melbourne they got a crap load of Choppers that do both Police and Ambulance work - I say as Perth Grows - bring more choppers too.... to ease the pressure of Paramedics...

Anyway - just an idea... :)

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
pirahna

polair 61 nov 06

Post by pirahna »

hello,

thanks for your response to the second police helicopter its still to early to tell what wapol are going to do but they are looking thats what my source says lets just say if you wanting to know my source is very important to the police airwing and wapol.

they are checking into a lot on the hughes 500 becuase they already have the kawasaki bk 117 and that hardly does any paramedic support anymore becuase of rescue 65 coming into affect but i can say they are looking at the hughes 500 becuase its small fast and cheap to run plus they can fit the spotlight to it and the flir , they are sort of looking towards it as a patrol helicopter and it is getting a few thumbs up instead of the ec145 but its still early to tell. will get back to you all on it?

FACT:

the ec145 is a remake of the kawasaki bk117 (aka polair 61 helicopter) kawasaki stop making the bk117 after its last model the b-2 and eurocopter then designed a better looking bk117 which would become the EC145. The EC145 has a few improvements to the bk117 its stability is a lot stronger in the air and can move a bit quick then the bk117 however it is a more expensive to run than the bk117 (aka polair 61)
pirahna

polair 61 nov 06

Post by pirahna »

hello fans,

i have an update on the red bull air race polair 61 has been on the ground with the red bull helicopter at the sir james mitchell park today polair 61 was up in the air a few times but mostly the red bull helicopter

tommorow POLAIR 61 will be back at the same location on the park oval so if you want to see it will be there from 9am and all day during the race

cheers
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Mate your wealth of knowledge should be commended - Cheers for that info..

I agree with you mate - the Hughes chopper looks awsome - small, fast and agile, and looks good - so I guess we'll wait and see what happens - please keep us posted....

Thanks again mate....

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

seems silly to get another helicopter when they hardly use the one they've got.And yes saw polair 61 down at South Perth.Parked at the police compond.No pics SORRY.
DOCKERS for PREMIERS 2008!!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

doogues71 wrote:seems silly to get another helicopter when they hardly use the one they've got.And yes saw polair 61 down at South Perth.Parked at the police compond.No pics SORRY.
Maybe not doogues - Polair 61 has been having mechanical issues for ages now - and getting a new bird when Polair 1 is down is a great idea... that way WAPOL will maintain coverage in the sky's while Polair 61 goes in for repairs etc (could be another 7 months before she is up and running) - Imagine if WAPOL had to deal with Schoolies out of control parties or Riots else where - with no Polair 61??? Wouldn't it be wise to have a second WAPOL chopper to step in and assist our Men & Women who try there best to put out trouble???

Cheers
G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

I agree with you about when polair 61 is down there'll be another to replace it.But polair hardly maintains the skies as it is now.And how many times have we heard NO POLAIR available and where will they get the pilots from.I'm all for another polair but will they use it more than they have with polair 61.
DOCKERS for PREMIERS 2008!!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

doogues71 wrote:I agree with you about when polair 61 is down there'll be another to replace it.But polair hardly maintains the skies as it is now.And how many times have we heard NO POLAIR available and where will they get the pilots from.I'm all for another polair but will they use it more than they have with polair 61.
You have a point there my good friend - But i keep hearing the pilots onboard Polair 61 on a particular channel saying - "We've done hours for the day we are heading back to Jandakot"

So i think and i underline that - I think - that maybe Polair 61/62 is restricted by red-tape - to reduce the flying costs of the aircraft - perhaps someone can confirm this??? You are definatley right though - sometime when Polair 61 is really needed by WAPOL ground units - its "unavailable" - so i am starting to see this both ways - so cheers
G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member