News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Police powers

Post by jmmw »

hey,

this is more directed at the serving members.

i was wondering what powers police have to search someones person? (adults and juvinials)

when are they allowed to search your vehicle?
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

numerous powers of search under Police Act, Misuse of Drugs Act, Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Regs, Weapons Act, Criminal Code etc etc.

Depends what the senario is.

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Thought I migh as well ad that Transit Guards have powers to search under the Public Transport Authority Act.

They can search on reasonable suspicion that you may be carrying anything that may endanger passengers or damage PTA property.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
dave
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dave »

a few years ago, I was walking home from work, through the park(i was 16 at the time) and I have know idea why, but two police officers wanted me to empty my pockets, take off my shoes and look inside.

Are they right in not explaining there reason, or do they have to justify why?

PS. I did ask why, and they just said that they wanted to, I obviously obliged as I had nothing on me
fly_on_the_wall

Post by fly_on_the_wall »

Last edited by fly_on_the_wall on Tue May 15, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Why if you have nothing to hide why worry..... People don't just get pulled over and searched for nothing........ Nothing has changed for years, Warrants are still needed for searching houses...
Never needed a warrant for searching a car or perso
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
fly_on_the_wall

Last edited by fly_on_the_wall on Tue May 15, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

i have been pulled over 13 times and been subject to random vehicle searches in the last 4 yrs and its all a crock of shit, 3 of them have been in WA and the remaining 10 times in NSW/ACT. each and every time the officers have stated its a random search !!!!! so how do you justify the fact that they only target people with reasonable suspicion of being in possession of something.
fly_on_the_wall,

Dude I think you need to ask yourself why you've been pulled over 13 times in the last 4 years.

Do you drive an 'attention seeking' car?

I also think it has something to do with one's attitude when they are pulled over...if your friendly and polite most of the time you'll be back on the road in a couple of minutes..

Maybe a good look in the mirror at yourself might not be a bad idea. :roll:
my 2 cents worth, and if anyone wants to have a go at me for my views, lets do it, you will loose, i will not back down on this one.
Interesting comment, sounds to me like you are out to start shit...people are entitled to an opinion, if someone doesn't agree with your opinion...just cross them off you Xmas card list you don't have to soil your jocks over it. :wink:
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

fly_on_the_wall wrote:its all a load of bullshit, police powers have gotten way out of control. even if you dont have nothing to hide why should you be subject to a search just because some jerk thinks his king shit because he has a badge and a gun, woopty doo.

where have the days gone where a person ACTUALLY had privacy. i have been pulled over 13 times and been subject to random vehicle searches in the last 4 yrs and its all a crock of shit, 3 of them have been in WA and the remaining 10 times in NSW/ACT. each and every time the officers have stated its a random search !!!!! so how do you justify the fact that they only target people with reasonable suspicion of being in possession of something.

this world has gone mad. yes i do think police do a great job overall, but there are many areas where there needs to be big improvements. my comments are not directed at either states police forces in particular, but as a whole. 99% of the smartarse officers are only 20-25 and have no life experience and think that their shit dont stink. thats where it needs to change, how about recruiting people who have actual life experience and know how do deal with people.

my 2 cents worth, and if anyone wants to have a go at me for my views, lets do it, you will loose, i will not back down on this one.
A 20-25 year old may not have life experience, but he is there willing to stick his neck out when others need him..... I am all in for training people and how are you suppose to get coppers with years experience if they don't start at a young age.... WAPOL are struggling as it is now for applicants but you want to make the minimum age 26years old.....

You just seem so opinionated on it and its obviously something that annoys you, but it will never ever change... Its the way of life and the society we live in today
fly_on_the_wall

Last edited by fly_on_the_wall on Tue May 15, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

why dont you join up and show us that you can do a better job then eh?

put your money where your mouth is!
fly_on_the_wall

where the hell did u get the idea that i said i can do a better job ? all i said was that as far as im concerned its police harassment and that some young officers think they are god and can do whatever the hell they want.
dave
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dave »

fly_on_the_wall wrote:i have been pulled over 13 times
13 times, if your driving sensibly, and in a normal car that doesn't say look at me, you will have mor chance at being the sole winner of a $25 million lotto draw.

I have beened pulled over twice in the past 3 years and one of them was only a booze bus, which I went through without hassle. The other was justified as I did not have my seatbelt on.

Though I do think they should have justify there reason to do a search

But the law is the Law, anyone don't like it-why not get into politics and try and change it. I don't see many people jumping up and down to be a politition
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Harrasment would be by One particular officer... Not random times being pulled over.....