The Force - few questions about the WAPOL cars

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

almo899

The Force - few questions about the WAPOL cars

Post by almo899 »

Finally got to see The Force last night, and it was great to see we finally have a home-grown cop show showing what our cops really do out there, so bravo CH7!

A few things I picked up on last night's show in regards to the police vehicles... The unmarked Commodore on the traffic stop appeared to have flashing reverse lights in conjunction with the normal LEDs and front deckblaster. First time I have ever seen that on a WAPOL car.

Secondly, I am wondering whats with the red light mounted on the ceiling of the cars pointed down at the passenger side? Is it just a "covert" light source so officers can still see in the dark? I've seen a few patrol cars at night driving past with a glowing red interior, but always thought it was probably the radar speed readout etc.

Just my 2 cents of curiosity =P
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

The red light is purely a reading/writing light.... Its just not as bright as the normal car interior light, Making it easier for the driver....
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Last edited by gkoutlis on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

gkoutlis wrote:
Ludacris wrote:The red light is purely a reading/writing light.... Its just not as bright as the normal car interior light, Making it easier for the driver....
Radar opperators use this light in their cars as well at night time....while they wait during camera opperation.... 8)
Do you mean Multa-Nova Operators, this only only so they can read the paper
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Are we alowed to drive around with a red reading light or is it one rule for us and another for them???
BF

Post by BF »

They wouldn't be in the cars if they weren't allowed to be used legally!!!! so that probably answers your question.

Secondly, the flashing reverse lights were used on a few cars but Dept of Transport said they weren't allowed as you can't have white light at the vehicles rear apart from when reversing obviously.

Strange as all police vehicles in Victoria use the flashing reverse lights on their vehicles.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

JG-103 wrote:Are we alowed to drive around with a red reading light or is it one rule for us and another for them???
What's wrong with the pretty white light that comes with your car ??
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

almo899:

Secondly, I am wondering whats with the red light mounted on the ceiling of the cars pointed down at the passenger side? Is it just a "covert" light source so officers can still see in the dark?

yes it is to help them see in the dark- well kinda- It take us approx 30 mins to gain optimum vision at night- our eyes adjust slowly to the night whilst it produces a chemical that helps our rods and cones called visual purple.

However it only takes 2 seconds for that to be destroyed by light. In the dark you can only see shades of grey and and very little colour, they use red light as it doesnt destroy the night vision to much. Plus it also dosent reflect as much light as not to distract the driver.

Antt
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

JG-103 wrote:Are we alowed to drive around with a red reading light or is it one rule for us and another for them???
Perhaps the serving members of this group could confirm this...

They were standard issue in Ford Fairmonts years ago so I would presume that it is legal for all road users...they were in the back for rear passengers to read... they were white and red... round light with top half white lens, bottom half red lens.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Millsy wrote:
What's wrong with the pretty white light that comes with your car ??
Because last time i heard it was illegal to drive around with ur white map light on.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Nice work GK :D
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Last edited by gkoutlis on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.