Laser 472 UHF On Glass UHF CB Antenna

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

yorky

Laser 472 UHF On Glass UHF CB Antenna

Post by yorky »

Hi all,

I was looking at this product:

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php ... ts_id=2300

And was wondering what the performance would be like, for receive only.

Transmitting I can tell most of you will say don't bother and I would have to agree transmitting from inside a car at window angle wouldn't do wonders for range.

But my application would just be a scanner, I currently use a normal 477Mhz antenna and it works tip top for anything. I am also trialling a mobile phone like on glass 477Mhz for receive only and it works fine as well (maybe 20% worse than the normal external antenna for far away signals).

Thoughts? Maybe I should be the Guinea pig? If it was a few dollars I wouldn't hesitate, but $55 (and on eBay) is a bit steep.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Laser 472 UHF On Glass UHF CB Antenna

Post by Blinky »

I don't know for sure but my initial thoughts are it would perform less than what you already have.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yep, I don't expect it to perform better at all, just good enough.

I just want to get rid of the external antenna as the boot lid chews the cable up.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Just an update for those interested, I purchased one of these.

I tested it side by side receive only with an RFI glass mount (mobile phone style) on another radio at the same time. I can't rule out one radio being slightly better than the other though (on glass is GME CB, Laser is Uniden CB).

Performance is definitely poorer than an external antenna, this was almost garranteed. However it is still 'ok'. If you are stuck needing to use this I'd say go ahead, for short range or receive only for good transmissions.

I have not tested the range but was able to trigger the CH1 repeater from at least 20k's away, and talked to a truck 100m away.

I have also tested a receive only internal antenna from eBay (two sucky cups onto the window connected to a bit of wire) and that was worse, unless the signal was perfect it was almost useless.